T. Y. Lee’S Pen Shop In Taipei

mchenart

I think we must count ourselves lucky to be living in a city with a number of well stocked B&M stationery and pen shops, and in Taipei, we are doubly blessed with having the T. Y. Lee shop that has become the gathering place of pen lovers, students and literary figures alike. Any time you walked into his old tiny shop in Taipei, you would find people chatting, trying out new toys, sipping tea, or just refusing to leave. For pen users all over Taiwan, we have regarded his shop as THE ultimate destination for all things related to the fountain pen.

Mr. Lee has a big, warm heart that welcomes everybody to try out his pens (most of the time with real ink) or give valuable advice should one requires it. That and the fact that he has the lowest prices on numerous pens, ink, pouches or paper pads in Asia (and probably the world), has secured a legendary status for his little shop. Well, about a month ago, T.Y. Lee moved into his new premises with a well deserved bigger space. Hurrah!

His new shop is located in the Daan district of southern Taipei not too far from his old one, and like his previous premises, the new shop is also on the ground floor of a quiet residential block. In addition to the open shop space, there is also a ‘VIP’ room for discrete conversation, and a lecture room in the basement for future pen talks. Here is a general view of the interior.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/TYLees1.jpg

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/TYLees2.jpg

All major brands are represented here: Pelikan, Waterman, Parker, Montblanc, Sailor, Platinum, Pilot, Visconti, Graf von Faber Castell, Cross, Aurora, and some Taiwanese makes, but the Japanese brands are particularly well stocked. I did not see any Omas pens on display, and that could be due to the lack of distributor for that brand here.

Graf items are prominently displayed in the well-lit cases.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/TYLees3.jpg

Platinum pens are hot items in Taiwan, and T. Y. Lee’s shop has almost their entire catalogue on display, including the special edition urushi duos that were created for the Taiwan market in 2012.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/TYLees5.jpg

This is the place I would go for all my ink needs, for you can probably find the best selection of fountain pen inks in Asia. I see that only Private Reserves, Montegrappa and Omas inks are missing from the lot. He has the entire lines of Pilot, Iroshizuku, Diamine, J. Herbin, De Atramentis, Waterman, Sheaffer, Visconti, Platinum and most Sailor inks. Very impressive.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/TYLees4.jpg

The very lazy and very spoilt shop mascot, Mina, find it too much trouble to cast her gaze on the customers. Lazy dog! Behind her is the Montblanc case of goodies.

I am not related to Mr. Lee in any way, but find myself one very satisfied customer. I would definitely recommend every pen lover to drop by his shop when in town. You will not regret it.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/TYLees6.jpg

T Y Lee's Web link

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mchenart

• Alicae

• ink mixer

• da vinci

Thank you for the tour of the shop: it looks both professional and inviting.

I am torn between being insanely jealous of having such a nice store in your city, and relieved that I don't have such a store to spend large amounts of money at.

gary

Superb, I have interacted with Mr. Lee remotely through a friend in Taiwan, nice to see the pictures of their shop.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Beautiful pen shop. I would be one of those customers who refuse to leave.

Seriously, though -- it's a lovely shop.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I haven't had a chance to visit the new store yet, but I hope to next time I run to Taipei. I always felt guilty taking up space in the old shop where I'd be offered some tea and pens to try out at the counter while other customers, possibly planning to spend much more than I was, had to navigate around me. The new shop seems quite nice. Thanks for sharing!

Robert.

Thank you for posting this review of a fantastic shop. I am always interested in reading about these wonderful places in countries other than the one in which I reside :thumbup:

I will be there when I come back Taiwan next time.

Michael, thank for your introduce.

Never mind the pens I'd go just to pet Mina :rolleyes:

You've got yourself a great place to frequent.

What a lovely shop - I so wish there was a pen store in my neck of the woods. I

think I'd be in it every day.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

Yes myn, Mina is a very sweet labrador. Every time I went to the shop, she would automatically roll over for me to scratch her tummy while placing her her arm over mine as if to say, Don't Stop! She gets a lot of free massages from us and never seems to get tired of it.

In this digital age when many people buy pens or writing paper untried, it is so rewarding to go to a real store and just play with the items before we purchase. The satisfaction lies not just in seeing and feeling the stationery items in the flesh, but also in the human (and animal) interactions which, unfortunately, have become a rarity in this trade.

I think wherever we may live, we should support our local pen shops by patronising them. It is just so much more fun.

For those who have no easy access to a B&M pen shop, I would suggest you to move to Taipei!

I'd love to to visit the shop in Taipei sometime. As for the following question, I'm not sure if I really want to know the answer. Does the owner ship abroad? I was looking on their website and I think I see all the Platinum celluloids, but none of the urushi models. Are the special urushi models still for sale? Thanks.

I got to say, it is really lucy that I have the chance to visit this place recently. Staff won'r bother you if you are just stop by there and ask some question, some time they will give you a cup of tea to let you calm.(?) :ninja:

But, still, Lee's shop like a big super black hole, it will inhale your money or make your subconscious fill by desire of fountain pen. So, it still a place I'll avoid step in if I don't have specific target or lack of money at the moment. :embarrassed_smile:

ink mixer writes:

Does the owner ship abroad? I was looking on their website and I think I see all the Platinum celluloids, but none of the urushi models. Are the special urushi models still for sale? Thanks.

While the two urushi 3776 models are not listed on T.Y.Lee's website, they are still available from his Taiwan Yahoo Auction shop for the 'Buy It Now price' of NT8,500 (around US$284) a piece, not bad for a limited edition of 50 pens each and a list price of 35,000 Japanese yen:

3776 Black Urushi3776 Aka-Tamenuri

Mr. Lee had a short stint employment in the US some twenty years ago. While he can speak and read English, he finds it difficult to write it. He welcomes inquiries from the rest of the world, but he may need some help.

I called Mr. Lee this morning about this situation, and he told me that he would be happy to send pens to most countries. He would add the cost of shipping (either via EMS or International registered mail) to that of the pens and give you the quote. However, he prefers to be paid by credit card. Please write directly to Mr. T. Y. Lee: tylee19@gmail.com or PM me if you need my help.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I forgot to mention when posting the original article was that Mr. Lee had worked with de Atramentis in developing a line of ink specifically for the Taiwanese and greater China markets. He would select a group of noted military, literary and political personalities throughout Chinese history, determine what colour would be appropriate and meaningful for that person, then supply the necessary artwork and accompanying calligraphy to de Atramentis. Although the various inks that were selected were pulled from de Atramentis' existing vast catalogue and not specially formulated for this project, the inks in new clothing soon proved to be a marketing success and a welcome item on many Taiwanese desks.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/TaiwandeAtramentis1.jpg

I can't recall the number of different inks that were produced, but that must have been around 20 or so.

There are three bottles of ink under Sun Yat Sen's name: blue, read and black, that closely reflect the national flag's colours. Deng Xiao Ping ink is in green since, according to Mr. Lee, he was the architect of modern China responsible for the germination of so many things. And the story goes on.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/TaiwandeAtramentis2.jpg

Edited by mchenart

What a wonderful-looking shop, and what a selection! I think my head might explode trying to decide what to buy. Thanks for posting the photos.

• 2 months later...

a definite must-go place. the last time i've been to lee's pen shop was last year, at their old shop. i can't wait for my next trip. thanks for sharing. thumbup.gif

-rudy-

• 1 month later...

Grrr... wish I'd known about this shop when I was in Taipei in April. Looks great. If I ever make it back I'll be sure to drop in... :thumbup:

Too many pens; too little writing.