Could Someone Tell Me Anything About This Pen?

StarFireLiz

I'm really new to FP and have been lurking on here for quite a while. This is my first post and I just registered recently but I read this forum all day at work :D

I started out with a super cheap pack of disposables and really liked them. I just got my first real *not disposable* FP today and have been using it like crazy!

I really want to get some new pens to start a collection and I've been finding ones I like and looking reviews up here.

I found this one:

http://i.imgur.com/qFkNX.jpg

And all the info I have right now is it is a Fend pen. I can't find any reviews or description on the pen itself like if it uses cartridges or a converter or what.

I was wondering if anyone knew about this pen and could give any sort of review or point me to a site that has info on it?

Also if this is in the wrong area please feel free to move or delete it. I looked around and this was the section I thought it might go in.

Edited by StarFireLiz

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jar

• Sasha Royale

• StarFireLiz

Hi, welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

You're in the right place but I fear I can't tell you anything about the modern Fend pens. The old Fend company was German and made some very nice pens, particularly some great overlay pens made by their Italian company Fendograph.

Wish I could tell you more.

Fend is in my mind as a good pen, not that I ever saw one.

I thought it a dead old German company. Jar :notworthy1: is one to listen too.

Do Not run out and buy a slew of pens.

Learn first.

Go to Richard Binder's com, and spend three fun filled days getting the basics of nibs, filling systems, good advice on inks and :puddle: :drool: see many very pretty vintage and modern pens.

The most important thing about buying pens is patience, no instant gratification.

If you run out and buy pens like they were going out of style, you will run out of money...that is a major sin.

Do Not join the Pen of the Week or Pen of the Month in the Mail Club....been there, done that....could have had a higher class of pen, with patience. :happyberet:

I still got most of those cheap pens, it's I just don't use them enough.

Often you can get a better deal buying 'used' and or vintage.

I buy vintage 98.4% of the time. I like the nibs with some flex more than the modern ones.

A used modern pen can be had for 30-50% cheaper than new, and they are just as good.

I do suggest getting a couple of modern nails...very stiff nibs.

I think you can get much better regular flex nibs with vintage....pre' 70's... Some will take cartridges.

Some see 'flex' pens...and want that too. But do learn definitions of flex. Some say I want a car, then you got to ask, one with two cylinders, 4, 6, 8 or 12. So it is with the flexibility of a nib.

There is much to learn....and it is fun....no tests...no pressure. :thumbup: At first I learned three things a day, and I'm still learning today....a bit less per week....I could learn more about paper.

Got to have good paper to scribble on. Buy computer paper for the computer, and scribble paper. 90g is IMO minimum...stay away from ink jet paper, it is designed to absorb ink as rapidly as possible.

So if you were to use a shading ink on it, it would not shade...

You need to have at least a small spectrum of broader, medium and narrow nibs and a few good to better papers to test an ink.

I have seen over the years, many a one pen guy be vastly disappointed in an ink, due to lack of nib width or flex of nibs and papers.

One has to find the proper combo to make an ink dance at midnight.

There is no hurry, what ever pen you want, will show up again in six weeks to six months. Set your budget and don't go more than 10% over it.

I think first you should chase the nib. Later when you have a good assortment of nib widths and flexes, you can go for an upgrade in hopes of getting a 'better' nib.

B is a fun nib, it adds pizazz to your writing.

After you have an assortment of nail and regular flex, in B, M, F, and EF, you can aim at a Pelikan 140 and a semi-flex nib. You do need a nail F and EF which are easy to find, a regular flex F also.

I advocate working your way up the flex ladder after nail and regular.

Some folks just love butter smooth nails.

Others like a nib with just a touch of feel, so one don't slide right off real good slick paper.

You need both...but don't get locked in with just got to be butter smooth. Many who started here with got to be butter smooth, have changed their mind some with experience.

Writing is 1/3 nib width and flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink, in that order.

We have a great ink review section.

