Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Is My Lamy 2000 Filled Up?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 caitlinssj

caitlinssj

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:05

It's my first piston FP and I must have done something wrong with my LAMY 2k. Just got it the other day, flushed the pen with the ink several times (more than 10 times) by filling, depositing and refilling the pen.

This may be a dumb question but I know there's an indicator on the pen to show if the ink is low. The problem is no matter how many times I've filled it up, when I tilt the pen, there is no ink in the barrel at all. I don't see any liquid moving around. Or at least it seems like it to me. I could see through the ink indicator so I'm not sure if my pen is inked up or not although I can write just fine.

Some clarification on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

#2 sirksael

sirksael

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:36

Hello,

Try this filling procedure:
1) start with the piston fully closed, i.e. the blind cap flush with the barrel
2) unscrew the blind cap fully. When it is fully open, you should see the piston moving through the ink window.
3) dip the nib in the ink. Make sure the nib and the beginning of the section are fully submerged in the ink, so you cannot suck air in.
4) Fully close the blind cap, while keeping the section submerged in ink.
5) Wipe section and nib clean

Now you should have at least partially filled the pen. If there is still no ink at all in the pen, there is probably something wrong with the pen.
Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

#3 alkman

alkman

Paraclausithyron

• Member - Gold

• 854 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:11

The ink window on the L2K shows a narrow stripe of the color of the ink with which you filled the pen when held up to the light, i.e. it will not be wholly transparent. IOW unless you can see clearly through it when held to the light, there is ink in it. When the ink level gets low, the color when held to the light will be more translucent. It's not like most piston fillers where you can clearly see the ink at the wall of the pen's ink window. HTH.

PS I am working my way through my first fill on my first L2K :)

#4 Susanlouise

Susanlouise

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:21

It's my first piston FP and I must have done something wrong with my LAMY 2k. Just got it the other day, flushed the pen with the ink several times (more than 10 times) by filling, depositing and refilling the pen.

This may be a dumb question but I know there's an indicator on the pen to show if the ink is low. The problem is no matter how many times I've filled it up, when I tilt the pen, there is no ink in the barrel at all. I don't see any liquid moving around. Or at least it seems like it to me. I could see through the ink indicator so I'm not sure if my pen is inked up or not although I can write just fine.

Some clarification on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Next time you try it, fill it by first unscrewing the knob, put the nib all the way down in the ink bottle, and then screw the piston knob down again. then eject the ink by unscrewing the piston knob (over a sink). If there was ink in the barrel, you should see several drops of ink come out. That way you'll know if ink got in the barrel regardless of whether you can make something out in the ink window.

#5 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:30

What a timely post! I am working on a monster Lamy 2000 review, and I just got done with the ink window section.

Here's a picture of a full ink window:
Posted Image

An empty ink window:
Posted Image

And a full ink window (top) next to an empty ink window:
Posted Image

#6 New_Falcon

New_Falcon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2012 - 14:32

From what I have read, the Lamy 2000 window is designed to look at horizontally rather than vertically, like the pen flat on a desk.

#7 51ISH

51ISH

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2012 - 15:08

Hi

Here is a link to a video

Sorry I don't know how to do that natty thing that puts the video screen straight on here

Hope this helps..... I thought the instruction pamphlet was a bit useless too....

#8 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Admin Tech.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:01

I like to cycle the piston twice, which tends to get a bit more air out of it than just doing it once.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Pilot Elite 95S - M - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same // Parker 21 Super - M - Noodler's Widowmaker // Stipula Modello T FPN LE - Conway Stewart Kingsand // Parker Duofold (Canadian) - F - Diamine Meadow // Delta Via Veneto Doué Elegance - M - Conway Stewart Kingsand

#9 51ISH

51ISH

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2012 - 18:58

I like to cycle the piston twice, which tends to get a bit more air out of it than just doing it once.

I think the video does show this method....if I picked the right video.. :rolleyes: