Serwex 101 & Guider Marala India Fountain Pens

coffeetoofull

SERWEX 101 SUPERIOR: clear plastic body, plastic gray cap with silver metal clip, eyedropper, fine nib, screw on cap; inexpensive, and refreshingly, performs like some fountain pens which cost ten times as much from western manufacturers.

fpn_1346006255__2_lrg_cap_india_pens.jpg

I received the Serwex 101 Superior with gray cap and clear body as an extra bonus or free pen from FPN. It's a wonderful writer, which I filled with Private Reserve Washington DC Blue ink. The Private Reserve inks are generally classified as a wet ink. Using the Private Reserve ink does not necessitate waxing the breathing hole on the cap. I've been writing for two weeks without any difficulties. I, also, believe that a heavier wet ink will prevent leakage.

The Fine nib, which writes with a medium western line, is the older flat style, "gold plated", and "iridium tip". I'm not sure that this is really gold plated, or a steel nib plated to look like gold. Also, with the cost of iridium, I doubt this is a real iridium tip. However, after reading one of the posts below from 'raging.dragon', I'm convinced that it is indeed a gold plated nib with an iridium tip.

" Most likely the nib is made from steel and plated with gold. Plating is only a few microns thick, so it doesn't use much gold and thus is fairly inexpensive.

Iridium is commonly used as a generic term the the small ball of hard metal welded onto the tip of the nib. Before WWII grains of natural Irdium-Osmium alloy were the most commonly used material for this. Since WWII industrially manufactured Platinium-Ruthenium alloys have been the most common tipping material. This is partly because industrially manufactured alloys are more consistent and thus easier to work with, and also because Osmium is extremely difficult to separate from Iridium and endangers the workers grinding nib tips (Osmium Oxide is very toxic so regularly inhaling even miniscule amounts of Iridium-Osmium dust is a serious occupational health and safety concern)."

Its overall a very smooth nib with a slight hint of scratch. It has some slight easing to the nib, but it's not a flex nib. This slight scratchy (light tooth) movement over paper allows me a bit of control and cadence/rhythm to my writing. It reminds me of that pleasant quality which can only b found in a fountain pen - over other types of writing instruments. I've tested this pen on Rhodia and Moleskine paper and found it to be a smooth and reliable writer. The Private Reserve ink in humid conditions appears on the verso of the Moleskine paper.

Although the black jewel on top of the cap is not positioned exactly, it does not lose anything in its professional appearance. It is not as finally finished as the machine tooled pens of the west, but that's what makes it a day choice and favourite. I use it daily and don't worry about a slight scratch, which would not easily appear. The diameter of the barrel is a size smaller (approximately .36mm) when compared to many medium bodied pens up to .51mm. It has a large ink capacity.

It's light weight plastic, and does not require a great deal of pressure for consistent smooth performance. I am a man with a medium hand size, who finds it comfortable for long writing sessions. It's a perfectly balanced pen when posted. I have found the Serwex 101 to write, as well as, the Guider Marala, and sometimes, performing more consistently, and as smoothly.

Length of barrel and nib assembly approximately 5".

Cap posted on barrel approximately 6".

Pen and cap screwed to close on barrel 5.5". Fits comfortably in shirt pocket.

Serwex, a national pen company of India, has been manufacturing in Gurgaon (the old part of Delhi), Haryana, since 2000.

fpn_1346008940__4_lrg_uncap_india_pens.jpg

GUIDER MARALA: an eyedropper, gold plated fine nib, ebonite body and cap, in black colour with gold clip and bands to cap.

Length capped: 14cm (5.5")

Length posted: 16.8cm (6.6")

Width at section: 1cm (0.4")

Ink capacity: 2.5ml

The Guider Pen Company, Rajahmundry, India, has been making hand made pens since 1946.

I'll be writing a more detailed full review on the Serwex 101 and Guider Marala pens, asap.

Best Writings To You, coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coffeetoofull

• raging.dragon

• tomgartin

• goldiesdad

Nice review. I like these type of pens, as there is something about a ( I will dub them ) Working pen. Not real pretty, not real regal but made to work. I look forward to your other review.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

Serwex, a national pen company, are manufactured in Gurgaon (the old part of Delhi).

Gurgaon, the place where the pen is manufactured is 30kms outside the National Capital New Delhi and is in fact, in another state, called Haryana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurgaon

http://www.gurgaononcall.com/showDetails.aspx?ID=57963&name=Serwex%20Pen%20Company

That said, the company has its office located at Nai Sarak (Which means "New Street"), this is in the centre of the Old Delhi area.

http://www.indiamart.com/company/4213383/

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank You for the very kind reply and comment. I'll make the changes in the review.

Best Writings To You,

coffeetoofull

Another excellent review! Coffeetoofull, do you think the Serwex is a good size for a woman's hand? I have a small hand and don't like large barrels.

The nib, which writes with a medium western line, is the older flat style, "gold plated", and "iridium nib". I'm not sure that this is really gold plated, or a steel nib plated to look like gold. Also, with the cost of iridium, I doubt this is a real iridium nib.

Most likely the nib is made from steel and plated with gold. Plating is only a few microns thick, so it doesn't use much gold and thus is fairly inexpensive.

Iridium is commonly used as a generic term the the small ball of hard metal welded onto the tip of the nib. Before WWII grains of natural Irdium-Osmium alloy were the most commonly used material for this. Since WWII industrially manufactured Platinium-Ruthenium alloys have been the most common tipping material. This is partly because industrially manufactured alloys are more consistent and thus easier to work with, and also because Osmium is extremely difficult to separate from Iridium and endangers the workers grinding nib tips (Osmium Oxide is very toxic so regularly inhaling even miniscule amounts of Iridium-Osmium dust is a serious occupational health and safety concern).