You need both two toned shading inks and vivid monotone permanent inks.

I have found to my surprise that with some shading inks, regular flex F and M shade very well, better on the paper I was using than wider or more flexible nibs.

'Common sense' and what a nib, paper and ink combo you expect to deliver .... can be shockingly wrong. You have to put the nib and ink to various papers, to find what nib, makes the ink dance on what paper.

Eventually that will turn into fun.

Remember LA was not built in a Day.

Do not get greedy, and buy like a crazy man.

You will be come crazy enough, soon enough and enjoy it more, targeting your buying.

Of Course you need a Snorkel, but which one?

Of Course you need a Pelikan...IMO a 140 is where to start, when you are ready for semi-flex.

Of Course you need XXX. Where can I get it cheaper?

I suggest buying a new ink, for every new pen, and don't forget getting a 'new' paper for each one too.

Should have done that...it would have enriched my scribbling fun.

I did it the 'normal' way....Pen of the Week in the Mail Club. :headsmack:

Wasn't even in the Ink of the Month club. :crybaby:

Finally came Paper's Day....ran around town like a crazy man....and I could have had better paper had I planned ahead.

That is not the best way to do things. :rolleyes:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Nice contemporary lines. I like the look of it. Is this pen a cartridge pen ?

Do you have the disposable pens that you like so much ? They are probably

refillable for longer use. After all, if somebody got ink into them at one point,

somebody can do it again. Inexpensive is not necessarily "cheap".

The 1960's were my "school days". The "dollar" Sheaffer, Scripto, Esterbrook, etc.

pens for young brutes were tough pens of good value. I still have a few of them.

From my readings here, many primary schools in Europe teach penmanship with fountain

pens. I look to those brand names for affordable, durable, reliable school pens.

Good marketing dictates that "beginner" pens be good pens. They would want their

pen, their name, their memory in your pocket when you are older and shopping for

pens of a higher teir, with a few hundred buck in your pocket.

Good hunting.

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Well this isn't exactly information about Fend but there are some available here if interested http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fend+fountain+pen

Here is a very brief history of the Fend Company in Italian found here: http://www.fountainpen.it/Fend My Crhome has an add-on translator so posting the very brief article below.

TRANSLATION

"German company, based in Pforzheim. Founded in 1899 and known for metal working. Also known for the production of pens with coverings in sheet metal gold or silver high quality, which were also used by other manufacturers for their models. It is also believed that producers of most coatings used by Montblanc in the '20s and '30s. The company, however, is much better known for its production of mechanical pencils are able to maintain and use various mines in different colors, marketed under the brand standard , of which there are many publicity, such as those listed below. In 1930 he founded a foreign branch in Milan under the name of Fendograph . Also in the '30s was present with the brand standard in the United States, as Norma Multicolor, Inc., New York, NY , where he remained active until 1967. In the 50s he produced models made ​​entirely of metal. Known models: Fend Norma from the particular conical nib."

:W2FPN: by the way. Great to have you with us.

Edited by myn

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

unfortunately there are many wrong informations in the world wide web.

Fend was found in 1900, not in 1899.

The Gebr.Fend Company was closed in 1971.

I don't think Fend had any relations to the u.s. Norma company.

The shown pen is made by the Karl Fend GmbH in the 1970/1980s and uses Pelikan cartridges.

Regards from Pforzheim

Dirk

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend

Hi

The shown pen is made by the Karl Fend GmbH in the 1970/1980s and uses Pelikan cartridges.

Regards from Pforzheim

Dirk

You are right, Internet is not always correct, and I'm sorry if I put some mistake in that page, but that's all I got about this brand, and I used what I found in books and articles. I'm making corrections using this thread as referecences, but if you can point me towards better sources about Fend (or other German brands) history I will be grateful.

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

Hi

Regards from Pforzheim

Dirk

Not knowing anything about it(and very little about the company),my guess would have

been about the same. The pen has a slim and futuristic look that would scream 1970's

or 80's.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.