Precious Metal Fountain Pen Manufacturers In India

hariharaniyer

Hi

Keen to know if there are any Pen Manufacturer from India who craft custom fountain pens from silver or gold.

i remember seeing in Baroda in 1997, at an old opticians shop at Alkapuri, 2 tarnished silver fountain pens with stones just below the cap (Small Natural Round Coral One had white and other had Red)which he said his grandfather got it custom made for some kings event and this 2 were left out as these were samples.He was keen to offer this for 600 INR at that time,i was at collage at those times and had no interest in fountain pens.Irony is today i only collect sterling silver fountain pen and pencils, and love to write,collect them

But i remember these details clearly bless my memory which sometimes is photographic, on the nib was marked a cursive "M6" FINE G.On one box was written "Calcutta 18" and another was written "Madras 1921. When i asked him why 2 different locations and the cosmetic difference he mentioned that they both were "Samples" prototype and came from two different makers.I did not observe any specific silver markings etc, or might have overlooked them since at that time i did not know about sterling silver markings, stamping etc.

The 2nd time i saw such a cursive "M6" on nib was a local giant black ebony pen in small Delhi curio shop in Chandni Chowk in 2010, he cared to mention that this was from some 1900 old stock and it was not "m6" but "mai" written in tamil as these silver/gold coated nibs were made by a pen company by the name of "Mai" in Madras by an Englishman.Incidentally my horrendous tamil clicked up recalling that "mai" in tamil is ink.

The point of this lengthy recount is a big question "do any of the FP collectors here in India or abroad have similar silver pens or have come across them".These were small 3" pens like the MT&C Sterling Silver Swan Pens with small rings, they did not have clips and did not have feeder bar/levers for sure.

You do get in India silver ballpoint pens if you scout enough, these looks ugly and lack any design or craftsmanship.I did check one and found that this was not pure silver but was crafted over a metal pen base out of commercial silver clay.

Any suggestions, pointer towards the above aspects are welcome and i would be obliged :notworthy1: for any info.I have googled up all aspects being an IT guy and all i could come was "Zilch" except for some post incidentally by one of a FPN forum member "Hari". So i thought of joining the FPN forum to share this post.I hope my extra lengthy 1st post justifies it :P

hariharaniyer

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hariharaniyer

• hari317

• Wolverine1

• cjabbott

Hariharan- Namaste Ji. I live in the US now, and dont know anything about pens made in India out of silver or gold. However, contact our fellow FPN member, Hari. He is very knowlegable, is based in Mumbai, and he might be able to point you in the right direction.

And :W2FPN: !!!!!

Guider has some offerings in precious metal, as does Ratnamson. Here are some links to pictures.

http://www.guiderpen.com/index.html

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103100-ratnamson-42p/

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

Hi Hariharan, :W2FPN:

I have the silver fountain pen from Ratnamson, it is very good, but sadly for me, their prices have gone through the roof, i cannot afford anymore local silver pens.

Best

Hari Iyer

Though I don't keep my last name.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The 2nd time i saw such a cursive "M6" on nib was a local giant black ebony pen in small Delhi curio shop in Chandni Chowk in 2010, he cared to mention that this was from some 1900 old stock and it was not "m6" but "mai" written in tamil as these silver/gold coated nibs were made by a pen company by the name of "Mai" in Madras by an Englishman.Incidentally my horrendous tamil clicked up recalling that "mai" in tamil is ink.

Did you buy the pen, I hope you did.

Mai in Tamil should look like this: மை

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi Hari

:bonk: Regret i didnt.Now iam on hunt for clicking in photos or buying it when iam there at Delhi,but sure it was not in a good condition and was in some kind of woody matt material, not to my liking .Checked in your silver ratnam pens photos, they look lovely for sure.iam keen to know weather the pen that you own from ratnam , are they sterling silver with any stamps, marking etc,and are they over any base or its it cast silver. I will get one crafted ratnam.

Since i only speak tamil and cannot read and write, it was exactly the same as you have written, but it looked like "m6" to the ignorant me. :doh:. This Tamil "m6" was what was there on the "Nib" on all the 3 pens and nowhere on the body, thats the best i can recall from memory.

Any diggin on the "m6" mai pen from you and this forum would be of great help.Once i get time sometime i will share with the forum photos of my limited pen collection mostly sterling silver pen/pencils and a few curio pens.

Keen also to know if any anybody here in india sculpts desk fountain pens made in sandstone,granite,onyx marble,bone or out of pure copper,brass, tungsten etc.I loathe fusion pens where multiple metals, plastic are done in to build a frankinpen, just my personal gripe, so please dont want anybody to take offence.I prefer a clean pen made from clip to barrel to inners except baldder to be of same metal,even fancy a feeder of same metal instead of hardened rubber(Now...thats a fantasy stretched too far :gaah:...so iam onto thinking of crafting a whole pen ...need to learn the art pf penmaking)

NB : So dear all please help this newbie in this forum add to my collection and please please bear up with my weird wishful ideas on pens.

Hariharan, I had never heard of the mai pen before I will have to do some digging up. where are you located presently?

The Ratnamson pens are not hallmarked. You have to believe them, thats all. The pens are made of black Ebonite(hard rubber) and a thick silver sheet/ tube is overlayed over the ebonite core. Various designs are available:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Ratnamson42P/catalog/IMG_4432.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Ratnamson42P/catalog/IMG_4433.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Ratnamson42P/catalog/IMG_6060.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Ratnamson42P/catalog/IMG_6061.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Ratnamson42P/catalog/IMG_6062.jpg

BTW, do you know about Yard O Led? It is a british company that makes fountain pens that are sterling silver from head to foot, except 18k gold for the nib and a plastic feeder.

Best

hari

Yes Hari i own a few Yard-O-Led full sterling silver FP and pencils too. Iam based out of Mumbai and Aurangabad when iam here.Thanks for the all the photos, i will be checking with Ratnam on plain vanilla gold and silver pens with gold nib.Any idea what i should pay them would be helpful PM me.

I was checking with them on miniature pens and they are yet to respond with a few customization's, as iam keen on having the ones with levers for filling.Kinda love the old style like Wahl, Yard-o led, Waterman.

Edited by hariharaniyer

On deeper thought the plain silver pen like your 1st one in the photo looks the best, with the 42 sheaffer triumph kind nib. Is this nib manufactured by them, it sure looks great vintage except for the engraving quality, which they could again electroplate post engraving to smooth-en it up, again my personal viewpoint.

Yes Hari i own a few Yard-O-Led full sterling silver FP and pencils too. Iam based out of Mumbai and Aurangabad when iam here.Thanks for the all the photos, i will be checking with Ratnam on plain vanilla gold and silver pens with gold nib.Any idea what i should pay them would be helpful PM me.

I was checking with them on miniature pens and they are yet to respond with a few customization's, as iam keen on having the ones with levers for filling.Kinda love the old style like Wahl, Yard-o led, Waterman.

AFAIK, they make ONLY ED filled pens. Call them, They will tell you their current prices, the prices have so far been non negotiable, I have tried.

On deeper thought the plain silver pen like your 1st one in the photo looks the best, with the 42 sheaffer triumph kind nib. Is this nib manufactured by them, it sure looks great vintage except for the engraving quality, which they could again electroplate post engraving to smooth-en it up, again my personal viewpoint.

The gold nibs are made by them. Electroplating will not help smooth the nib surface nor help with the engraving quality.

BTW, I have never heard of a vintage non C/C Yard O Led fountain pen(they are pencil makers primarily), if you have one, pls share the pictures with us.