#1 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,778 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 17:56

About two weeks back, I placed an impulse bid on a used Lamy2000 set listed on ebay by one of the reputed sellers. It was an impulse bid really with only a couple of seconds for the auction to end. I thought I had overpaid, I could have bought a new Lamy2000 FP for the price I paid, but I was getting the BP also and I wanted to try the BP. Anyway, the set arrived in a week from Germany. To my surprise, the set was an early Lamy 2000 set, both the FP and BP. I used this excellent thread and post to determine the age of the set: link. This is another excellnt blog entry on the Lamy2000 variants: link

The old set:

FP and BP:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The clips, note the ball insert to form the clip's gripping tab on both the pens:
Posted Image

Heat Stamping on the BP Barrel:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Stamping on the FP cap: Lamy2000 W. Germany
Posted Image

Posted Image

The wonderful OB nib, 18Kt:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nib Grade OB stamped on the section:
Posted Image

The Lamy logo L on the knob end:
Posted Image

Comparing the older L2k to my other L2k that I bought new in 2004, F nib:

Posted Image

Clips:
Posted Image

Knob ends:
Posted Image

Nib sections:
Posted Image

Ink view window, newer one on the left:
Posted Image

The dried M16 refill found on the BP, a new M16 fitted the pen perfectly!
Posted Image

Some pictures of the entrails in the older pen:

Notice the proprietary folded rubber seal on the lip of the barrel threads, a similar seal is found on the MB 72/74 etc... Newer ones have an O-ring. Rubber seal on the piston, and the transparent anti rotation guide, it is black opaque on the newer ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The piston was slightly stiff, expected from a very old pen like this. Disassembly was straight forward and the piston is very smooth now. Did a disassembly and some cleaning of the forepart(did not take pictures) and the pen writes like a champ. The flow regulator on the feed is green in color!

I have been using the set for the last one week. I usually have a tough time using a left Oblique nib, but somehow this nib is superb to use and the pen makes a wonderful line with some line variation.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers!
Hari

Edited by hari317, 23 July 2012 - 18:59.

#2 Redbarchettayyz

Redbarchettayyz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:01

That is a great comparison, Hari. Thanks for putting this up. I have actually never seen the 2000 BP, so that was interesting.
Get some tasty knowledge -
Frederick Kaff's Illogical Conclusions

Current Rotation: Montblanc 234 1/2g - M, Sailor 1911M - F, Montblanc 34 - OB, Montblanc 24 - OM, Montblanc 14 - M, 1946 Parker Vacumatic - F

#3 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:24

Very nice, Hari. From the pictures (though it's hard to tell with reflections and such) it appears to have been gingerly used. I bought an old mechanical pencil a few years ago and it came very shiny and smooth. Talk about patina!

Nice pic of the rubber seal, and cool also that you got one with a green stripe on the feed. The mark of an original! Congratulations and nice score!

#4 JustinJ

JustinJ

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:30

Thank you for the review and pictures. I like the stamping and logo on the older Lamy 2000 better than the more modern Lamy 2000.

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,778 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:32

Very nice, Hari. From the pictures (though it's hard to tell with reflections and such) it appears to have been gingerly used. I bought an old mechanical pencil a few years ago and it came very shiny and smooth. Talk about patina!

Nice pic of the rubber seal, and cool also that you got one with a green stripe on the feed. The mark of an original! Congratulations and nice score!

The pen is shiny in patches, but it was quite clean from inside. Wow, I did not know about the green stripe on the feed, what does that indicate?

Actually I was quite careful around the lip seal, I learnt about these seals the hard way with a Montblanc 72. These will tear easily and they tend to bunch up when screwing on the section. On the Montblanc, the section can crack due to the stress!

Thank you also for the 2000 history thread. I wish the now missing pics on that thread could come back. is that possible? It will be helpful for us Lamy fans.

Hari

#6 bphollin

bphollin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:45

As I understand it, the green stripe in the feed was used in the original run of Lamy 2000s, and then was replaced by the now standard and slightly revised solid black feed. I'm not sure when exactly this change occurred, though. Someone posted more information on this in that thread.

By the way, I just found the old pictures. I didn't know they had been removed from Flickr! I will see if the mods can help me reinstate them.

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,778 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:58

As I understand it, the green stripe in the feed was used in the original run of Lamy 2000s, and then was replaced by the now standard and slightly revised solid black feed. I'm not sure when exactly this change occurred, though. Someone posted more information on this in that thread.

By the way, I just found the old pictures. I didn't know they had been removed from Flickr! I will see if the mods can help me reinstate them.

Thank you, a google search revealed this excellent blog post with pics. link, I will post a link to this blog on my OP as well.

#8 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 20:13

Great thread Hari, thanks for posting it and congrats on the new pens. Now there's the roller ball and the pencil and you have the complete set? :rolleyes:

#9 fortlane

fortlane

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 20:29

Great post. I have a newer Lamy 2000 FP and it was interesting to see how the older models differ.

#10 ralfstc

ralfstc

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2012 - 22:19

Hi Hari,

Thanks for this great post. Which do you find the nicer to write with? (Hard to tell when the nibs are so different I guess?) I've handled couple of 1960s/70s 2000s and thought they were somehow more satisfying to use than newer ones, even before the all-metal section.

Cheers,

Ralf

#11 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,778 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:15

Great thread Hari, thanks for posting it and congrats on the new pens. Now there's the roller ball and the pencil and you have the complete set? :rolleyes:

Thank you. Actually I was not seeking these out actively, it just happened. I might buy a new pencil, but not anytime soon. :)

Great post. I have a newer Lamy 2000 FP and it was interesting to see how the older models differ.

Thank you.

Hi Hari,

Thanks for this great post. Which do you find the nicer to write with? (Hard to tell when the nibs are so different I guess?) I've handled couple of 1960s/70s 2000s and thought they were somehow more satisfying to use than newer ones, even before the all-metal section.

Cheers,

Ralf

Hi Ralf, the 2004 pen was my reliable workhorse and was in continuous rotation for a good many years, it is still like new but I have retired it. I still have to bond with the new older one :)

best
Hari

#12 amk

amk

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:41

Oh dear Hari, do you know what you have done?

I thought having a Lamy 2000, I had met that particular requirement for my collection... but now I want an older one, too! I particularly like the cap end and clip detailing on the older pen - the newer version doesn't quite have as much character.

#13 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,778 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 18:50

:)

Now I am being pulled in a different direction. The new all SS Lamy2000 is calling me. The pull is unbearable.

Hari

#14 markiv

markiv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2012 - 23:34

A great review. I am glad you found love in this OB given your typical discomfort with slanted nibs.

Edited by markiv, 26 July 2012 - 23:35.

Posted Image

#15 Andrew H

Andrew H

Chargin' Windmills

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 00:54

Any spring or flex in the nib?
"I hope to add some measure of grace to the world. . . . Whether I win or lose does not matter, only that I follow the quest."

Looking for a Sheaffer Sovereign II Gray Pearl with an EF nib.

#16 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 11,778 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:02

A great review. I am glad you found love in this OB given your typical discomfort with slanted nibs.

Thanks. perhaps a reverse oblique nib is more suited to my grip and palm position.

Any spring or flex in the nib?

The 18K nib is firm but not rigid. a very pleasing nib.

#17 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 11,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:31

lovely pen indeed, thanks for the review
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image