Lamy Blue-Black

Mafia Geek

Hi FPN!

So this is my first ink review, I'm hoping to do quite a few as I have more than a full storage rack of ink samples from Goulet and quite a few full bottles of ink.

I think the included image speaks for itself, this is a newer bottle of Lamy Blue-Black (my daily use ink) in a Pilot Prera M nib on Blueline MiracleBind paper (the highlighter around the drying time test is from the back of the sheet).

I quite like the ink as it has good flow properties, is waterproof, and you can highlight text without smearing the ink too much (something that not a lot of inks can claim). It also comes in a good ink bottle (no chance of tipping it over and has blotting paper included), and is easy to find. It's also quite easy to clean from the pen.

There are two images, one of the review and one of the results of the water test. Two things were done to the paper for the water test, first it was put under running water for a while then soaked in soapy water (same paper that was run under water) for several minutes.

Happy to receive comments on format for possible changes to future reviews.

post-75257-0-18821500-1345234160.jpg

post-75257-0-79904800-1345234165.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• Mafia Geek

• bwnewton

• Ad_Astra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the review.

I very much like Lamy Blue-Black as well, but in the former bottled iron-gall forumula. I use it pretty much daily.

Are you sure the BB you are using isn't the "old" iron-gall version that was discontinued within the last year? The reason I ask is because the Lamy BB that comes in cartridges has always been non-iron gall and I do not recall it being as water resistant as the former bottled iron-gall formula. However, my memory may be faulty on this one.

Nevertheless, you have a nicely done review and I very much appreciate it.

Edited by bwnewton

Yes, nice review, but I too think that this in fact may be the old IG version. Lemmee see yer barcode.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Yeah, I agree with the two previous posters. I did a review of a bottle of Lamy BB a month or two ago and quickly realized the same thing from the feedback: I had lucked into a bottle of the older IG mix!

How fortunate for both of us. :D

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

I suppose you could be right about the ink, I got it about a month ago so just assumed it was the new stuff, but it might not be. I don't have the box anymore, so no barcode. Is there any other way to tell if it is IG or not?

I suppose you could be right about the ink, I got it about a month ago so just assumed it was the new stuff, but it might not be. I don't have the box anymore, so no barcode. Is there any other way to tell if it is IG or not?

Sure is. Buy a new bottle and keep the box. Or note the barcode of a new, un-bought ink. Then try this on fer size. Or paste a paper chromatography and I'll try and compare it with my Lamy IG Blue-Black.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)