Guys. Seriously. Noodlers Inks In Vintage Pens

Mastersmith043

So I just bought a Parker Vacumatic, and when I was eyeing my inks, I decided I want to put a Noodler's ink in it. But.....

I've seen on Greg Minuskin's blog that Noodler's ink melts the rubber The culprit and I know that there are some people who really dislike Noodler's for a variety of reasons.

So all I want is an straight answer- will using Noodler's ink kill my pen?

P.S. I do practice very good- read O.C.D.- pen hygiene and I won't leave a fill in there for long.

Check out my fledgling pen blog, Kimball's Writing Instruments at http://kimballspens.blogspot.com/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• Margana

• dcpritch

• mhosea

Only if you get a sac from the bad batch of sacs from a few years ago... I can't find the exact article... but this are good

http://ravensmarch.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/al-dente/

But no - Noodler's won't eat your pen. :)

NO.

(Well, I would be a little reluctant to fill a vintage pen with Noodler's INK-WHICH-CANNOT-BE-NAMED, but Bulletproof Black has never been a problem in any of my vintage pens.)

Only if you get a sac from the bad batch of sacs from a few years ago... I can't find the exact article... but this are good

http://ravensmarch.w...08/17/al-dente/

But no - Noodler's won't eat your pen. :)

Thanks watch_art, I remember that batch of sacs. I had quite a few sacs turn to goo. And it didn't just happen with Noodler's inks. It happened with any ink.

I use Noodler's inks in all of my vintage pens. :thumbup:

Edited by krz

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Speaking from the point of view of not having a lot of actual pen making knowledge, I can tell you anicdotally that I haven't had any problems with Noodler's in my vintage pens.

I do, however, want to trot out ye olden pen/car analogy for just a second.

They say with a car that the key to keeping the paint nice (beyond keeping it out of the sun) is to "keep the surface moving". It's not so much about cleaning every particle of dust off the paint, but more about not letting those particles sit for long.

I apply the same philosophy to pens; that is... if you ain't gonna use it for a while, empty that sucker.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Whew. Thanks you guys. I feel much better about this, but I have another question for the citizens of fountain pendom.

Will Liberty's Elysium stain my Parker Vacumatic?

Check out my fledgling pen blog, Kimball's Writing Instruments at http://kimballspens.blogspot.com/

The "usual suspect" ink is the only one that I have had problems with.

I will place some of the blame on myself, but nothing was done with it that wasn't done with over 90 other inks.

If you really are OCD about flushing out your pens, I don't think you will have any problems no matter which brand or colour of ink you choose.

fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

Whew. Thanks you guys. I feel much better about this, but I have another question for the citizens of fountain pendom.

It depends on the color of your pen. Any highly saturated ink will stain light colors, especially if they're able to dry between the feed and section. Go hunt for Goodguy's review of what happened to his Visconti Romanica about 3 years ago when he used a saturated ink.

If you're looking to keep a light colored pen pristine, go for an easily rinsable low saturation ink such as Herbin. I use those in my Ripples with the white feeds to keep those feeds white.

If you really are OCD about flushing out your pens, I don't think you will have any problems no matter which brand or colour of ink you choose.

Agreed. The main thing is to ensure the pen is thoroughly flushed out. Even using a bit of ammonia as part of the flushing process isn't a bad idea. It's too bad though, that there isn't some sort of litmus paper that one can stick in to check to see if one has done an adequate cleaning job.

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

So I just bought a Parker Vacumatic, and when I was eyeing my inks, I decided I want to put a Noodler's ink in it. But.....

I've seen on Greg Minuskin's blog that Noodler's ink melts the rubber The culprit and I know that there are some people who really dislike Noodler's for a variety of reasons.

So all I want is an straight answer- will using Noodler's ink kill my pen?

P.S. I do practice very good- read O.C.D.- pen hygiene and I won't leave a fill in there for long.

Speaking as a vintage pen collector, why take the chance? I have no problems with the "standard" colors, but seriously - why do I want to take a chance with an oversize vac or a vintage Mont Blanc? It's ONLY ink, guys, not a religious experience!

Your produce alone was worth the trip...

The only thing that really bothers me about threads like this is that there are over 100 varieties of Noodler's Ink. Which one are we talking about?

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

....... It's ONLY ink, guys, not a religious experience!

...but sometimes pretty close :cloud9:

... I have another question for the citizens of fountain pendom.

fpn_1342640299__img_1115_1024x848.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Here are a couple more examples of Noodler's ink currently in pens I'm using. I agree with the posts above about using good pen care practices, like cleaning your pen out frequently and never leaving it sit unused for more than 10 days (my own personal rule). But I apply these rules to all inks, not just one brand.

fpn_1342641010__img_1117_958x1024.jpg

Not long ago I finished a fill of Noodler's BSB in one of my favorite Bexleys - after two weeks of use and two fills the BSB cleaned out nicely without any staining. Here's the pen when I was using it (message written for another thread):

fpn_1339779756__p1020100_717x1024.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Hi,

There are certain dyes which attack plastics and rubbers, and this is not necessarily related to ink pH. I will not say that Noodler's ink does or does not attack certain materials. I will only say that they use specific dyes which are not often used in the fountain pen ink world. I have no empirical evidence that these dyes cause damage to specific materials, but I recommend exercising caution. Personally there are certain inks (certain colors from certain manufacturers including "safe" ink manufacturers) that I would use only in modern pens with parts that you can easily get replacements for in the case that something goes wrong.

If you would be devastated if your pen was damaged, I would certainly play it safe and not use inks like Noodler's in it. However, if you are adventurous, of if you can easily find a replacement or parts, go ahead.

Noodler's is certainly innovative, but only time (and perhaps controlled experimentation) will tell what the effects of using unconventional dyes will be.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon