Visconti Diamond Jubilee

Rasendyll

First Impressions

This particular Visconti pen has been a little controversial-especially the crown on top. Perhaps photos don't do it justice though, as seen in real life it has a look and feel of quality. Packaging is sensible rather than the often seen inflated LE treatment. The outer box is the standard yellow Visconti cardboard sleeve. Inside this is a hard case with a 'leatherette' finish with a grand looking brass/bronze plaque with a Royal coat of arms on the lid.

http://gatf.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/pen1.jpg

Appearance and Design

In summary, this is a flat top pen, with gold plated trim, in a beautiful gold speckled maroon resin and with a whacking big crown on top. The clip is the earlier Visconti style. (The pen is also offered in a purple/silver form.) That crown has been controversial. I like it, but it probably helps that I'm British born and a died-in-the-wool royalist! That said, this is one of the few pens I wouldn't take to the office riding in a jacket pocket-even for me, a deliberately 'old-fashioned' and rather distinctive dresser this one might draw a little too much attention. On the other hand it sits in pride of place on my desk and I really look forward to using it.

http://gatf.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/pen4.jpg

Weight and Dimensions

Overall this is a big pen-think MB149 plus a little. I like big pens and this one sits comfortably in the hand. For a resin pen it's relatively heavy, but seems well balanced unposted or, for the larger hand, posted.

http://gatf.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/pen2.jpg

Nib and Performance

This is the true joy of this pen. It has a medium palladium nib, and seems to have a true level of flex which approaches an old-fashioned semi-flex nib, and can give some level of line variation even without deliberate pressure-not recommended by the manufacturers. I really enjoy writing with this...

http://gatf.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/pen3.jpg

Filling System

This pen claims to be a piston filler, but is really (I suspect) a captive filler. That said, while I'd rather have a true piston, it doesn't have any of the flow constrictions hat converters have sometimes, so I suppose there's no real criticism here.

Cost and Value

Perhaps the price I paid was a whisker on the high side for largely resin pen, but it's looks and writing performance were such that I just had to have it. Two months on I'm still pleased with it, so I suppose that says it's worth the money.

http://gatf.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/pen5.jpg

Conclusion

This isn't a subtle pen, but I enjoy it. It makes a statement, and is like writing with a comfortable pen sized sceptre. It has lead me to write letters and notes just for the joy of using it, but it is true that I probably won't use it at work. The filler could be a true piston, but if this limited edition had been made by a well known German manufacturer (and in looks and style it could well have been) i would be three times the price. I'm happy I bought it, both as a big pen with a wonderful nib and a reminder of the special (to me) Diamond Jubilee Year.

http://gatf.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/pen6.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rasendyll

• dannyboy

• Voidwalker

• Confucius_cat

Nice review of a lovely pen and, as another British born pen enthusiast and royalist, a pen I have been lusting after! The crown only adds to it in light of what it celebrates, in my opinion.

Edited by Osmaroid

Nice review. These Palladium nibs are certainly something!

The crown might not be appealing to everybody, but it is difficult not to notice the quality of the details.

Enjoy your pen! Who knows, maybe you will be granted an entrance to Buckingham palace when showing it to the guards ;)

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I don't like crowns in general, but having seen both the maroon and the purple pen 'in the flesh', the materials are truly exquisite and very beautiful. I really like that they have used the old-style clip again and being a tad bigger than the Voyager models really becomes it.

I'm curious about the ink you're using. It matches the pen very nicely. And please be careful flexing that Palladium nib. They are delightfully springy but you should not overdo it.

Cheers,

Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Thanks for the nice review, you have great handwriting! I've seen these pens, and the only thing that kept me from buying one is that crown. It is a lot of bling for something not part of my culture, and it feels a lttle cheap. If the same pen came sans crown I'd probably get one. Enjoy!

Peter,

The ink is Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Budo. I'm being duly careful with the nib-though it actually has a natural springy flex that doesn't need forcing. I can't speak to highly of the palladium nibs....

I don't like crowns in general, but having seen both the maroon and the purple pen 'in the flesh', the materials are truly exquisite and very beautiful. I really like that they have used the old-style clip again and being a tad bigger than the Voyager models really becomes it.

I'm curious about the ink you're using. It matches the pen very nicely. And please be careful flexing that Palladium nib. They are delightfully springy but you should not overdo it.

Cheers,

Peter

what a wonderful pen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy1:

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

This review truly made me want to buy that pen. I love those palladium nibs and the resin looks so stunning! Even though I'm not British and not really a royalist (although I have great regards for the Queen) I seriously want one! The only thing that keeps me from buying it is the price or rather my lack of funds and the fact that it would be very hard to choose between the maroon and the purple, both my favourite colours. Does the purple resin version also have those little golden or silver sprinkling highlights that are so nicely visible in these pictures?

An absolutely stunning pen that complements your very nice hand writing. I have been practicing the way you write your capitals.

Thank you for a lovely review. Personally, I would want to have your beautiful italic script handwriting than the pen...if only I could purchase such a thing :notworthy1:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sprinkles are still there, but to my eye more silver, where in the maroon they're more gold.

This review truly made me want to buy that pen. I love those palladium nibs and the resin looks so stunning! Even though I'm not British and not really a royalist (although I have great regards for the Queen) I seriously want one! The only thing that keeps me from buying it is the price or rather my lack of funds and the fact that it would be very hard to choose between the maroon and the purple, both my favourite colours. Does the purple resin version also have those little golden or silver sprinkling highlights that are so nicely visible in these pictures?

Thanks everyone for the kind words re handwriting. That's what an old-fashioned education in schools where they weren't afraid of mild corporal punishment can do for you! Probably worth a small amount of pain in the long run.... :rolleyes:

Your handwriting has a majesty befitting the pen here! Thanks for the nice review and your truly wonderful handwriting.

An absolutely stunning pen that complements your very nice hand writing. I have been practicing the way you write your capitals.

Thank you for a lovely review. Personally, I would want to have your beautiful italic script handwriting than the pen...if only I could purchase such a thing :notworthy1:

As already mentioned, your handwriting is a great compliment to the beauty of this pen! I just recently purchased my first Visconti and yours is make me drool! Enjoy it!

Nino

+1 on Visconti's palladium nibs, they are terrific writers.

+1 on your superb penmanship!

The crown is a bit much for me, it is - if you'll pardon the wordplay - a little over the top. I believe it could have been done more tastefully as a 2-dimensional inlay, perhaps over the very nice clip. Of course, no disrespect intended toward Her Majesty...

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

• 1 month later...

I have had the pleasure of handling one of these at Pen Friend in London and I own the Rollerball, also in the Ruby colour the same as yours. The Rollerball is a fabulous writer and my favourite 'non-fountain pen'. The Celluloid is flecked with real gold dust.

Truthfully, it's a little bling for me with the crown on top, but there is no doubt it is a quality pen with an amazing nib. Congratulations on owning it and also for your hand-writing, which is a joy to see.

Mike

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/mjgordon8081/Briarwood_Capped3.jpg

Nakaya Briarwood Deep Gloss

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years."

• 1 month later...

it is a very feminine desk pen :thumbup: nice color and nice writing. thanks for the review

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank you for an exquisite review of a stunning pen. The crown is the whole point of something that marks our Beloved Majesty's 60th year on the throne. What an achievement and sacrifice. I must also congratulate you on your beautiful handwriting, what a perfect compliment to the lovely pen. I would of course, have to add a brilliant cut diamond or few in the crown..!

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba