San Francisco Pen Show

ethernautrix

Alas, we have guests for dinner at home on Saturday -- it is all I can do to break away in the early afternoon for a couple of hours to visit the Pen Show! So no Posse dinner/lunch/whatever during the show for me. Still, I should be able to spend a decent amount of time on Sunday at the show.

Ok, ok, ok, saw the sunset over water tonight. That must mean I am somewhere on the West Coast? ( You Fog Pen People help me out here).

Big trees, think I am somewhere North. Will wait a day or two, wait for sunup and keep it on my left shoulder.

Posse party during show????

We've been hashing things out on FB.

It looks like dinner on Friday. We are looking for a venue at this moment.

We will also likely do lunch on Saturday. Possibly dim sum.

We will probably do dinner on Saturday too. Ah....the whole show is a party.

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AltecGreen

• ethernautrix

• tenney

• kernando

I look forward to a writing sample!

Nipped over to the show from workplace today (1 mile away). My first pen show, much fun! And what a surprise: I bought a pen despite my best intentions--Smokey gray TWSBI with terrific flexi/stubby nib by Pendleton Brown!

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

Nipped over to the show from workplace today (1 mile away). My first pen show, much fun! And what a surprise: I bought a pen despite my best intentions--Smokey gray TWSBI with terrific flexi/stubby nib by Pendleton Brown!

Sounds great.....

I saw PB early this morning and gave him a few pens to grind....then headed to work.....only about 10 minutes south of show.....

Hope to get back over there later this afternoon to check out show and then at 6, need to be at another event for the evening that is at same hotel for work-related purposes...talk about weird coincidences...

Maybe I'll bump into to a few FPNrs and say hello while I'm there....would be fun....

:)

Managed to get over to show at 5, so, only one hour to look around, soak up all the pen goodness, check in with Pendleton on my 3 pens, and dash over to the other event there....not enough time.....but still fun....

Lots of pens to peruse of course....almost becomes a blur, when reviewing in such a short time....PB did a great job of course on my pens, they write great now with their crispy italic nibs....and chatted a little with some of the other pen dealers and a bit with the Bay Area's own Wahlnut!....

All in all, a great time....just too quick....

:thumbup:

Edited by ArchiMark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

I'm just back from the SF Pen Show. It was my first but - I hope - not my last. The vendors' displays were pretty overwhelming, and I know this was a "small" show, relative to DC, LA, etc.

I got to see a few pens which I had never seen but wanted to see, especially an original (1930's) Onoto Magna. It is a bit smaller than my modern reincarnation which I had with me for comparison.

My first priority was to have Michael Masuyama tweak some nibs. The experience of working face to face with him was much superior to that of trying to explain in writing or on the phone just what I want. I like italic nibs that are in between "cursive" and "formal" italic in crispness. I have had maybe 10 nibs ground for me by Masuyama, Binder and Mottishaw. Only one came back really precisely as I wanted. Working with Michael in person, I was able to get 4 nibs ground just perfectly, including one I had had small hope for (a very fine Swan Calligraphic that was stub-like). Meeting Michael and his charming wife was a great pleasure.

I was also able to leave a pen with John Mottishaw for a custom nib grind. I had a Pelikan M605 with a Medium nib that I wanted ground to a 0.7 mm cursive italic. I was pretty sure it couldn't be done, and I was right. But, since the nib was new, John offered to swap it for a BB that he could grind as I desired. Good deal! I also planned on fondling a few Nakayas, looking for a possible next purchase sometime in the future. However, being confronted by all the gorgeous Nakayas John brought and by Lisa (ethernautrix) who - every time I had a question - whipped out a Nakaya or two from her own collection to answer it, my Nakaya Shield simply turned to dust and blew away.

My Naka-ai in Aka-tamenuri (with a Mottishaw-customized CI nib) should be in their next shipment (4-5 months). I trust my Shield will hold that long.

It was also great fun meeting a few of the other vendors I have dealt with and some I know only by reputation. I wasn't able to connect this time with any of the FPN gang other than Lisa, at least in a way that I recognized them. Name tags for attendees would have been nice.

Anyway, it was great fun.

David

Edited by dms525

Fun here too, as well. Pics posted on Flickr here.

Glad to see folks again. Great to meet Frank & Sam from Pendemoniun, and Susan Wirth, and of course Pendleton again. His way with nibs and my hand just seem to go together. Also got to talk with Wahlnut Syd Saperstein who is going to help me get a humidor for my 3-band desk pen. Met Roger Cromwell and attended one of his seminars.

