Depository Of Handwriting And Calligraphy Styles and Discussion

caliken

Coulée #120

Interesting and attractive examples - thanks for posting. My only concern would be with the minuscule 'h' as it appears at the top. I feel that it could be easily misread as a 'b'.

Ken

Edited by caliken

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• WestLothian

• smk

• tdzb36

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coulée #120

Interesting and attractive examples - thanks for posting. My only concern would be with the minuscule 'h' as it appears at the top. I feel that it could be easily misread as a 'b'.

Ken

I agree, the lower case "t" is also liable to cause confusion. I was interested to find this to help me read script from the period.

Alistair

Coulée #120

http://artflx.uchicago.edu/images/encyclopedie/V19/plate_19_21_11.jpeg

The Encyclopedia of Diderot & d'Alembert

As an aside it is perhaps interesting to note that all these styles used to "compete"

"From the origin of printing technology, styles never ceased to compete in the various

European countries, but also between different types of uses and users of more or less

sophisticated handwriting and calligraphy styles.

Among European handwriting styles, French calligraphy "Francoise" or "Francaise" is

distinguished by its geometric framework where each letter must fit into a square and

constructed on a vertical axis, forcing the scribe often turn to his pen.

The English Roundhand writing, seeking speed, tilts and allows the scribe not to raise

his hand for writing a complete word.

A real "war of handwritings" prevailed in the West that opposed the "ronde" to

"bâtardes" and "coulées", the "positioned" to the "expedited", the cursives to the

monumental "Gothic" recommended for titles and advertisements.

English and Dutch opposed the French just as strongly on writing paper as their navies

did on the open seas.

This competition was really only the translation of their commercial competition.

These calligraphic struggles are not unlike those that exist today between rivalling

software producers and their accusations of abusing monopolies and dominant positions.

At the end of the 18th century, a French calligrapher, called the "famous Bernard"

railed against the invasion of English writing, he considered a "depravity" and

he continued to fight this cause in the Office of Academic Handwriting, a protective body

created by the French government."

(translation from "Les conséquences de l’imprimerie sur l’écriture latine" Michel MELOT)

This is simply beautiful, I may work some of those capitols into my hand, thank you.

The pen is mightier than the sword. The tip of a pen can start or end wars, move resources, and change the lives of billions. Swords blush at the pen's death count.

François (or Français) and Bâtard #124

Jean Alais de Beaulieu

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8231050446_094f3e674e_o_d.jpg

Edited by WestLothian

• 3 months later...
I'm surprised that it was still being taught as late as 1960.

Though I think I learned D'Nealian instead of Palmer, that was the sort of Q I was taught around 1980. To my recollection, no one actually used it when not required to.

I learned it in the early 1960's. Don't know what method was being used. Like others, I abandoned it at some point in time. (Certainly by Junior High School and may have been sooner)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there a video training on learning different styles of handwriting that is worth while?

Is there a video training on learning different styles of handwriting that is worth while?

I think that my DVD is worthwhile (but then I would say that, wouldn't I?)

Have a look at it on my website http//www.kenfrasercalligrapher.com.

Edited by caliken

Ken's DVD is excellent. A wealth of information if you pay attention. Very clear video of him writing and performing his magic; nice and slowly so that you can see what he is doing and this really helps in the understanding of how the letters are actually formed from the pen. In other words, it really makes it a lot easier for you to learn correctly the first time...I watch his video often, and highly recommend it. (A shameless plug for you there, Caliken...but it's all true).

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com

Now in the interest of being all "unbiased" and such, I'd like to point out several other DVDs out there that are available (even though I consider Ken's the most well laid out).

http://www.paperinkarts.com/books---dvds-dvds.html

We have:

1. Spencerian Script with Michael Sull

2. Ron Tate's Spencerian Script

3. Italic with Barbara Getty

4. Offhand flourishing with Michael Sull

5. Billy Lilly's Engrosser (copperplate) script

6. and Copperplate with Ron Tate.

However, the price for each DVD runs you $30-45...

Ken's DVD covers (this isn't on the website but I can read the cover of the DVD case)

1. Formal italic, Cursive italic, blackletter, half unical, copperplate and foundational script.

There's no DVD out there that I know of that covers any of the broad tipped scripts that he does. Plus, the whole thing's just £15. Pretty sweet.

I'm more of a spencerian guy myself, but once I start learning copperplate I'll definitely pick up that dvd and your books, Ken.

Thanks, MusinkMan and thang1thang2.

Your appreciation is appreciated!

Ken

Edited by caliken

• 2 weeks later...

Coulée #120

http://artflx.uchicago.edu/images/encyclopedie/V19/plate_19_21_11.jpeg

The Encyclopedia of Diderot & d'Alembert

This is a broadpoint pen alphabet, yes? I mean, oui?

It requires the use of an right-footed oblique (not too hard or too soft).

The samples and instructions are for a flexible goose plume!

Edited by WestLothian

This is a wonderful resource for historians like myself who deal with lots of different handwritten sources. Every time I see Spencerian handwriting, I think of the Lord of the Admiralty's song from Gilbert and Sullivan's "HMS Pinafore": "I served the writs with a smile so bland, and I copied all the letters in a big round hand. I copied all the letters with a hand so free, that now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee."

Groundhog - Specerian would be very foreign to the Ruler of the Queen's Navy. Strictly English Roundhand!!

Groundhog - Specerian would be very foreign to the Ruler of the Queen's Navy. Strictly English Roundhand!!

Lord of the Admiralty, Winston Churchill was half American. He could very well have been familiar with Spencerian, almost surely Palmer.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Palmer and Spencer influences did not seem to travel well from what I have read, and Vere Foster was covering the need for a simpler style in Great Britain. To be precise Chrurchill's parent were both English (although his mother was American-born English) and his education was English and he certainly was not the intended subject of the song, which looked at an earlier period for comedy.

Edited by WestLothian

This is a wonderful resource for historians like myself who deal with lots of different handwritten sources. Every time I see Spencerian handwriting, I think of the Lord of the Admiralty's song from Gilbert and Sullivan's "HMS Pinafore": "I served the writs with a smile so bland, and I copied all the letters in a big round hand. I copied all the letters with a hand so free, that now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee."

"in a big round hand"...does that possibly refer to English Roundhand rather than Spencerian? I've read that back in the day, Spencerian was very much considered an American hand, and it seems as though there was actually some sort of rivalry between the copperplate styles and Spencerian. I don't know if that is true, but many things I read seem to imply that was the case in those days.