Platinum Preppy Fountain Pen

Tumbleweedtoo

After reviewing the Platinum Plaisir Fountain Pen with a Medium 05 Nib and Black Body on FPN on June 28, CatBookMom recommended in a Reply to my Review that I could buy the Platinum Preppy for about $3.00 or $4.00 from Jetpens and have two interchangeable nibs (a F nib and an M nib) for my Platinum Plaisir (I do not know how either of these Platinum pens of such a high quality can be sold at such low prices). Thus, for a little more than $25.00 (with free shipping) we can have two pens with interchangeable nibs.

After following CatBookMom’s advice, I have been using the Platinum Preppy every day for more than a month and it has become my go-to pen that I carry everywhere. The Preppy is extremely lightweight to carry, and at a little more than $3.00, it is a real bargain. I use my Platinum Plaisir at home and when I want to carry a more upscale looking pen from time to time. I carry the Platinum Preppy almost everywhere because it will fit in any shirt or pant’s pocket without worry. Since both pens use interchangeable nibs, they are really convenient. The Preppy is so well made, that I cannot imagine that it would ever break or crack, but if it ever does (in a pant’s pocket, for example) I still have a very good nib that I can use in what seems to be my indestructible Platinum Plaisir pen.

Both pens write the same, and one of the things I like about both pens is that it really does not matter how I hold the pen. I just pick it up and write without even looking to see if the nib is upside down or right side up. I can write nicely upside down or right side up, and writing sideways gives me a little finer line. Both the F and M nibs write with a nice wet line every time and never skip. The Fine nib does seem wider than most Fine nib pens that I have used.

The label on the Platinum Preppy says “Imported by Platinum,” and I do not know if that means the pen was made in Japan or if the pen was made outside Japan and imported into Japan by Platinum (and then exported to the USA and other countries). Wherever the pen was made, the high quality of the pen (based on my everyday use for more than a month) makes the pen a real bargain by any standards. Based on my experience with several of their pens, Platinum quality control remains exceptional on any price pen. The Platinum Preppy writes as well as many of my pens costing 10 or more times what this pen cost.

The pictures below show the Platinum Preppy with the Platinum Fountain Pen Ink Cartridge and the converter. The pen comes with 1 cartridge, and you can see from the pictures that the cartridge will hold more ink than the converter. I also bought the Platinum Fountain Pen Converter from Jetpens, but usually just refill my cartridges with a syringe. I do have a couple of boxes of Platinum cartridges, so I can carry a new cartridge or two as backups in a backpack or pocket. Otherwise, I use a bottle of Platinum Fountain Pen Ink to refill a cartridge. The cartridges do hold a lot of ink!

The Platinum Plaisir and Platinum Preppy are the same length, but the Plaisir looks more upscale. See my Review of the Platinum Plaisir for better pictures of the Plaisir.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8421/7802289024_0b1798c191.jpg

PlatinumPlaisirandPreppy1- by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

Platinum Preppy upcapped.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8439/7802289098_a619811f13.jpg

PreppyPenUncapped by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

Platinum Preppy with Converter and Box.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7802288946_50f0d8b8b2.jpg

PreppyPenConverterwithBox by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

Platinum Preppy with Converter and Cartridge.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/7802289204_eaf5a325c4.jpg

PreppyPenConverterwithCartridge by OUSoonertoo, on Flickr

As you can tell, I really like this pen!

All the Best,

T

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tumbleweedtoo

• bbwriter

• Cyclopentadiene

• TheAkwardNinja

I have the Platinum Preppy in the Eye Dropper configuration from Goulet Pens (no affiliation). The Preppy is a delight, and first choice for writing while sitting at the computer.

(I do not know how either of these Platinum pens of such a high quality can be sold at such low prices).

That's the power of high precision fully automated manufacturing. Making pens is a trade off between expensive and error prone human artistry versus cheap mechanical perfection repeatability.

Edited by raging.dragon

These are great pens, I just wish the plastic material was a little more rugged so that I didn't have to fear cracking/breaking. For such a great pen, I'm sure most would pay another dollar or two if Platinum strengthened the plastic.

I give these to people to get them hooked on FPs. The fine point with stock black cartridge is so radically different from the ballpoint pen experience that they're hooked on the spot. Too bad I haven't been able to find a deal on a box of them to hand out like candy.

Good review! :thumbup:

Glad you're so pleased with the Preppy. It is amazing that such a cheap bit of plastic and very little metal can perform so well.

Edited by CatBookMom

I have a couple of Preppys that were freebies with bottles of Noodler's Kung Te Cheng. They are set up as eyedroppers, and I have been using them as rollerball pens for some ink sampling for a project. Have you used the rollerball heads at all? And, if so, how do they compare with the nibs?

I'm also curious as to whether I can swap the heads for the nibs without making a total mess or flushing the pens first.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I give these to people to get them hooked on FPs. The fine point with stock black cartridge is so radically different from the ballpoint pen experience that they're hooked on the spot. Too bad I haven't been able to find a deal on a box of them to hand out like candy.

Pokydady has a good reputation from posters on FPN and sells them in lots of 10.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone experienced leaking with an eyedropper-converted Preppy? I have tried Noodler's Black in two different Preppies. After a bit of writing there is a lot of ink in the feed and if I don't watch it, drops of ink would get on the paper. I have another Preppy converted and filled with Waterman Audaciuos Red and I've never had an issue with that one (granted I don't write as much with red ink).

I find converted Preppies super useful, but am afraid of taking them anywhere having experienced this sort of leaking. Just wondering if it's the ink or the pen?

Great review!

I have a bunch of these, and I honestly can't imagine how one would make it through a semester of school without shattering. All of mine are desk pens, never to see the fresh air and sun, and they still find ways of cracking their barrels and caps. :glare: Darn smooth for the money, though.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Yeah, I have had a few Preppys, but I don't plan to get any more. For a cheap eyedropper, I think the Pilot Petit1s are a better value. They're about the same price, but their plastic is much better quality. I can't imagine them cracking from normal use and posting.

Use silicon grease to keep them from leaking when you convert them to an eyedropper. Brian Goulet also recomends o rings, and in fact, sells a cool Preppy conversion kit that comes with everything you need to do eyedropper conversions.

keep a box of these handy for converting people to the dark side... no doubt for cheapy pens they are quite smooth, also! I love experimenting on these, made myself a massive stub on one of them, i didnt measure it but its got to be over 2mm.

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

I got one of these eyedropper versions with Noodlers Heart of Darkness. It warns to refill the pen when 2/3 empty. Apparently hand temperature will affect the inside air pressure to force out more in than desired when it becomes emptier of ink vs. air.

I do see some ink dribble past the spare rollerball tip included with the pen. Perhaps i should simply remove it? Any thoughts?

Hi,

I bought a couple Platinum Preppy pens while I am traveling in Taiwan. One is 0.3mm and the other is 0.5mm. I find that they write pretty well, and there are a lot of ink colors to choose from.

I read that the pens have interchangable nibs. How can I take the nib out?

Also, the pen nibs are ball point nibs, which are stiff and do not widen with pressure so always give the same line width regardless of angle or pressure like my Manuscript or Shaffer or Pilot Plumix fountain pens. I find that my roller pen writes similar to the Preppy.

Can some one explain to me the benefit of using the Preppy?

Thanks,

James

• 9 months later...

Too bad I haven't been able to find a deal on a box of them to hand out like candy.

Interesting point. I'd love to get my hands on a pack or box of these things! Take that unecessary ballpoint! Mwahahaha :D

This is going to be my next pen to buy!

-Ave María, grátia pléna, Dóminus técum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus. Sáncta María, Máter Déi, óra pro nóbis peccatóribus, nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae. Amen.-