Is Sheaffer Imperial 440 Fine Nib Good?

Aman Syed

Hey there! In my previous post I said that I'm going to get a Prelude.. But, I got Sheaffer Imperial 440 Fine Nib... So is it a good pen? Is it one of the best Sheaffer Pens? How is the nib? And how much

would you rate out of 5? Thank you

"You can do anything, but not everything" — David Allen

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Aman Syed

• Tberry010

• Trebster

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

The 440 + F nib is not a "good pen" - it is excellent. (I have two.)

Be forewarned: I consider the 330/440/444 pens to be 'gateway' pens to Sheaffer's other pens with inlaid nibs, and eventually the conical Triumph nibs. Things may escalate faster than anticipated; your dreams may become populated with visions of a PFM.

I find the inlaid nibs suit my light brisk hand - I let the nib float upon the page, and it runs so smoothly.

Enjoy!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I have a couple and they are workhorses in my rotation. Am eyeing another now. As for rating, hard to compare to other pens but I agree with Sandy1.

Enjoy!

Hi,

The 440 + F nib is not a "good pen" - it is excellent. (I have two.)

Be forewarned: I consider the 330/440/444 pens to be 'gateway' pens to Sheaffer's other pens with inlaid nibs, and eventually the conical Triumph nibs. Things may escalate faster than anticipated; your dreams may become populated with visions of a PFM.

I find the inlaid nibs suit my light brisk hand - I let the nib float upon the page, and it runs so smoothly.

Enjoy!

Bye,

S1

+1 with enthusiasm!

Nine out of ten of them are superb. The rest have probably been bent of badly clogged. Unfortunately these nib units are very difficult to service (not that I've tried, aside from trying to straighten a bent tip.) I feel like Sheaffer (not only inlaid nibs) and Pelikan pens can give trouble-free daily service for life; they are the cornerstones of my faith in fountain pens!

I have a 444, which should be the same nib. I enjoy it, but I find the fine is closer to an extra fine (it's my finest nib and I use it for my red pen). I'm quite pleased with it, and I think you'll like the 440. Sandi makes a good point above...after receiving my 444 I bought a Targa and I'm looking at the Legacy and Valor...

I have a 444, which should be the same nib. I enjoy it, but I find the fine is closer to an extra fine (it's my finest nib and I use it for my red pen).

Interesting. I have a 444 also that is supposed to be a Medium that I would swear is a Fine. It was ground to a CI by Pendemonium and touched up by Mike Masuyama and it's the only nib done thusly I've never been ecstatic over.

More interesting is that replying to this has me thinking of inking it again as I've been slowly edging towards Medium minus CIs.

Of course, THAT'S not terribly helpful as my general trend has been to clean pens out from being inked, not to ink More. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Love my Sheaffer 440. Use it everyday. It's a lovely smooth writer.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

It's not a fancy pen. It's small and sort of plain, and I don't care much for the metal cap which I find heavy and roughly finished.

But the nib? Oh yeah. Mine has an excellent, smooth nib. It's a good writer.

My impression is that the Imperial inlay nibs are noticeably wetter than the Triumph. I agree with Sandi1 that they are great for fast writers...I tend to ponder and pause, so the Triumphs are my favorite as they are much better suited to my style. I like to say the Triumphs are best for us modern writers with heavier hand brought about by ballpoint use...and for me many years of drafting with pencils. These writing implements have far more friction and pressure than are used when writing with a more flexible nib fountain pen.

I was under the impression that Triumph nibs were Imperial 1 and 2. Also that they precede the Imperial 330-440, having been standard on the Snorkels of the 1950's. So I do not see them as gateways to Triumph unless the meaning is on the regular progression of the FP addicted buying sequence??? Am I confused? Please have patience and explain...I am a 100% Sheaffer fan who can't afford a Pelikan!

I started out with a 444 fine. Then I got 444XG medium and a 330 fine. Next, somehow I got 834 fine and another 330 fine. Now recently, I got a 777 fine (the locking ring moved around on this one so I had shim it with a shaved down toothpick. I am much happier now). I have no complaints with the nibs. They have all been great writers.

Been eyeing the conical triumph for a while. Please somebody stop me before it is toooo late.

Edited by Bluefinntuna

Hi,

I'm not sure about the line-width relationship to nib Grade (F, M, etc.) as I can see no marking on the nib or section of that designation. So it seems that unless the pen is NOS and has some label or tag or mark, one needs to accept the claim of the vendor.

Also, I think the XF nibs tend to run very narrow, more like an XXF, and rather dry. Consequently those nibs may have been 'adjusted' by spreading the tines ever so slightly - creating a non-stock width.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Gentlemen, should I fill my Sheaffer with Bril Royal Blue Ink, Camlin royal blue Ink, Parker Quink royal blue, Pelikan Konigsblau Royal Blue or Bril Blue-Black? Which ink will suit the Sheaffer mostly from the following?

Thanks

"You can do anything, but not everything" — David Allen

Gentlemen, should I fill my Sheaffer with Bril Royal Blue Ink, Camlin royal blue Ink, Parker Quink royal blue, Pelikan Konigsblau Royal Blue or Bril Blue-Black? Which ink will suit the Sheaffer mostly from the following?

Thanks

Hi,

If you have the Pelikan ink, I think that would be great for trials. it is a bit dry and not too saturated, so the flow + nib characteristics should be apparent after a few days of use. Also, that ink can be flushed with ease.

Oh, a gentle reminder to cleanse the pen upon arrival. (I am always in a hurry to try my new arrivals, so do not always follow sound practices.)

Bye,

S1