Noodler's Dark Matter

crazystan

My go to black. I started out wanting all of my inks to be bulletproof, and then I found Dark Matter. It dries quickly, is well behaved, and plays nicely with every pen I've put it in. Also, I tend to favor shading over saturation, so, YMMV.

All comparisions were written with a dipped Ahab.

Cheers!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc144/cmdouyard/DarkMatterReview.jpg

Edited by crazystan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crazystan

• tonybelding

• jandrese

• Mags

Tis one of my go to inks. Much better behaved than basic Noodler's black. Thanks for sharing.

No problem, and agreed on the behavior. If only it stood up to water, though I guess it needs more than 30 minutes to sit...

Thanks for the ink review. I must try a bottle.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Good review Crazystan.

Dark Matter was the 2nd ink I purchased and is always nice to write with although not as intensely black as Heart of Darkness.

Seems to be Noodler's least mentioned black.

It also has an interesting label and backstory too.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

maguierer and Bogon07,

Thanks!

Bogon- I initially shied away from it because it wasn't bulletproof, nor, based on some of what I read, was it a ubiquitously loved ink. So, oddly enough, I pretty much avoided blacks until I picked up a bottle of this back in February. Now it's always loaded in one of my pens.

Yep, I like this one too. Blacks are usually kind of boring, but this one is more interesting than average. It's the only black that I have a bottle of.

My Blog: Inkdependence!

This is very interesting indeed, great review and post!. I have used Black, heart of Darkness, and Old Manhattan black in sequential bottles, but never at the same time. They've seemed sorta interchangeable and I have liked them all a lot. Now you add Dark Matter and tell me it's better behaved! Has anyone done a review of all of them together? And maybe thrown in Eel Black?

It's not a completely academic matter for me...though I have far too many blues around, I'm down to half a bottle of OMB so will be looking for one of the Noodlers blacks soonish. I also use Sheaffer black, have tried but not been happy with the super saturated ones, and keep coming back to Noodlers for my main black.

Thoughts? Anyone have them and want to do it?

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Thanks for the post. I was inspired to look for my bottle of DM. I just filled a TWSBI 540 B. Ready to use tomorrow to record some field observations I've been hired to do.

I also have heart of darkness but I find it feathers too much on cheap paper.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Thanks all!

Ravantra, I agree with you on HOD. I love the color, but I can't stand the behavior.

Good review Crazystan.

Dark Matter was the 2nd ink I purchased and is always nice to write with although not as intensely black as Heart of Darkness.

Seems to be Noodler's least mentioned black.

It also has an interesting label and backstory too.

What is the backstory behind this ink??

It's quite nice out here in the sunshine...

Much better behaved than basic Noodler's black.

Nothing really beats Noodler's Black in terms of handling poor quality paper.

However, Dark Matter is faster-drying and lower-maintenance than Noodler's Black, and it does have some degree of permanence. I found it bleeds less than Borealis Black, which is the "other" conventional (non-bulletproof) black ink from Noodler's. And although Dark Matter isn't as black as some others, I sometimes welcome a change from all the deep blackety-black inks.

So, I like it. Whether I like it better than black Sheaffer Skrip or Herbin Perle Noire is another question that's harder to answer. There are a lot of good black inks on the market.

Much better behaved than basic Noodler's black.

Nothing really beats Noodler's Black in terms of handling poor quality paper.

However, Dark Matter is faster-drying and lower-maintenance than Noodler's Black, and it does have some degree of permanence. I found it bleeds less than Borealis Black, which is the "other" conventional (non-bulletproof) black ink from Noodler's. And although Dark Matter isn't as black as some others, I sometimes welcome a change from all the deep blackety-black inks.

So, I like it. Whether I like it better than black Sheaffer Skrip or Herbin Perle Noire is another question that's harder to answer. There are a lot of good black inks on the market.

Good overall assessment.

Out of curiosity, as I've never used it, what is leading you to prefer the Herbin Perle Noire?

Out of curiosity, as I've never used it, what is leading you to prefer the Herbin Perle Noire?

Erm. I've only had a sample vial and a few carts with Perle Noir. My impression has been very good, but not enough experience to give a real review as such.

It's darker black than Dark Matter and seems like a good, conventionally "permanent", but not waterproof, black ink. And it's available in international cartridges, which can't be said of Skrip or Noodler's. (But PR Velvet Black is available in carts. It's been a long time since I had any Velvet Black, but I recall it being pretty good too.)

I have never tried this ink, but might be inclined to do so. I would like to do a big review of all the black inks I have, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The brst thing I have done is include them in the thread where the pages are in the caboose out in Vegas. I'm curious how they fare. I am fairly sure that the Noodler's black inks are well represented in this test.

Smith Premier No. 4