Mont Blanc Mystery Black

tommyss4l

post-88819-0-59413200-1341896242.jpg

Mont Blanc Mystery Black with Faber-Castell Astound on Black & Red A4 Notebook

*Smear Test* The smear test shows dashes after 1-5 and 10 seconds from left to right. The ink dries fast enough for me, by the time I reach the next line, the ink where my hand is resting is dry and no smudges on the paper or my hand. The ink flows at a steady pace, keeping up with fast writing but still slow enough to not blob up with slower writing. After staying capped all afternoon, a quick lick of the nib and the ink was flowing like it had never stopped. Even leaving the cap off for an hour the lick-and-stick rule still works. The nib lubrication is amazing, “skating on paper” could be applied. The ink looks quite dark and makes strong lines on the paper with average pressure, without any feathering or bleeding. While the text is slightly visible on the reverse of my legal pad paper, it is not so dark it inhibits writing. The ink does not seem to care about my hand oils, or perhaps my hands are not oily enough to make a difference. I wrote a page of notes today with no problem, as well as a few pages in this book. My old Waterman Intense Black is close to this one, but a smidge lighter. The ink store I go to only sells it in cartridges, which is perfect for me, but I do not know if it is sold in bottles as well.

The pen is mightier than the sword. The tip of a pen can start or end wars, move resources, and change the lives of billions. Swords blush at the pen's death count.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillZ

• carlos.q

• tommyss4l

• AJ50

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-88819-0-59413200-1341896242.jpg

Mont Blanc Mystery Black with Faber-Castell Astound on Black & Red A4 Notebook

*Smear Test* The smear test shows dashes after 1-5 and 10 seconds from left to right. The ink dries fast enough for me, by the time I reach the next line, the ink where my hand is resting is dry and no smudges on the paper or my hand. The ink flows at a steady pace, keeping up with fast writing but still slow enough to not blob up with slower writing. After staying capped all afternoon, a quick lick of the nib and the ink was flowing like it had never stopped. Even leaving the cap off for an hour the lick-and-stick rule still works. The nib lubrication is amazing, “skating on paper” could be applied. The ink looks quite dark and makes strong lines on the paper with average pressure, without any feathering or bleeding. While the text is slightly visible on the reverse of my legal pad paper, it is not so dark it inhibits writing. The ink does not seem to care about my hand oils, or perhaps my hands are not oily enough to make a difference. I wrote a page of notes today with no problem, as well as a few pages in this book. My old Waterman Intense Black is close to this one, but a smidge lighter. The ink store I go to only sells it in cartridges, which is perfect for me, but I do not know if it is sold in bottles as well.

That is my everyday business ink.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."

My MB 149 came with a bottle in the box. It is lovely ink.

Mags

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

One more note, the cartridge seems to last forever. I've been on the same one since the day before I posted this and it's still going strong.

The pen is mightier than the sword. The tip of a pen can start or end wars, move resources, and change the lives of billions. Swords blush at the pen's death count.

• 2 weeks later...

nice ink i use it sometimes,for most official things

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

looks like a very good ink.thanks for the recommendation :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

MB Black is one of my ink staples. I am using it with my 149 EF and I like the flow and shading of this ink. Well behaving ink. :thumbup:

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Thanks for the review! I use this ink in my Montblanc 14, it is a great black! :thumbup:

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

I have been using Mystery Black in my MB 149 (F nib) and Mystery Black cartridges in my MB 145 (M nib) every day at work for a couple of years. For my private writing, despite having a draw full of colourful inks to choose from, I seem to defer to this excellent, reliable ink time after time. Looks great on any shade of white and is simply delicious on cream, particularly when using one of my vintage nibs :puddle:

Really enjoyed Tommy's review.

Pavoni.

• 6 months later...

Is it waterproof like the bottled Blue/Black and Midnight Blue? I am looking to downsize my ink collection and go to one black instead of the three blacks and two blue/blacks I have now. I am afraid of shelflife issues.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

MB Black is not at all waterproof. If you want waterproof try Noodlers Black. If you want a water resistant black try Namiki/Pilot Black or Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. My favorite water resistant BB is MB Midnight Blue.

PS I wouldn't worry too much about shelflife issues. I have and use 80's Skrip Blue, Blue Black and MB Black with no issues at all... :thumbup:

Edited by carlos.q

Hey what passage is that from which you write? It seems like an interesting read!

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

MB Black is not at all waterproof. If you want waterproof try Noodlers Black. If you want a water resistant black try Namiki/Pilot Black or Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. My favorite water resistant BB is MB Midnight Blue.

PS I wouldn't worry too much about shelflife issues. I have and use 80's Skrip Blue, Blue Black and MB Black with no issues at all... :thumbup:

Thanks for the info about MB Black. I guess I'll stick with my Noodler's Black and MB bottled Blue Black(old style).

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

What a shame that it isn't waterproof, its a lovely ink to use.

• 2 weeks later...

MB Black is not iron gall. MB Midnight blue has an iron gall component and a blue dye, which makes it water resistant... with marvelous shading! :happyberet: