Pelikan Souveran M1000

humsin

This review is based upon the opinions of myself alone. In each category, I have included a weighting relative to how I view to importance of each section. Please feel free to comment!!

Introduction:

For a long time, I've known that the Pelikan M1000 is a good pen. Knowing this pen's pedigree as well as the praise it receives on FPN, it was long on my wish list and I was going to buy it once I had the chance. My chance came a few days ago when I walked by Hop Cheong Pens in Hong Kong and seeing a $3300 HKD ($425.53 USD /no tax) price tag, I tried it and then bought it.

post-76872-0-87058200-1344272643.jpg

Appearance & Design: 8/10 (25%)

Everyone knows what an M1000 looks like, but I'll try to give a small description. I picked up the most traditional Souveran style with the black cap and black/green-striped body. The gold-plated clip is shaped like a pelican. The pen deserves an 8/10 because the design is a timeless classic but is not the most innovative. The pelican beak is a nice touch while the etched gold Pelikan cap is an acquired taste. The green stripes show a nice iridescence while the "black" stripes allows you to see the ink level and the mechanics of the pen.

post-76872-0-10375200-1344272669.jpg

Construction & Quality: 6/10 (25%)

You may be shocked by this score but I can be explain. I was first dismayed that the words "Pelikan Souveran Germany" showed no alignment with the clip whatsoever! Look more carefully at the pen and you see squared off edges of the striped celluloid body, completely making the celluloid appear like acrylic. Unscrew the cap and things get worse. The threading provided no resistance and felt cheap. The cap also had no substantial weight and feels like cheap plastic. The clip also does not feel very substantial.

post-76872-0-89193200-1344272559.jpg

Weight & Dimensions: 8/10 (10%)

The size of the pen is good. Both length and girth are good size. This is not a pen to be posted. With regards to weight, I feel the pen is lacking. While the weight of the pen itself is okay, the cap is far too light. Writing balance is very good.

post-76872-0-41156200-1344272579.jpg

Nib & Performance: 10/10 (25%)

The nib is where this pen excels! The nib is large, comparable with that of the 149. Pelikan also cleverly allows the nib to be interchanged by a simple screw system. The nib itself is made out of solid 18k gold with rhodium plated detailing. Etchings of the Pelikan logo and delicate lines are beautiful. It is also polished to a perfect mirror-shine. Most importantly the nib writes perfectly. The F nib that I chose wrote as smoothly as butter and coupled with a little flex, this nib is truly a dream to write with. The Pelikan nib deserves a 10/10!

Filling System: 8.5/10 (5%)

The filling system is what Pelikan calls a "differentiated piston" where the internal axle moves faster than the rotating knob. What this does is that the piston moves fast and the pen is filled with ink rapidly. The downside, as with any piston fill, is that cleaning and maintenance of the ink piston can be problematic if the seal is faulty. Therefore a few points are lost, but nonetheless a good score.

Cost & Value: 8.5/10 (10%)

As with any fountain pen, cost is relative and some think that spending over $100 on a pen is preposterous. For an official MSRP of $775 as shown on the Pelikan site, getting this pen for $425.53 is a pretty good deal in my opinion, although other FPN members have obtained this pen for less. The value is decent because this pen is quite a good performer and I think it will be an excellent workhorse in the years to come. Value is pretty good because I believe this pen will be very durable and I hope to pass it on to my descendants.

Conclusion: Weighted Score: 80.75/100

The Pelikan M1000 is a very good pen although it disappoints in some areas. As shown by the score of 80.75, this pen is definitely a safe purchase. Many FPN members consider this pen a "must have" in a pen collection. However, while this is a very good pen, I don't think it's a pen that will leave you awestruck. I hope you enjoyed reading this review, and again please feel free to post your comments.

Edited by humsin

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• Koyote

• humsin

• olivier78860

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel the same about the construction of the pen. Compared with some other top tier pen makers the M1000 feels "cheap". The plastic is too lightweight.

Thanks for a balanced review. This was my first "good" pen and I was thrilled to have it. Over time, I have become less enthusiastic but still like the pen. My biggest issue is that it is quite sensitive to the type of ink that you use. If it is not a dryer ink, it runs out of the pen like a fire hose. This is the only pen out of almost 60 that I own that acts like this. Agreed, the nib is nice. :thumbup: I never gave much consideration to the cap, but you are right. It really is light-weight.

I find my Souveran M1000 to be well made and constructed. I bought it in sometime around the middle of 2007. The nib is springy and it is a very smooth F nib with extra cushion (due to springiness).

I think I should use it more.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

My M1000 is for me perfect. My big hand is only a bit bigger than yours, so why do you use it with the cap on? As to the gripes mentioned above, I don't get it. This pen is by no means an el cheapo as regards quality. It is also not a lightweight pen (check out all of the literature here on this). That weight is only to be superseded by my M900. As for size itself, as everybody already knows, the M1000 is only really comparable with a 149.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Try to flex the nib a little. This should improve the overall mark by at least 10%, once you reach 2B from your F ;)

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

My M1000 is for me perfect. My big hand is only a bit bigger than yours, so why do you use it with the cap on? As to the gripes mentioned above, I don't get it. This pen is by no means an el cheapo as regards quality. It is also not a lightweight pen (check out all of the literature here on this). That weight is only to be superseded by my M900. As for size itself, as everybody already knows, the M1000 is only really comparable with a 149.

Mike

Size-wise it's fine, but I find the overall weight not very substantial (compared to say the Defi S.T. Dupont, or the Homo Sapiens).

Try to flex the nib a little. This should improve the overall mark by at least 10%, once you reach 2B from your F ;)

Nib category is already 10/10 and it's weighted 25% =D

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

congrats on your purchase, you did very well :thumbup: Owning two m1000s they are among my favorite pens

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

A really nice pen! Thanks for the review. I doubted to buy the M1000, but ended with a M805 with silver trim.

That will result in a sprung nib, I suspect.

If the cap is so light it seems great to post as it doesn´t add nasty weight to the rear of the pen, when wanting to extend its length.

Quality wise, Pelikan seems to be neglecting the perceived quality (don't know about real quality, as I don't own one) of its plastics -when trying out the M800 (actually looking for the blue M805) at local shops, its plastics and body striatings seemed very cheap for a pen of its price tag; and the thread edges actually felt really harsh if gripping the pen in that area (as so controvertially stated in another, wrongly tittled, topic in this forum). Maybe this provides a clue for the financial (markting?) problems known at Pelikan.

WWW.nelsonsousaphoto.com

Welcome to the club! I have two M1000s and they are among my favorite pens. I have never had a leak with any Pelikan Piston filler. Once in a while I put a little silicone grease inside the window when the piston is tight. The nibs are glorious on the M1000. I doubt that you would spring the nib by going from fine to BB. The line width would go from 0.05 mm to 0.10 mm, each tine would move approximately 0.025 mm--pretty negligible. But of course, once a nib is sprung . . . .

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Welcome to the club! I have two M1000s and they are among my favorite pens. I have never had a leak with any Pelikan Piston filler. Once in a while I put a little silicone grease inside the window when the piston is tight. The nibs are glorious on the M1000. I doubt that you would spring the nib by going from fine to BB. The line width would go from 0.05 mm to 0.10 mm, each tine would move approximately 0.025 mm--pretty negligible. But of course, once a nib is sprung . . . .

I think you are a little off there...Though there is no standard, I think most would consider BB to be >1mm.

"Try to flex the nib a little. This should improve the overall mark by at least 10%, once you reach 2B from your F"

"doubt that you would spring the nib by going from fine to BB. The line width would go from 0.05 mm to 0.10 mm, each tine would move approximately 0.025 mm--pretty negligible. But of course, once a nib is sprung . . . . "

Fascinating...Ain't gonna happen..In My Very Humble Opinion..And..

Yours / Others Mileage May Vary..

Ladies and Gentlemen Be Forewarned!

Fred

Oops! You're right! 1mm. Still, 0.25mm is pretty negligible. I can get 1.0 mm with my EF nib.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks for a balanced review. This was my first "good" pen and I was thrilled to have it. Over time, I have become less enthusiastic but still like the pen. My biggest issue is that it is quite sensitive to the type of ink that you use. If it is not a dryer ink, it runs out of the pen like a fire hose. This is the only pen out of almost 60 that I own that acts like this. Agreed, the nib is nice. :thumbup: I never gave much consideration to the cap, but you are right. It really is light-weight.

Mr. Michael Masuyama was able to transform my M1000 from a fire hose into a "nicely wet" pen and a fantastic writer..So if the excessive flow is the only issue, the solution is available.

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for contributing to this post. It looks to me I better stay clear from plastic FPs.

With love,

goldenkrishna

Ik tik