Organics Studio Neon

foiled_again

I saw a post on the Market Watch forum in FPN about a new ink company named Organics Studio starting up in Maryland that was taking pre-orders to help get started and knew immediately that this was a perfect marriage of my growing ink obsession and desire to "buy local." Once I saw the assurance from Bert of Bert's Inkwell that these were good fountain pen friendly inks I went ahead and sent an email to Tyler, the creator of the inks--a few weeks later I had 4 beautiful bottles of ink arrive on my door step.

Although the packaging wouldn't come close to standing up to the Goulet's packaging, the feel of the presentation of the inks and my order actually reminded me of the Goulet's--there was a handwritten note at the end of my receipt and each of the limited edition bottles came hand labelled. The actual bottles are "limited edition" bottles that Tyler has switched away from after receiving feedback on FPN, so I'll skip commenting any more on the presentation of the inks and get straight to the actual inks.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/7553968984_9835fa320b_c.jpg

Organics Studio Neon - Summary by foiled-again, on Flickr

I really liked this ink (and actually, all of the organics studio inks that I've tried--reviews of those will follow). It's a beautiful red/orange that really pops off the page and shades wonderfully from a color very similar to Diamine's Pumpkin to something closer to their "Wild Strawberry" with it's pink undertones. One thing that surprised me, however, was that "Neon" isn't very neon! It's a very saturated, beautiful color, but nothing I would call "neon"--it's simpler too dark an orange for that.

Once I got over that surprise I was pleasantly impressed by almost of the inks properties. It did well on the papers I threw at it from Rhodia above to regular 20lb copy paper to even some newsprint, with minimal feathering and bleedthrough on all except the newsprint. It's a highly saturated ink in terms of the color I see on the page, but it hasn't shown any nib creep in about a week of use and cleans out quite quickly in all the pens I've used it in--a couple flushes with my handy earbulb syringe and all my nibs bled out only clear water when pressed with a paper towel. Add to all of that lovely smoothness of the ink, which made even my older slightly scratchy Preppy feel nice when writing the review, and I'd say it's a winner.

There are only two places in which the ink does not excell and that's water resistance and dry time. As you can see in the image above, the water resistance is not quite abysmal, but it's not too far off, and the drying time is a tad on the long side. In actual daily use I don't think I ever smudged anything that wasn't quite dry, but I could easily see the dry time as getting annoying. And while the water resistance is pretty bad, and I certainly would never address an envelope with Neon, who expects/needs their orange ink to be waterproof?

All in all, I quite like the ink and will probably keep it inked in one of my daily use pens for a little while longer at least.

One of the most important points of any ink review, for me at least, is the writing sample. Below I've put writing samples on Rhodia and 20lb copy paper with an Ahab, a Preppy, and a TWSBI 540. Hopefully it gives a good range of nib styles in reasonably common pens that can be used for a reference, but let me know if you'd like to something else (my only italic is a stub Kaigelu so I thought these would be better references, but I could easily include a sample with it as well).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8426/7553988592_f28e967270_c.jpg

Organics Studio Neon - Rhodia Sample by foiled-again, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8434/7554010490_ccbcc36f31_c.jpg

Organics Studio Neon - Copy Paper Sample by foiled-again, on Flickr

So if you're looking for a nice pink-y red-y orange, I'd definitely consider this ink. When I went back to the site to consider ordering some brown, which looked awfully tempting in Tess's pictures, I noticed that noticed that Tyler is offering 5ml samples for only $2 on his website which is a great way to try out his inks for anyone whose curious.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• foiled_again

• Uncle Red

• Tess

• OrganicsStudio

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, gosh, now I need Mercury AND Neon. :headsmack:

Awesome review!

Thanks for the compliment Tess! Your early look made me realize I needed Boron so it only seems equitable that I help you realize you need another of his inks. Really, the coupon code we got with pre-order is dangerous--otherwise it would be easier to resist the pull of shiny new ink. ;)

It looks to named after Neon lights, which are similar in colour to this ink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_lighting

I also assumed it was named after neon lights, but to me the color doesn't have any of the bright almost florescence I'd expect from neon lighting--but it could also be the recollection of the old Crayola "Neon Orange" markers that was influencing my thoughts. ;)

Either way, I think in the end I find the difference in color from what I expected to be a pleasant surprise--I think this color is just as beautiful as I thought it would be, if not more so, and a lot more usable for me.

• 2 years later...