Noodler's Yellow

mhphoto

This is a review of an ink which I hated for a time. I'd gotten it in a big batch of samples, knowing it probably wouldn't be my thing. I figured it would mainly be for mixing and highlighter use, with limited use as an actually pen-to-paper ink. And even during the review I wasn't all that sold on it (you'll notice the written review is more critical of the ink than this typed portion).

This ink was light and hard to see on paper as I was writing the review. It behaves well enough, and works just fine in fountain, flex, and dip pens. Dry times are LONG, and I'm not exaggerating that; I got bored of timing the drying samples after the 30 second test.

And after I was done writing the review, my feelings remained just the same: negative.

But today when I picked it up to scan it I noticed that the ink on the page had darkened. It's not a stupendously significant change, but it was enough to notice. Last night after I'd finished writing it out my head was hurting from squinting so darn much. But today it's almost as easy to read as a light green or orange.

I can definitley see mysef picking up a bottle of this, whether it be for writing or mixing, but it's down on the list after many other bottles.

And a disclaimer about the color of the scans. While the scanner picked up the review's color much better than I thought it would, it's still shifted a bit to the orange side. The ink (especially today now that it's sat for 24 hours) has indeed taken on more of an orange tint, but not as much as the scans would imply. I also adjusted the scan's gamma a bit down to make it easier to read, so the real sample is a bit lighter. Just something to keep in mind.

On to the review!

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersYellowMedium.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersYellowPensUsed.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersYellowHunt.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersYellowObservations.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersYellowComparisons.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/NoodlersYellowShading.jpg

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhphoto

• pen2paper

• fiberdrunk

• oshizemi

Top Posters In This Topic

Also note that once the review had sat overnight and darkened, shading became more prominent. Given that, I'd revise my original shading score of 1 up to a 3.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Wow, such a cheery color! I think I need some of this now. Thanks for the review!

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I primarily use mine for mixing. It is a gorgeous color, I just can't read anything written in it straight haha.

"Do you know the legend about cicadas? They say they are the souls of poets who cannot keep quiet because, when they were alive, they never wrote the poems they wanted to."

Thank you for a lovely review. This is a beautiful bright colour it reminds me of Diamine Amber.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the informative and thorough review (from two years ago). I've a bottle of this stuff. My thoughts: 1) Like so much yellow-colored water and 2) interesting what happens overnight.

I got it for mixing with Sheaffer iks, trying to make something a little more interesting out of the turquoise and red and brown. I thought I'd be adding a few cc's of Noodler's Yellow to one of those colors. But I start with a cartridge or convertor almost full of yellow and add only a drop or two of the main color. The yellow is so insignificant all by itself.

It's watery, true, and takes for freakin' ever to dry. Only reasons to own a bottle are if you have a highlighter that can use it or if you're deeply into mixing your own inks. But know that this yellow will make any other ink quite watery, too.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.