Edited by raging.dragon

Another excellent review! Coffeetoofull, do you think the Serwex is a good size for a woman's hand? I have a small hand and don't like large barrels.

It's a nice choice, and would fit well in your purse or journal. I place it in my journal pen loop and pen wrap, which is shown in the pictures on this post.

You might try shopping for the Serwex 101 Superior fountain pen at the Fountain Pen Revolution in India. The shipping rate is inexpensive, although it takes a few days to receive your order.

For your small hand and light weight requirements I'd, also, recommend the Airmail 67T & Guider Celluloid fountain pens.

Edited by coffeetoofull

The nib, which writes with a medium western line, is the older flat style, "gold plated", and "iridium nib". I'm not sure that this is really gold plated, or a steel nib plated to look like gold. Also, with the cost of iridium, I doubt this is a real iridium nib.

Most likely the nib is made from steel and plated with gold. Plating is only a few microns thick, so it doesn't use much gold and thus is fairly inexpensive.

Iridium is commonly used as a generic term the the small ball of hard metal welded onto the tip of the nib. Before WWII grains of natural Irdium-Osmium alloy were the most commonly used material for this. Since WWII industrially manufactured Platinium-Ruthenium alloys have been the most common tipping material. This is partly because industrially manufactured alloys are more consistent and thus easier to work with, and also because Osmium is extremely difficult to separate from Iridium and endangers the workers grinding nib tips (Osmium Oxide is very toxic so regularly inhaling even miniscule amounts of Iridium-Osmium dust is a serious occupational health and safety concern).

Thank you for writing these comments. That clarifies some of the issues in properly describing the Serwex fountain pen and those of other India manufacturers. The wonderful thing about this forum is all that can be learned from our FPN members. Your information was most insightful and helpful. Thank You.

Best Writings To You,

coffeetoofull

Edited by coffeetoofull

Thank you for writing these comments. That clarifies some of the issues in properly describing the Serwex fountain pen and those of other India manufacturers. The wonderful thing about this forum is all that can be learned from our FPN members. Your information was most insightful and helpful. Thank You.

Best Writings To You,

coffeetoofull

You're welcome!

I was too late to edit the post and include the weights of the Guider Marala and Serwex 101 Superior fountain pens.

These are the weights of both pens. I'll include these weights, again, in the Guider Marala post.

Guider Marala black ebonite fountain pen

capped 8 ounces

uncapped 5 ounces

Serwex 101 Superior gray plastic fountain pen

capped 4 ounces

uncapped 3 ounces

Edited by coffeetoofull

Serwex, a national pen company, are manufactured in Gurgaon (the old part of Delhi).

Gurgaon, the place where the pen is manufactured is 30kms outside the National Capital New Delhi and is in fact, in another state, called Haryana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurgaon

http://www.gurgaonon...20Pen%20Company

That said, the company has its office located at Nai Sarak (Which means "New Street"), this is in the centre of the Old Delhi area.

http://www.indiamart...ompany/4213383/

coffeetoofull - the following comment was made by 'kethiemann' a FPN member on another post about Serwex fountain pens.

The Serwex company was founded by R.K. Mehra back in the 60's. R.K. still greets me at the shop when I visit but the main wheeling and dealing is now done by his two sons Vipin and Girish. Unfortunately, the grandkids have other aspirations so R.K., Vipin, and Girish are currently unsure what will become of the company once they retire. I really like these guys. If you ever make it to Delhi and care to brave Old Delhi it is worth a trip to Nai Sarak road to visit the home base of the Serwex Pen Company.

Now that I typed this up it makes me think it might be fun to do a full write up on the Serwex Company, their proprietors, and their products sometime!

Edited by coffeetoofull

I like the design of the Marala, how it seems to have a hat brim on top of the cap. On the other hand, I've got concerns about the hole they've drilled in the cap--does this cause any problems for you?

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

I too just got a Serwex 101 as a bonus from fountainpenrevolution.com (No Affliation) and ink her with Noodler's Nakita and it has perform flawlessly. Just make sure she is full of ink or you may experience some "burping" ...

Really a smooth writer ...

I like the design of the Marala, how it seems to have a hat brim on top of the cap. On the other hand, I've got concerns about the hole they've drilled in the cap--does this cause any problems for you?

I'm completing a new post on the Marala fountain pen with pics. The hurricane (Issac) in Louisiana unexpectedly wiped out the internet in my area for the past few hours. Since we share power with Louisiana, I might not be able to post it until sometime tomorrow - with luck.

The cap hole, found a 1/4" beneath the clip ring, does not require filling with wax in most areas which are not in a high dry altitude. I, also, filled the pen with Private Reserve Midnight Blues ink, which is considered a ‘wet’ heavy ink. I feel that the India nib reacts best to this type of ink, as well as, providing an ink, which might not be as conducive as others to leaking. I’ve had the Marala pen inked and in use for three weeks, with only an occasional wipe on a partially wet Viva paper towel to encourage ink flow and keep the nib clean.

I too just got a Serwex 101 as a bonus from fountainpenrevolution.com (No Affliation) and ink her with Noodler's Nakita and it has perform flawlessly. Just make sure she is full of ink or you may experience some "burping" ...

Really a smooth writer ...

Thank you for the very kind reply. I look forward to posting the new Marala review this week. I purchased a bottle of Noodler's Midnight Blue and look forward to trying it asap. I'll try to remember to send my results to you.

• 2 weeks later...

New posting for Guider Marala ebonite fountain pen and the fountain pen industry of India. Also, a link to the India Fountain Pen Club on FPN, but I'm not too sure that its active.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/229333-guider-marala-ebonite-india-fountain-pen/page__p__2454792__fromsearch__1#entry2454792