• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernst Bitterman

• PenFan95

• Pepin

• inkstainedruth

Oh no... I feel a revival of the "is it stylish to clip a pen in a jacket breast pocket" thread coming on...

Jack.

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR

Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

logo%2520resize.jpg

So *that's* how Snorkels work. Neat. Now I kinda want one -- even if it *is* a "man's" pen.... :rolleyes: (Always kinda wondered why it was designated a PFM model....)

Ironically, there has been a fair amount of discussion over the last couple of days about BIC's new "Pen For Her", and how the advertising for it seems to be a throwback to the days of meeting your husband at the front door with the pipe, slippers, newspaper and a martini.... :glare:

How's about someone tries to design a pen for *people*? One that's NOT gender-specific -- just one catering to us enlightened and discriminating 21st Century FP people? Make the pen in several sizes, but market it based on *hand* size, not what fiddle-y bits you have in certain parts of your anatomy....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: I was having dinner with some people last night and mentioned the brouhaha about the BIC, and my husband said that it was generally more comfortable and caused less hand-cramping to write with a pen having a *bigger* barrel, not a smaller one (which is why those slip-on grips are on the market....)

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

So *that's* how Snorkels work. Neat. Now I kinda want one -- even if it *is* a "man's" pen.... :rolleyes: (Always kinda wondered why it was designated a PFM model....)

Ironically, there has been a fair amount of discussion over the last couple of days about BIC's new "Pen For Her", and how the advertising for it seems to be a throwback to the days of meeting your husband at the front door with the pipe, slippers, newspaper and a martini.... :glare:

How's about someone tries to design a pen for *people*? One that's NOT gender-specific -- just one catering to us enlightened and discriminating 21st Century FP people? Make the pen in several sizes, but market it based on *hand* size, not what fiddle-y bits you have in certain parts of your anatomy....

ETA: I was having dinner with some people last night and mentioned the brouhaha about the BIC, and my husband said that it was generally more comfortable and caused less hand-cramping to write with a pen having a *bigger* barrel, not a smaller one (which is why those slip-on grips are on the market....)

I'm waiting for a Pen for Hermaphrodites.

Robert.

I don't know about this. Sheaffer makes a lot of nice pens for women, taking into account the differences in anatomy and taste. Also, there is no issue for a woman to use a man's pen. I don't think the reverse is true. I wish they make cars for men too. :thumbup:

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

Ruth, that particular advertising sword was swinging both ways (if I may mix a metaphor slightly)-- check this out.

I'm slightly interested from a sociological standpoint that the only ad that seems to run that long on TV now is for an acne cure.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Ah the simpler times... nurse's pens, lady sheaffers, PFM..

Can you believe that they sold for $10 !! Never mind real estate I'm gonna buy me some pens and put them in a safety deposit box. That's almost 2000 percent over 50 years - 40 % per year. Curious, the lady sheaffers sell for a fraction of a PFM. Now where did I put that time machine...

Seriously though, there is nothing as ephemeral as advertising. Here today, forgotten tomorrow. Seldom effective when you don't communicate to whom you are marketing a product to. For example take a magazine at random and look at the ads not the cover. That tells you the target audience really is.

Edited by barleycorn

"It's every inch a man's pen -- Sheaffer's Pen for Men." Oh, come on, like the copywriters didn't know what they were doing there?

Wonderful clips. There is also a great commercial featuring Vivian Vance (I Love Lucy) plugging the Sheaffer Snorkel to Lucy. Can you imagine a pen commercial today - but pens were the iPads of their day I guess.

I'm waiting for a Pen for Hermaphrodites.

:roflmho:

Yeah, but that's probably a real niche marketing, too small for manufactureres.... :rolleyes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, that particular advertising sword was swinging both ways (if I may mix a metaphor slightly)-- check this out.

Interesting, seeing the two ads side by side like that. I actually like the look of the PFM better -- the Lady Schaeffer might have been more appealing to me than what was shown in the ad if the design had really *been* paisley....

Did that Lady Schaeffer have the Snorkel filling system (or was that just *too* subliminal for the 1950s... :rolleyes:)?

Thanks for posting this. How times have changed. Or not.

Interesting, seeing the two ads side by side like that. I actually like the look of the PFM better -- the Lady Schaeffer might have been more appealing to me than what was shown in the ad if the design had really *been* paisley....

Did that Lady Schaeffer have the Snorkel filling system (or was that just *too* subliminal for the 1950s... :rolleyes:)?

Thanks for posting this. How times have changed. Or not.

No, IIRC all the Lady Sheaffer series were C/C.

There's a line in the copy about it "refilling like her lipstick", which I've wondered about; is it MY ignorance of the mechanics of lipstick, or the ad writer's? There is PLENTY of room for Freudian analysis of the gender specificity of the two filler styles, isn't there?

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Maybe the PFM has an anima as well. Jung>Freud.

There's a line in the copy about it "refilling like her lipstick", which I've wondered about; is it MY ignorance of the mechanics of lipstick, or the ad writer's? There is PLENTY of room for Freudian analysis of the gender specificity of the two filler styles, isn't there?

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

• 1 month later...

So...Sheaffer really took this Pen For Men thing seriously, huh...:glare:

Though, in all fairness, there was a Lady Sheaffer, and I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Each to their own gender-specific pen, I guess...except for, as was said above, hermaphrodites :rolleyes:

I'm not your 'friend', bud

Can you believe that they sold for $10 !! Never mind real estate I'm gonna buy me some pens and put them in a safety deposit box. That's almost 2000 percent over 50 years - 40 % per year.

$10 in 1959 is $78 in 2012 money.

And this is how it plays in today's market - at least as Ellen sees it... The times, they are a changin'.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png

And this is how it plays in today's market - at least as Ellen sees it... The times, they are a changin'.

I just saw the video and read some of the comments section...I think I still have that brain fluid leaking out of my ears...

Some people sure can be stupid! Not everything needs to be turned into a men vs women catfight!

I'm not your 'friend', bud

Agreed. A lot of people's comments show them too stupid to use a pen of any kind - for any sex. I just thought the clip was funny, because

1. it's funny
  2. bic owns Sheaffer, so isn't this like deja vu? Either that or I think I've seen it before hmm1.gif
  3. Of course things that were said and marketed in the 1950's just don't work today (imho)
  4. They make pens for hermaphrodites? puddle.gif Do they come in OB?

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png