Scribal Work Shop Nessie Purple

jgrasty

I took a day off from work to go to the Dallas Pen Show this morning, and among my haul of inks and pens was Nessie Purple by Scribal Work Shop, one of the Cryptid inks. I met Mr. Lucas Tucker, the creator of the ink, and doodled a bit with Nessie Purple, and I just couldn't resist buying a bottle. As you'll soon see, it is a very beautiful dark purple ink.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/scribal.jpg

Nessie Purple comes in a bottle that looks a lot like a medicine bottle, and contains 60 ml (2 oz) of ink. The ink has a chemical smell, similar to inks like Rohrer & Klingner, but I can't quite place the scent. Not unpleasant at all, smells like ink, really. I first inked up my Pelikan M400 with a Binder full flex XXF nib and gave the ink a spin about the paper. The ink writes very nicely in this pen, not too wet, not too dry, but also not very lubricated. The color is very pleasing, quite similar to De Atramentis Aubergine. There is a some shading, though not dramatic. I really like it.

Next, I inked up my Pelikan M101N with a B nib converted to cursive italic. With this pen, I would have liked just a bit more lubrication that I observed. Still, the ink performed nicely, with some shading.

The last pen I used was a Pelikan M200 with an M nib that I just had adjusted by John Mottishaw at the Dallas Pen Show (I also bought from him the M320 in the photo above). This nib is nice and wet, and it shows of the dark purple color of Nessie quite well. Here, lubrication was adequate.

For comparison, I added swabs of a couple of similar purples. De Atramentis Aubergine is the closest match, being just slightly more saturated and very slightly more blue than Nessie Purple. Noodler's Purple Heart is slightly more red than Nessie Purple. I also tried to swab Private Reserve Ebony Purple, but that ink exhibited a heavy gold sheen that completely eliminated the purple color, so I'm afraid the swab is worthless. The final sample is Noodler's Concord Grape, but that ink doesn't really resemble Nessie Purple, being much bluer.

Some observations. The ink dries slowly on the Rhodia No 19 DotPad I used for this review, about 30 seconds or thereabouts. There is no bleed through and no feathering.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/scribal-nessie-purple.jpg

I also tried out the ink with the Pelikan M200 on a piece of cheap copier paper. There was no feathering, but there was a trace of bleed through, but almost any ink will do that with this paper.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/scribal-nessie-purple-copier.jpg

I also tested water resistance, and Nessie Purple is partially water resistant. Here is a scan of a 20 second rinse.

http://bettygrastymd.com/jgrasty/wp-content/uploads/scribal-nessie-purple-rinse.jpg

I really like this ink, and with the low price of $8 that I paid for the bottle at the show, quite an economical ink as well. Scribal Work Shop is off to a promising start in the ink business. I understand the inks will be available shortly at one or more of your favorite ink sellers.

Edited by jgrasty

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whitelily

• jgrasty

• raging.dragon

• LucasT

Lucas, it was a pleasure to meet you in Dallas and I'm glad I bought some of your ink.

Highly recommended. :)

That blue is some great looking stuff, too.

great handwriting and I'm sold on the ink for the price -- thanks for the review

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Exquisite colour and script, thank you! :thumbup:

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

Good to see you here, Lucas!

I also bought a bottle of Nessie, and I second the great review. I inked a pen with it when I got home yesterday and it's a beautiful color, neither too red nor too blue. Being of Scottish descent, I couldn't resist an ink called Nessie, with the "beastie" herself on the label, and I'm really glad I chose it. I don't have but one other purple ink (Waterman) and this is very different. Nessie is more understated and elegant.

I stopped at Lucas's table to look at the lovely large sample illuminations he had on display. (He's also a calligrapher as well as an ink maker). For those who do calligraphy and drawing with dip pens, Lucas also makes "historical inks" from traditional recipes. (Think Monks with quills laboring over medieval manuscript illuminations.) Check him out at www.scribalworkshop.com.

• 1 month later...

I think I wrote the first review of this ink in an foreign language, anyway in german :) If you interested to see some other pictures you can follow this link:

Justanotherpen Review

http://justanotherpen.de/penblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/sws-nessie-officepapier.jpg

http://justanotherpen.de/penblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/scw-textscann-719x1024.jpg

http://justanotherpen.de/penblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/magenta-inks-1024x738.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the reviews and tests especially with such nice writing samples.

I've been using my Ink Drop sample of Nessie lately, and I like it. It is the darkest purple I've ever used, and it works well in my pen. Which is to say it writes as wet as the pen usually does, and it is not a hard starter if left unused for a day or three. As well as general purpose writing, I've been using it for addressing envelopes.

I'm putting this on my (very small) wishlist for the next time I buy any ink.

• 1 year later...