Many thanks to all who helped put this show together.

Over budget, but great deals and I am one happy, if tired, camper.

Ken

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png

A great show. I got three nibs fixed (thank you John), got a Pendleton nib/pen combo smoothed out very nice (thank you Pendleton), and three CI/stub grinds by Mike Masuyama (thank you Mike and Mrs. Masuyama), including Mike letting me know that for using a CI I really need to learn to lighten my touch... too heavy a hand. Found a few nice things. Saw way too many very nice things. Met lots of old friends and made a few new friends. All in all, a great couple of days. Very tiring, though.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

My first pen show.

Just...

So. Many. Pens. :yikes:

Edited by Andrew H

"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

I am SO TIRED! And happy. What a great weekend!

I've barely had time to review the photos and footage I've taken, and I'm wondering if I'll have the energy to do that tonight. But -- what fun! It felt like a huge Pen Posse bash! Or Pen Posse/FPN bash. It was great to meet FPN members -- thanks for stopping by. OH! I met plistumi! She showed me her Devil's Dictionary notebooks! *Keels over.* Seriously, what a highlight of the show!

I suppose it turned out to be a ridiculous weekend to have a pen show in (very near) San Francisco, what with every possible event, from the Blue Angels and Fleet Week to America's Cup to the Strictly Bluegrass Festival and the Castro Street Festival to the Giants and the 49ers games to a friend's birthday party over in the East Bay... but what a fun show. It was very busy Friday and Saturday, kindv quiet Sunday, but lovely weather throughout and really great to chat with pen pals and new pen pals, like Dix (here on FPN) with her fabulous leather pen sheafs. I talked SO MUCH (maybe that isn't surprising, but, seriously, if talking were America's debt, I saddled my theoretical grand-children with the word count I ran up). Oi, I'm tired.

Good tired.

Will try to get photos and footage up sooner than later, have committed to fpgeeks.com to get a report to them by tomorrow afternoon. Must rest now. :-)

P.S. In addition to being a very busy nibmeister, Pendleton Brown gives the BEST HUGS!

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Ricky, more fun photos. And thanks for the intervention to save my marriage! (So far, so good.)

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

Great report, Ricky! Thank you. (Seriously, I'm giving fpgeeks.com your report. I won't put my name on it, either.)

No, I still haven't finished transferring my photos and clips to my computer. Probably won't give them a proper look 'til the morning. (Or after I wake up, whenever that is.) :-)

etherX in To Miasto

P.S. In addition to being a very busy nibmeister, Pendleton Brown gives the BEST HUGS!

I saw that. I'm not clear who enjoyed it more. You two or those of us watching!

For the record, Pendleton is a great guy and Lisa is a great gal. You should skip the pens and just go to the show to meet/hang out with them. Unfortunately for me I was to busy to hang out with them much and Pendleton was grinding into the wee hours and you don't chat when someone is taking tools to the nib.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Great pictures and report from Ricky. Much appreciated.

Took my life partner, Mary, to the show on Saturday so she could see what it's all about. She decided to take the calligraphy class and enjoyed it. She'll be practicing some when she's not busy selling real estate, chairing the Burlingame Beautification Commission, etc.

But for her the highlight of the show was visiting with Fred Kripke of The Fountain Pen Shop, formerly in downtown LA and now in Monrovia. Turns out that circa 1950 Mary worked part-time for 3-4 years in another downtown LA pen shop, the Kingsley Pen and Card Shop, where she was taught by Mr. Kingsley how to sell Parker and Sheaffer fountain pens. Fred knew Joe Kingsley fairly well so he and Mary had a great time comparing notes about the good old days. Mary's brother lives one town over from Monrovia so on our next visit to LA we plan to stop in on Fred at his shop in Monrovia. A delightful man.

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." -Mark Twain, Following The Equator

I saw that. I'm not clear who enjoyed it more. You two or those of us watching!

Hey! I think I saw Pendleton hug you, too, Todd -- or maybe that was... everyone else. If you haven't hugged Pendleton Brown, I recommend it. It's just nice, that's all.

Why don't we Pen Posse at Rainbow Pizza again? I want to try the Hero Salad. :-)

etherX in To Miasto

Why don't we Pen Posse at Rainbow Pizza again? I want to try the Hero Salad. :-)

Do we want to change the venue for the post show Pen Posse to Rainbow Pizza?

Edited by AltecGreen

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065