30 replies to this topic

#1 MOVIESTAR

MOVIESTAR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 16:24

This has been my long awaited review on this beauty. I have inked it up and have been using it for a week so here are my thoughts on the Pelikan M600.

Like a well known fountain pen reviewer on Youtube 'I'll tell you what i like, what i dont like and i'll do a writing sample.'

You always hear that pens like Montblanc's are design icons due to their cigar shape pens and their unmissable white star. I do agree Montblanc are very excellent pens, however the price for them is very steep Posted Image and in my opinion you can get pens that write just as good, if not better for half the price.

This is where the Pelikan M600 comes in, it is a very well priced pen for its quality and in my opinion is also a design icon. I will explain why.

As you all know the first impression always counts and it's the same with every aspect in life and the first impression with Pelikan pens is very good. As you know from my Pelikan M200 review i love the packaging of this pen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see the pen was packaged in an old fashion type envelope design with the Pelikan logo as a sort of stamp. I think this packaging is really classy and these attention to details and the overall product design of the packaging alone makes these pens stand out from the crowd before you even take the pen out of the packaging. As i have stated before this is by far the best packaging i have ever seen for any product i have seen and makes the whole experience seem more of a luxury. Almost like opening a Christmas or Birthday present.

Now onto the pen. I was actually surprised again at the weight of this pen. It is quite light but that is not a problem because it is very well balanced pen. The pen fits perfect in the hand and while posted isnt too long. I really like the overall feel of this pen in the hand. Here is my M600 compared to my M200.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see the M600 has a little more girth and and longer than the M200. I find the M600 to be the perfect size pen for everyday use.

This pen is very beautiful and elegant and again like all Pelikan's has a 'Silent' WOW factor. These pens look so classy that it doesnt scream OH LOOK AT ME IM AN EXPENSIVE PEN. This pen does not like to show off, it makes its name in its performance as a writer. This whole wow factor makes this pen so attractive, almost like a woman who does not try too hard to impress a man but lets her natural beauty and personality do the talking.

This is one other thing that makes Pelikan fountain pens so attractive to me and in my opinion make it a design icon due to its uniqueness. Its the clip!

Posted Image

I think this clip is a real beauty. it resembles the beak of a Pelikan and makes it look so beautiful rather than just being a plain clip. Here are some more pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another thing i like about this pen is its barrel. Im not quite sure what material it is but it is very classy. I love the green and black stripes and this pen barrel is also see through so you can tell how much ink is left in this pen, this pen holds quite abit of ink.

Posted Image

Another great feature about Pelikan pens is that they are Piston fillers and their nibs can be removed, this makes it even better as other big brands do not allow the user to remove any part of their pens. The user has to send it off to the company which can be time consuming and quite pricey depending on the company. Unfortunately i cannot remove the nib because i inked it up and forgot to take a picture with the nib out Posted Image

Now on to the star of the whole show, the gorgeous 14k nib Posted Image this is where Pelikan have their highly praised reputation. I thought the M200 nib was very smooth but this nib is BUTTERY SMOOTH i was very shocked when i first wrote with this pen. I inked it up with Pelikan Brilliant Black and the results were excellent. I found this nib less wet than my M200 nib and i also found that the ink would dry quicker compared to the M200 drying time. Which is even better for quick notes and not worrying about turning pages while writing, The overall design of this nib is excellent it looks so elegant and i cannot help but smile and look at it while im writing. This can be a great distraction in class Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the writing sample.

Posted Image

I said i wasn't going to ink this pen up but i just had too and im glad i did. This pen is now my favourite and my everyday writer and i hope whoever gets one or owns one loves it just as much as i do. Overall this pen hands down is 10/10 a true beauty and an exceptional writer. I also purchased a Pelikan pen pouch which i like, however i prefer my Montblanc pen pouch more as it is easier to fit a pen in and out. The material on the Pelikan pouch is not as high quality as the Montblanc one in my opinion but fits the pen in it very nicely and leaves the 'beak' sticking out for you to see Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope you all enjoy my review apologise if it is long but i could talk about this pen all day.

Take Care Posted Image

Posted Image
In the days gone by, people believed that if a person touched an object, that object would form a bond with a part of their soul.
Today such a thought seems almost absurd....Until you enter the realm of Montblanc's master craftsmen.
Montblanc - Soul makers for over 100 years

#2 pakmanpony

pakmanpony

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2012 - 16:27

Wonderful review of a stunning pen! Congrats, hope you always enjoy this great pen!

#3 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2012 - 16:48

I do need to look closer at these, thanks for the review.

#4 MOVIESTAR

MOVIESTAR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 17:02

No problem thanks for commenting guys
In the days gone by, people believed that if a person touched an object, that object would form a bond with a part of their soul.
Today such a thought seems almost absurd....Until you enter the realm of Montblanc's master craftsmen.

#5 fabiorr

fabiorr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2012 - 17:18

Wonderful review! And a really nice touch is that you added photos holding the pen. Many times it´s difficult to get an idea of the pen´s size and pictures like those can be very helpful. Thanks!

#6 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 18:03

Good review. I found the M600 too light for my taste, but it always performed perfectly. If you like the size and such, it is a great choice.

#7 halidak

halidak

El - Fakir

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2012 - 19:08

Congratulations for your new M600. These are indeed very well-made, great looking pens. It was surprising for me with my first M600 to realize how comfortable they are when posted, especially considering I prefer bigger pens and I’m more comfortable writing with M1000 than M800.

Posted Image

I never looked at the case from this angle and I loved this picture. It seems as if the bird’s looking at you desperately to be taken out and start writing on paper again. :lol:

Regards,

Halid

Signature_Istanbul_02_A.jpgSignature_Istanbul_02_B.jpg

#8 CoffeeForDays

CoffeeForDays

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2012 - 19:14

Wow these are some high resolution photos! Thanks for the review. I'm waiting on my souveran black and green m400 right now hehe. So hyped!

#9 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 19:48

nice review and pics!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#10 wkiffin

wkiffin

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:10

Nice Review

#11 terminal

terminal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:22

What I like about your review is how the pictures flow so well with the text it's very natural and fun to read. I really enjoyed it.

So now, which is a better deal, the m600 or the m200?
"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

#12 Pen2009

Pen2009

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:24

Glad to hear you are enjoying an m600. I need to put one of my Pelikans back into my rotation. I find the M600 size is a right balance of writing comfort and portability. I can see myself putting my green o green 600 in my shirt pocket in the future. The size is very similar to my current daily writer Platinum #3776 Celluloid Blue.

But, once you hold the M800 or M1000, you might want to get both of them, like I did. :)
My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

#13 zebra baker

zebra baker

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 16:30

I was hoping to go on a pen-buying moratorium, but your pictures are so wonderful that I am finding myself lusting after a new Pelikan--with the beaky case to boot.

#14 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,442 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 20:13

This is the only one of my modern Pelikans that I like. I presently have it fitted with a 1950s flex EF nib (don'tcha just love how you can interchange modern and vintage nibs like that?) and it's a dream. The size, weight and balance is much more comfortable than the M800s I own...
Too many pens; too little writing.

#15 MOVIESTAR

MOVIESTAR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 00:26

Thank you for all the good comments guys :D

#16 MOVIESTAR

MOVIESTAR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 00:27

What I like about your review is how the pictures flow so well with the text it's very natural and fun to read. I really enjoyed it.

So now, which is a better deal, the m600 or the m200?

I think the M600 by far. This pen for its price will be hard to beat.

#17 rg132012

rg132012

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 16:59

Great review.

#18 bdk

bdk

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 14:35

Excellent review. My compliments for the photography, it seems to suit your beautiful pen! I'm thinking about a pelikan M600 or 800 or1000 as my next pen, and now I've seen your pictures I'm getting more sure that I really want a Pelikan.
(the size is still up for question, I think I need to try them somewhere...)
My website about classical music
Website is in English

#19 akustyk

akustyk

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 19:53

Thank you for this wonderful review! I enjoyed the details you provided. I was really curious to see what you think of this pen, as I recently bought a fine nib for my M800. The broad nib was too broad for me. The fine nib is very nice, smooth, maybe a bit broader than I like, but I decided to learn to love it. It writes perfectly, though.

And, congratulations on your new pen. It looks awesome in that leather case, too!
My pens: Montblanc 146 F, Montblanc 14 F, Montblanc 344 M, Visconti HS M, Aurora 88 Large EF, Pelikan M800 EF, Sailor 1911 Realo M, Omas Paragon EF, Bexley Corona F Stub, Visconti Opera Elements EF, TWSBI Mini EF, Platinum 3776 CI, Sailor 1911M MS.

#20 Dr.Ken

Dr.Ken

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2013 - 18:06

Hi Moviestar - nice review! Ive got a M600 and all your thought agree with mine.

What a lot of Americans might not know is the Pelikan brand - it is like having a little bit of Germany or Grman culture in your pocket. German schoolchildren use fountain pens, Pelikan is a VERY popular brand, and of course the Souverän brand is mainly for the adults. :-)

Had mine for 4+ years now, wrote everyday with it, and nary a scratch.

Have fun!

Ken

#21 rg132012

rg132012

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 16:45

Great review!

#22 Barneystone

Barneystone

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 16:57

I was excited to get a Pelikan M600 for Christmas. Unfortunately it was scratchy! I now have it back from Peter Twydle of the Pen Museum who has done a great job of realigning and smoothing. it writes beautifully now. thanks Peter

Edited by Barneystone, 01 February 2013 - 16:58.

