Frankenpen Rising

Scrawler

I have been experimenting with old dead and hard luck pens, and dip pen nibs. Some time ago I posted my Wearever Imperial

Last year Raven Moon sent me a handful of "hard luck" pens to experiment with and learn on. So far I have rebuilt and passed on four of them. Then liz4tin found an old box of dip pen nibs and sent me a handful to experiment with, so I took one of the hard luck pens and matched it to one of Liz's Peerless Golden Series 220 nibs, and this is the result.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/FPWriter/RFP1.jpg

This pen is a Remington of the mid 1930's. They were considered low end 3rd tier pens. They used the name Remington to create an impression of quality by association with the popular firearms of the time. It is a syringe filler. These pens were not designed to be easily repairable, with the pieces glued together to seal ink into the syringe body. The rubber grommet was long ago rotted and useless. When I was looking for a replacement, being a syringe, I immediately looked at my collection (I have lots from medical necessity). I found a 5 ml syringe with a plunger that almost fit, so I used epoxy resin to build up the pen plunger and fixed the 5ml syringe rubber to it. I then carefully abraded the rubber to an exact fit. The clear ink reservoir was then glued back in place with shellac. I did not open up the feed to make this an extra wet pen, as I did with the Wearever, because spiv complained at the last pen posse that I made all my pens too wet. That means that with the vast amount of ink this pen holds, one filling will last a very long time. Unfortunately this is my last feed that is large enough for these experiments, so I shall soon be begging for old feeds and plain pieces of hard rubber stock to make more. Especially as some of the nibs that Liz sent me are very challenging shapes.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• 79spitfire

• RodneyOK

• Ravenmoon

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SClmiso_2Y

Is that your nib or are you just happy to see me?

:ltcapd:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

Scrawler, you inspired me. The Baoer seemed like the perfect candidate for a bit of amateur surgery. I present to you, "Son of Frankenpen"!

post-82579-0-88726000-1339873618.jpg

post-82579-0-26779300-1339873609.jpg

- Rod

<snip>

Is that your nib or are you just happy to see me?

:ltcapd:

I like a big nib. I have a truly enormous one looking for a home, just as soon as I can get the material to make a new feed from.

Scrawler, you inspired me. The Baoer seemed like the perfect candidate for a bit of amateur surgery. I present to you, "Son of Frankenpen"!

<snip>

That is magnificent. Did you have to rework the feed for it? I cannot quite make out what kind of nib it is.

1339876189[/url]' post='2376483']
1339873676[/url]' post='2376452']

<snip>

That is magnificent. Did you have to rework the feed for it? I cannot quite make out what kind of nib it is.

I actually reshaped the curve of the nib a bit to fit the feed. The nib just says "Technical Supply Company". It's fun to play around with. Thank you for the idea! thumbup.gif

- Rod

I have been experimenting with old dead and hard luck pens, and dip pen nibs. Some time ago I posted my Wearever Imperial

Last year Raven Moon sent me a handful of "hard luck" pens to experiment with and learn on. So far I have rebuilt and passed on four of them. Then liz4tin found an old box of dip pen nibs and sent me a handful to experiment with, so I took one of the hard luck pens and matched it to one of Liz's Peerless Golden Series 220 nibs, and this is the result....

Wonderful! I think you've far surpassed even my most ambitious imaginings of pen repair. I am really thrilled to see some of these lovely pens being reborn. Thanks so much for sharing this, and keep up the good work!

Last year Raven Moon sent me a handful of "hard luck" pens to experiment with and learn on. So far I have rebuilt and passed on four of them. Then liz4tin found an old box of dip pen nibs and sent me a handful to experiment with, so I took one of the hard luck pens and matched it to one of Liz's Peerless Golden Series 220 nibs, and this is the result....

Wonderful! I think you've far surpassed even my most ambitious imaginings of pen repair. I am really thrilled to see some of these lovely pens being reborn. Thanks so much for sharing this, and keep up the good work!

It is a shame I did not think to brag about what I had been up to before, and take pictures of the green Du Van after I fixed it. It took a huge size 22 sac and polished up beautifully. I gave it to a lady, who obviously coveted a large pen.

IIRC the only problem with this is they dip pen nibs have a limited lifespan, due to the fact they are mild steel and have no tipping. While they last, they rock!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

IIRC the only problem with this is they dip pen nibs have a limited lifespan, due to the fact they are mild steel and have no tipping. While they last, they rock!

They are made of high carbon spring steel usually. They do wear out quite quickly, and not just from wear, some inks will also attack them, so you need a handful. The upside is that once you have done the feed and section mods, it is just a matter of slipping a new one in. The reworking does not need to be done each time. I would very much like to get an Imperial gold plated and tipped, but I expect that for the price of doing that I could probably buy a Waterman #7.