Rohrer & Klingner Königsblau

mhphoto

I'm finally back! After a dry spell with no new inks I finally got fifteen new ones in. So to start with, here's my review of the gorgeous Rohrer & Klingner Königsblau (gazuntite :ltcapd: ).

FYI, I was apparently so excited to write the review that I forgot to write part of the review. So…

Showthrough: No

Bleedthrough: No

Smear (Dry): No

On to the review!

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/KnigsblauMedium.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/KnigsblauPensUsed.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/KnigsblauObservations.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/KnigsblauComparisons.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/KnigsblauShading.jpg

I highly recommend trying this awesome ink. :thumbup:

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhphoto

• Steffen Larsen

• lgsoltek

• BobR

nice review, Nice ink...looks a bit purple on my screen, but so do some others (like the BSB) so it is likely my screen...

I guess I have to open my bottle now ;)

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Thank you so much for this review! :notworthy1: I was waiting for someone to test out the color before I invested in yet another blue...

I'm currently ordering a sample from the Goulets (they have 20% off ink samples 'til the end of June), so I'm excited to try and see if the color will look similar to yours.

I'll be trying this in my Swan pen as soon as I get it.

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

You have definitely picked one of my favorites! I love the color - less purple than your scan, in my experience - and the name. I love the ink properties. This is just a fantastic blue. I think I use it more than Salix, which I also really like.

Tamara

Thanks guys! And yes, I've been in a constant battle with the scanner in terms of tint.

Thanks so much for the review. This is the first to make me really consider a purchase. While I long ago settled on my black ink (Noodler's OMB), I am in what seems to be an eternal search for the *right* blue. I LOVE the R&K Altgoldgrün. It behaves well and is an awesome, unique color.

This blue looks rich and well-textured, but does it also have a hint of purple that I detect in the photos?

Yes, I really like this ink too. It gives a wonderful dark line in one of my pens which has a very fine nib - not my usual preferred thickness - and I plan to use it in a vintage CS soon. And in the UK, it's a great price as well.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks so much for the review. This is the first to make me really consider a purchase. While I long ago settled on my black ink (Noodler's OMB), I am in what seems to be an eternal search for the *right* blue. I LOVE the R&K Altgoldgrün. It behaves well and is an awesome, unique color.

This blue looks rich and well-textured, but does it also have a hint of purple that I detect in the photos?

The scan appears more purple than the actual ink, to me as well. Excellent ink in any event.

lovely ink and lovely color :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Yeah, sorry about the purple tinge. I work on two computer at two different houses, and the scanner is unfortunately at the house with the laptop with no editing software. I think from now on I'm going to not be so antsy to get these reviews up and color correct them first. It seems to me that the scanner likes giving the paper a slight tinge of whatever the ink's color is. Anywho, thanks for the comments everyone! It is a gorgeous BLUE ink! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a better representation of this ink's sheen:

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/IMG_8130.jpg

• 2 years later...

I am back with "Königsblau" after testing several other blue inks, and I cannot but be happy with it in a Lamy Safari and Fine nib: writes smoothly with just the right amount of resistance to keep you on track, dries quickly with no annoying smudging ....this latter is horrible in for example Monteverde "Blue" and Private Reserve "American Blue" or Diamine "Sargasso Sea".

Another blue ink with little to no trouble is Herbin's "Eclat de Saphir". Sheaffer Skrip Blue. Herbin "Lavender Blue" is perhaps a little pale for some. Parker Quink Blue is quite happy in a Parker 61 with functioning capillary fill system.

If you want a Blue with more "oomph" I suggest Waterman "South Sea Blue" or Diamine "Asa Blue".

Königsblau is my first R&K ink and I love it. R&K is my favourite brand. I like its range of colours and quality, and in China it's much less expensive than PR, Noodler's and Diamine, let alone J. Herbin which is one of the most expensive (after Iroshizuku and DeA*** (sorry I forget what it's called)).

Königsblau is my first R&K ink and I love it. R&K is my favourite brand. I like its range of colours and quality, and in China it's much less expensive than PR, Noodler's and Diamine, let alone J. Herbin which is one of the most expensive (after Iroshizuku and DeA*** (sorry I forget what it's called)).

De Atramentis.

The Rohrer & Klingner inks aren't the most expensive around, although not the cheapest. The Parker and Waterman brands provide good, solid inks and affordable most places, I think.

The black "Leipziger Schwarz" has a cold bluish tint that I find attractive. "Verdigris" is the ink for a dry pen, but must be handled with care elsewhere. "Blau Permanent" dries to a greenish colour I don't quite agree with, much like Waterman's "Mysterious Blue".

De Atramentis.

The Rohrer & Klingner inks aren't the most expensive around, although not the cheapest. The Parker and Waterman brands provide good, solid inks and affordable most places, I think.

The black "Leipziger Schwarz" has a cold bluish tint that I find attractive. "Verdigris" is the ink for a dry pen, but must be handled with care elsewhere. "Blau Permanent" dries to a greenish colour I don't quite agree with, much like Waterman's "Mysterious Blue".

I'm intrigued by Verdigris. I may try it sometime later. I currently own seven R&K's: Königsblau, Smaragdgrün, Salix, Scabiosa, Helianthus, Alt-Goldgrün and Morinda. I love all of them. I'm not into pink or violet so I haven't considered Solferino, Fernambuk, Alt-Bordeaux or Magenta, but I might try out Verdigris and Sepia :)

I'm intrigued by Verdigris. I may try it sometime later. I currently own seven R&K's: Königsblau, Smaragdgrün, Salix, Scabiosa, Helianthus, Alt-Goldgrün and Morinda. I love all of them. I'm not into pink or violet so I haven't considered Solferino, Fernambuk, Alt-Bordeaux or Magenta, but I might try out Verdigris and Sepia :)

I would definitely say that "Leipziger Schwarz" and "Verdigris" along with "Königsblau" and an iron gall are inks belonging in any collection. Good to perfect inks for any eventuality. I have stared at the more exotic ones - "Alt-Goldgrün" and such - but I fear they'll be used only too rarely.

I have some on order and look forward to using this. With will come Alt Bordeaux, Sepia and Verdigris. I have the R&K iron galls and Alt Goldgrun already. They really do make quite special inks.