#23 DrCodfish

DrCodfish

neophyte

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2013 - 18:25

A couple additional points for consideraton.

Not only is the Pelican brand classy, it is truly iconic. Many modern pens have the makers name prominently displayed so you will be able to distinguish them from the crowd. Not Pelikan, when you see a Souveran, you know what you are looking at.

The ease of removal of the nib also greatly facilitates cleaning the pen, as well as swapping nibs as mentioned.

Size and heft are personal considerations, I will say for me the M600 is agreat pen to write with.

#24 Mister John

Mister John

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:45

I too am a big fan of the M600. My first Pelikan was a 200, bought from Levelnger about 15 years ago. I then "graduated" to the 800, which I liked but did not love. You'll find the 800 much heavier than the 600 owing to its brass piston mechanism compared to the plastic of the 600. So I got myself a 600 on the goldilocks theory that if the 200 was a bit small and the 800 a bit large, then the 600 would be just right. My 600 is probably my most used pen, with only my pearl and black centennial duofold making a run for the money. The nib, the weight, and the balance are just perfect. Of course, when both mine, long ago, the packaging was not nearly so grand, just a green and black outer box with a blue padded box inside. No lovely envelope.

Update to the present on the 800. When I bought it, I knew next to nothing about tuning fountain pen nibs. I figured it was luck of the draw and I was not especially lucky with that one. It wasn't that the nib was bad, just a bit more feedback than I would have liked. I since discovered the miracle of micro mesh, and a tiny outing with 1200 grade turned that pen into a stellar writer as well. But i still prefer the weight and balance of the 600. One other postscript, you might worry that the plastic piston would not be as durable as its brass sibling. Not so for me. After 12 years and many many refills, my 600 piston still works wonderfully (if not as smoothly) as when I first got it.

#25 bobby

bobby

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:39

I recently purchased a Pelikan M600 (Medium Nib) blue black and have been enjoying writing with it immensely. I however noticed that the choice of ink gets very important here. In the beginning, I filled up the pen with J Herbin Eclat de Saphir and it was simply too wet! (Note: I use Rhodia 80g). I switched to Waterman Black (that was the only other ink I had in my stock) and I noticed significant difference in flow. Much more controlled. Interestingly, however, I am now having occasional false start and possibly minor skipping. I am not sure whether it is the ink or I just did not notice it with J Herban. Could be just strokes at wrong angle. I guess I have to study more. Any suggestions on inks that pair well with M600 Medium? The other thing I am considering is using the 30 day free nib swap to change the M nib to Fine to get a bit narrower line. But, this medium nib is so smooth, I am not getting enough confidence that the nib swap is a good idea. Don't want to end up in a scratchy nib or unknown issues. Any thoughts here? Will a swap for an F nib get me a finer line without sacrificing anything? If not, what is the trade off?

#26 HistoricalMan

HistoricalMan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:46

I adore the M600, and I'm currently switching between an M605 and an M600 Green O' Green as my daily writer. They both have fine nibs, but as is often the case with a Pelikan, they're both wonderfully wet.

Edited by HistoricalMan, 11 February 2013 - 07:46.

#27 Edwaroth

Edwaroth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:17

Thanks for the great review. When my budget allows I have two pens left to complete the collection and one is the M600. The a Caran D'ache Ecridor. For now I will just envy you. Enjoy your new pens!

#28 Edwaroth

Edwaroth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,144 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2013 - 23:00

I pulled the trigger on the Pelikan M600 and cannot wait to receive it! I s'pose it's all your fault for such a great review. Actually, I am buying because the size...I deem M600 to be a perfect size for most people, woman or man. And of course the nibs. Extra-fine for me. Used to have an M400 but found it a tad small. Once more...Great review AND photo's!!!

Edited by Edwaroth, 13 March 2013 - 23:03.

#29 andyhldn

andyhldn

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 22:01

]I too bought this pen--in striped blue--from a reputable pen dealer (Richard Binder). Remorse is my thought.
Expected a pen of this cost and caliper to be one fine writing machine. Smooth was what I was looking for.
Instead it is one of the more scratchy pens I have and I have tried Pelikan ink (as well as others) and many different types of paper.
Everyone of my Lamy's if given a blind test would walk away as the finer pen. I conversed with Richard and he assured me that he had prepped it before it going out.
Where do I stand now? Send it to another nib-meister (it is too late for a refund)? Sell it for a loss?

Don't mean to be so down and I do not wish this review to reflect badly on Richard as I have bought very nice pens
from him. And want to add, that it is indeed a great pen to hold as well as look at.
Just want everyone to know that sometimes one does not get what one pays for.

Andy

#30 ZachWasniak

ZachWasniak

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:10

This review peaked my interest.. Thanks!
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
-John Quincy Adams
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it will get you the right ones."
-John Lennon