Danitrio Sho-Genkai

Chi Town

Hi, I receieved my Sho - Genkai this morning around 11:00am and have been playing with it ever since. I have now decieded to share it with you all here at FPN, sorry about the delay :-( , but I'm hoping that my review will make up for the delay...There were 25 of these Pens made, of which, 1 of 13 were with out a Clip and then 1 of 12 were with a Clip..............................http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/ChiTown45/DanitrioSho-GenkaiFP002.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/ChiTown45/DanitrioSho-GenkaiFP001.jpg

Appearance & Design (9-10) - When you first look at this pen it is very conservative, and full of Pure Art Work of a Modern Era! If that makes any sense. It is Just a Matte Black Pen! The unusual material it is comprised of is Raw Ebonite, but you would not know that unless someone told you.....http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/ChiTown45/DanitrioSho-GenkaiFP002.jpg

Weight & Dimensions (10-10) - It is still a Large Pen, but it is suitable for my "mitts", but quite possibly not meant for others.....The Cap does NOT POST! Now for the sizes:

It is 37.97grams FULL of ink, sorry I was too excitted and inked it up before I weighed it and then started writing with it.....It is 6.1" Capped x 6.0 UnCapped, the Barell is .64" in Circumferrence and the Cap is .74" in Circumferrence. The Pen on the Left in the Picture in a Nakaya, Next is a GenKai, then is this Pen, then a Mikado, then a Parker DuoFold, all for size comparrisons...http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/ChiTown45/Sho-GenkaiComparasion001.jpg

NIb & Performance (10-10) - I picked out a STUB nib size for my pen! I believe there were Fine, Medium, Bold and Stub nibs available for to choose from. The nib is made of 18Kt 750, and is a two tone nib...http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/ChiTown45/DanitrioSho-GenkaiFP004.jpg

My Nib writes like Butter, and lays down a nice wet line if I want it too...I just have to adjust the valve the way that I want it to lay down a wet line. The nib can be removed and cleaned if necessary and reinstalled by myself.....http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/ChiTown45/DanitrioSho-GenkaiFP005.jpg

Filling System and Maintenance (10-10) - This Fountain Pen uses a Eyedropper w/Shutoff Valve System for filling it with ink. I just filled it today to capacity and it took approximately 5 1/2mm worth of ink. http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/ChiTown45/DanitrioSho-GenkaiFP006.jpg

Cost & Value (10-10) - I purchased this pen from Kevin at Internet Pens. As far as the MSRP goes, i did not see it but I would have to believe that given that there were only 25 of these pens made and that the gentleman who made these passed away, and that most other of the pens that I have seen from Keven go for $1,600.00 (Gengai and Mikado). I feel that this particular pen's value will exceed these pens for the reason's I listed above.....http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a417/ChiTown45/Sho-GenhaiWritingTest001.jpg

Conclussion ( Final Score, 59-60 ) - I'm not sure if I would buy this pen again, but if I did it would have been with a clip! as I feel that the pen is missing just a little bit of something. But it writes like there is no tomorrow! And for that I really like this pen! I will end up putting this pen up as a Collection Piece as I have no other pens with a production run of only 25 pieces....

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chi Town

• watch_art

• enricof

• Jonst

While I'm waiting for my clipped baby Genkai embarrassed_smile.gif, would you explain why you wrote:

I'm not sure if I would buy this pen again"?

I have a Mikado (tame midori) too: how would you compare the two pens?

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Beautiful! I love the clipless look although you don't often see it in pens this big. Good choice with the stub too.

I love it! Can't wait to see mine in real life :)

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

You're in Deep trouble Dad. When Mom finds out about this you'll be sleeping with Junior and Winston in the shed. I'm willing to keep her off the net, but I'll need the car keys to the Trans Am tamale night, hot date you know. Beautiful Louisville Slugger, when do Doug and I get to see it in the flesh? Son

You're in Deep trouble Dad. When Mom finds out about this you'll be sleeping with Junior and Winston in the shed. I'm willing to keep her off the net, but I'll need the car keys to the Trans Am tamale night, hot date you know. Beautiful Louisville Slugger, when do Doug and I get to see it in the flesh? Son

Yes, Dad, with head down, maybe next week we all can go to coffee and I can also bring some pens that I have fixed as well to the meeting......your son, sniff, sniff

While I'm waiting for my clipped baby Genkai embarrassed_smile.gif, would you explain why you wrote:

Hi, when I seen the original pictures of this pen, I believe they were Blue in color, not black....So when I opened the box and seen a Black pen I was stunned! I was totally unprepared for a Black pen, and I'm not sure at this point if I would have purchased a Black pen, as they are not my style. However, I now own this pen and that is that!

Now how would I compare the Mikado and This pen? To me there is no comparrison, as My Mikardo is a Tamenari in color.....I believe that is the right name? The Mikado has styling to it with the rounded edges as well as the coloring.

Now, with all that I have said above, enough can be said in the exact opposite direction in styling for the Sho - Genkai with it's straight edges and rounded sides and then it's Matte Black finish.

So what I am trying to say to YOU, is that the BEAUTY is truely in the EYE of the beholder! And I believe in that with all my heart.....I was just stunned over the color issue over the pictures that I had seen when I ordered the pen vs. when I opened the Box, ya know what I mean?

I hope that you get as much JOY out of your pen as what you are fully expecting to get!

Best Regards,

Mike

Edited by Chi Town

Hi, when I seen the original pictures of this pen, I believe they were Blue in color, not black....So when I opened the box and seen a Black pen I was stunned! I was totally unprepared for a Black pen, and I'm not sure at this point if I would have purchased a Black pen, as they are not my style. However, I now own this pen and that is that!

Now how would I compare the Mikado and This pen? To me there is no comparrison, as My Mikardo is a Tamenari in color.....I believe that is the right name? The Mikado has styling to it with the rounded edges as well as the coloring.

Now, with all that I have said above, enough can be said in the exact opposite direction in styling for the Sho - Genkai with it's straight edges and rounded sides and then it's Matte Black finish.

So what I am trying to say to YOU, is that the BEAUTY is truely in the EYE of the beholder! And I believe in that with all my heart.....I was just stunned over the color issue over the pictures that I had seen when I ordered the pen vs. when I opened the Box, ya know what I mean?

I hope that you get as much JOY out of your pen as what you are fully expecting to get!

Best Regards,

Mike

I stay off of FPN for a week and what do I get? Geeeesh...

the Danitrio Fellowship

outstanding review thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Best Regards,

Mike

I stay off of FPN for a week and what do I get? Geeeesh...

Doug,

Ya nut! - We going for coffee next Saturday with Jim??

• 2 months later...

Out of curiosity, what case are you using to store this Baby Genkai (or are you using the box it came in)? I couldn't find a regular case large enough for it, but Bamapen's case made out of a cigar box worked:

DSC_1354.JPG?gl=US

S.T. Dupont Ellipsis 18kt M nib

Opus 88 Flow steel M nib

Waterman Man 100 Patrician Coral Red 18kt factory stub nib

Franklin-Christoph Model 19 with Masuyama 0.7mm steel cursive italic nib

• 3 weeks later...
1350234516[/url]' post='2485776']

Out of curiosity, what case are you using to store this Baby Genkai (or are you using the box it came in)? I couldn't find a regular case large enough for it, but Bamapen's case made out of a cigar box worked:

DSC_1354.JPG?gl=US

Given that I Use my Sho Genkai almost on an every day basis as a writer, I do not keep it in a box.Where I do keep it thou is on my desk in a round display.......that holds 12 pens. When I Adam finished using the pen it will go into my large pen case / Humidor that holds 130 pens. But I really like your single pen case from bama pens!