Kaweco Classic Sport Nib Problems

Ruinz

I bought a Kaweco Classic sport not long ago. It writes very smooth, but has some issues laying down ink. When I start writing it won't start right away. It will start half way through a character. It will happen again when I lift off the page to move to the next wold. The other problem I have with it is when i pull the pen away from the page it has a clicking like sound.

Edited by Ruinz

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chi Town

• Ruinz

• tisquinn

• Christopher Godfrey

It will happen again when i lift off the page to move to the next world.

Moving between worlds is often a difficult and challenging experiences; in some worlds, fountain pens don't even work!

But seriously, has this happened since you've first had the pen? If so, there may be a problem with the nib or feed. However, it could just be that you have some ink dried up or that your using an ink that's too "dry" for the pen. Try flushing the pen out. I highly recommend going to the drug store and getting an "ear bulb syringe" and blast water through the feed. It is really good to do this every few months, especially with a cartridge only pen.

Here is a video:

Good luck!

We need some back ground to help you out; ie Did this problem happen when you purchased this pen from the get go? If not, how long into your use did it start acting up?

Have you always used the same colored ink, or do you routinely change colors?

When you add ink, if you don't change colors, do you clean your pen out? Like in he video?

Have you ever had the nib or feed out to clean them?

I know, lots a questions, but we are just trying to help you........

Please post your results from the video and then if you can answer some of these questions.......

It has been this way since I first got it. I got it about a week ago. I am using the cartridge it came with, which is Kaweco blue-black. I didn't clean it out when I first got it, I really didn't feel like it at the time.

*I also changed my typo.

It has been this way since I first got it. I got it about a week ago. I am using the cartridge it came with, which is Kaweco blue-black. I didn't clean it out when I first got it, I really didn't feel like it at the time.

*I also changed my typo.

I would strongly recommend flushing it with water and a drop of soap. A number of pens often have some residual oil in them (from the manufacturing process), which can affect ink flow. It is always a good place to start.

*I also changed my typo.

I would strongly recommend flushing it with water and a drop of soap. A number of pens often have some residual oil in them (from the manufacturing process), which can affect ink flow. It is always a good place to start.

+1

Schwoops.......Forgot to say......I would put the seller on notice that I am having problems from day ONE! and see what they have to say....

I am still having some issues after flushing it out. It has issues starting. It is slightly better than before. I also fixed the clicking noise my flexing the nib a bit.

I did notice that there is almost no space between the tines toward the end.

• 2 months later...

Hey i purchased my Kaweco sport last spring and ever since i got it in the mail the nib has been a little hit or miss with the amount of ink it lays down.

Every so often (about 3x a day when writing normally for class) it will leave a large drop (about the size of a tear from your eye) of ink on the page...thus resulting in an unattractive and novice-looking paper. It has been happening since i got it, I cleaned it, soaked the nib in cool water, new cartridge, nearly everything, but it still happens. I love the way the pen feels in my hand and miss it dearly. But i want it to work...

Ruinz:If you check around you will find several threads suggesting ways to 'floss' the nib which may increase ink flow. If you have not removed the nib and feed for a really good cleaning you should try that as well. Sometime in the manufacturing process a tiny bit of plastic can get in the feed and create a clogging effect.An old soft tooth brush is a pretty good feed cleaning tool.

Snoopyish: If you can, remove the nib and feed and clean them really well. If you still have drops, try a new cartridge with a different ink.

Hope these suggestions help.

Tom

I'm bettin' the nib has Baby's Bottom.

If the nib is really smooth, and it was stated that it is, it is possible that the balls of the tip are holding the slit too far away from the paper. It feels smooth because no sharp edges come anywhere close to the paper. But, if the edges of the slit, where most of the sharp edges might be, can't scratch the paper, the slit isn't close enough to the paper to write well. Capillary action is interrupted and the pen is a hard starter.

The good news is that if it is Baby's Bottom, this can be fixed. You'll need someone who can tune nibs, but it can be done. The nib needs to be worked using 2000-grit paper and the edges of the inner slit need to be properly rounded.

You'll need someone who can tune nibs, but it can be done. If you want to contact me via PM, we can talk business.

-Tim

Edited by TimGirdler

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics

The slight "clicking" is a hint that the tine spacing and alignment may be off. Nibs should not click. You should not need to "flex" the nib to get it to write properly. A properly adjusted nib should write well if it is simply dragged across the paper with only the weight of the pen on it.

Your nib may have multiple problems, or it may just need the slit enlarged so that the tines do not touch at the tip and click when you press and release. A nib technician should be able to help.

so i read somewhere that the removing of the nib on a Kaweco Sport is very easy...so i must be stupid, but I cannot get it off.. HELP? :notworthy1:

so i read somewhere that the removing of the nib on a Kaweco Sport is very easy...so i must be stupid, but I cannot get it off.. HELP? :notworthy1:

yup, you read it here on FPN, and, it is very easy. Much easier than removing the nib/feed from a Sheaffer cartridge pen, which should apply to your problem and that you can read about here.

If that doesn't work, and you're in the LA area this Saturday (10/20/2012) come by the Southern California Pen Collectors Club meeting from 12 noon to 3:00 p.m. at the Mystery and Imagination bookshop, 238 N. Brand Blvd., Glendale, California 91203. 818.545.0206 The shoppe is two blocks north of the Glendale Galleria and four blocks South of the 134 freeway. Bring your pen and ask any attendee for advice (I'll even bring my own Kaweco to demonstrate should you ask me).

Otherwise you can buy the whole grip + feeding + nib assembly for plastic pens for about 10$.

For metal pens Kaweco sells the feed + nib assembly, without the grip.

I wanted a fine nib in my Classic Sport and I just did that.

It was much simpler than disassembling the whole and changing the nib.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

I, too, had a problem with my kaweco sport pen when I first got it. It was gifted to me by my dad for my Birthday. Again, I, being lazy, did not flush the pen prior to inking. I stuck with the original cartridge that it came with, and had a very similar experience - skipping, starting half way, blotting, etc.

To fix the problem, I had to do the following:

- Flush the pen with water and drop of soap (had to flush several times due to my laziness of not washing it prior to inking)

- Flossed the nib (make sure you have a steady hand and a good loupe... I almost had an "oops" when I was doing this, and about cried, thinking I had ruined the nib)

- Changed out cartridge: I was not impressed with the cartridge it came with. The ink seemed too dry and I had problems with this cartridge even after flushing and flossing the nib. Using another cartridge helped immensely. I'm currently using Omas blue ink cartridges; they work just fine.

*Gave the cartridge a "Squeeze" to prime it: Again, swapping cartridges will help with this and pretty much eliminates the need to prime.

The only time I have any problems now is when I haven't used it for a long time (too many pens!) or if I'm nearing the end of my cartridge. I will say, it is my second favorite for smoothness and writing capability (especially for a left hander). I love my Kaweco! Thanks, Dad! :)

• 2 years later...

I'm bettin' the nib has Baby's Bottom.

If the nib is really smooth, and it was stated that it is, it is possible that the balls of the tip are holding the slit too far away from the paper. It feels smooth because no sharp edges come anywhere close to the paper. But, if the edges of the slit, where most of the sharp edges might be, can't scratch the paper, the slit isn't close enough to the paper to write well. Capillary action is interrupted and the pen is a hard starter.

The good news is that if it is Baby's Bottom, this can be fixed. You'll need someone who can tune nibs, but it can be done. The nib needs to be worked using 2000-grit paper and the edges of the inner slit need to be properly rounded.

You'll need someone who can tune nibs, but it can be done. If you want to contact me via PM, we can talk business.

-Tim

Huzzah! This just fixed my Kaweco Sport. 45 seconds with 6000 grit and it is now miraculously not screwing up. I'd had the exact same problem - skipping at the start of words or sentences. It didn't sound as bad as the OP, but still kept me from using the pen.

I'm with SteveE (above) on this clicking being tine-related. If you have a 10x magnifier, take a close look at the alignment of the tines and logic will tell you if they are good or not (I doubt it). By "flexing" the nib, do you mean bearing down harder on it? That shouldn't be necessary and, anyway, the modern Kaweco nibs are as rigid as a ramrod (but they are -- or should be -- smooooth!)

I would have referred you to the pages of Richard Binder; but I think he has removed the pages that refer to tines and smoothing, for I can no longer find them...

Good luck!

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

I also have this with my Kaweco. Actually bent the nib to open tine a bit and my fine is now mora a medium will be purchasing a new nib and will see what happens

Edited by En passant

En passant (goue more, meneer!), pressing down to open the tines a touch is <wrong> (because you are altering the relationship between nib and feed).

Far better to open up (most carefully and judiciously, mind) the cross-section curvature of the nib, thus opening the gap between tines. It is a miniscule adjustment and needs to be done with magnifier inspection before and after each exertion of pressure, which you apply to the shoulders of the nib...Richard Binder showed us how to do this when he gave us a seminar/workshop on the subject.

(Waar is jy?)