Diamine Eau De Nil

DanielCoffey

INK : DIAMINE EAU DE NIL

PAPER : RHODIA #16 A5 white lined

PEN : Onoto Magna 261 Medium nib tweaked for wet flow by John Sorowka (Oxonian).

Scanner : IT8-calibrated Epson V600 flatbed

Colour Space : Adobe RGB

Matte : 50% grey and 100% white

Post-process : Unsharp Mask

Diamine Eau De Nil is a moderately saturated mid-blue/green/turquoise with shading potential...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewEauDeNil.jpg

Here is a close-up of the swab...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewEauDeNilSwab.jpg

And a close-up of the shading. Shading with this ink is good on smooth papers but subdued on copy paper...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewEauDeNilShade.jpg

Unusually for a Diamine, this ink is actually usefully water-resistant. While a fair amount of the blue will be released by the water, the dusty lines of the grid below means that anything that gets a serious soaking will still be visible to salvage when blotted and dried...

http://www.dcoffey.co.uk/images/fountainpennetwork/ReviewEauDeNilWater.jpg

DRYING TIMES : The writing tests above were done in a VERY wet medium nib that had just been cleaned. Drying times on Xerox 90gsm were in the order of 10s. Rhodia and G Lalo Vergé dried around 30s and Clairefontaine Triomphe took a good 45s.

SMEARING : None observed.

BLEEDTHROUGH : Some bleed through may be expected on copy papers with wet or fat nibs. I would not expect bleeding on dry or fine nibs or when the ink is used on a good quality paper. Given the wet nib I used above, I recorded the following... Xerox 90gsm had moderate bleed through and some feathering. Rhodia had no bleed through and no feathering. Clairefontaine Triomphe had no bleed through or feathering. G Lalo Vergé had no bleed through or feathering.

FLOW AND LUBRICATION : Flow for this ink seems to be high. I suspect even a dry fine nib will put down a very good line. Lubrication was excellent and meant that this ink gave a good writing experience with a nice tight line.

CLEANING : The ink did not stick to the insides of the converter and was easy to clean. A bulb syringe will be useful here. There was no staining observed.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DanielCoffey

• The Good Captain

• MrClegg

• goldiesdad

Another nice review. Although not in my favourite colour range, the water resistance is an interesting feature.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

It shows the same dark-blue circle on a kitchen-paper drip-test as the others that left traces of the grid too. There must be one dye that Diamine use that is more stubborn with water than others and Eau de Nil has a fair squirt of it.

When I tried EdN I thought it was almost too wet to use in almost all my pens, in my driest writing pen I still think it's too wet. If you like a wet ink this could be for you if you prefer a little less ink on the page I'd avoid it unless the colour sings to you.

Daniel I've noticed a few of these recent Diamine new colour reviews you've done say the inks are quite wet do you think the new range are generally a bit wetter than the older inks? I'd be interested to see if it's a change Diamine are making to their formulas or if it's just the newer one(s).

Craig

"Those Who Know What's Best For Us, Must Rise And Save Us From Ourselves."

Witch Hunt - Neil Peart

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Thanks for your review, Daniel. Your mentioning Eau de Nil's slight similarity to Teal prompted me to look up your review of the latter from a few months ago. In it you don't mention whether Teal is at all water resistant. Could you perhaps comment on how, in your experience, it compares to Eau de Nil in that category?

Mr Clegg - I have found that the majority of the new Diamines are smoother to write with than the older ranges... more lubrication. I wonder if this is also manifesting in the wetness of the ink somehow? My Onoto is set up for wet flow intentionally and I am finding with these new Diamines I can write fast, smoothly and without skipping. It is a nice experience, even on Laid paper!

asdf - I didn't check any of the older inks for water resistance I am afraid. I only started doing that with the new ones since there were fewer reviews. I had a clearout when I got the new samples and let all my older inks go through the PIF and to a local FPN member who collected the bottled ones. I am afraid the Teal 30ml sample I had is now in Pakistan and out of my reach. I know folks like Sandy1 always do a water test so you may have to look up other reviews.

*tries to pretend to look guilty and fails*

Oh... my bad!

(which is an expression I hate... the in-built Grammar-Fairy keeps wanting to add "Your bad what?")

Thanks for these reviews! I've ordered samples of Eau de Nil, Misty Blue, Sargasso Sea, and Bilberry. I'm most excited about Eau de Nil. It looks like a bluer version of Iroshizuku Syo-ro and a lighter version of Ku-jaku. I'm looking forward to comparing them.

Thanks for these reviews! I've ordered samples of Eau de Nil, Misty Blue, Sargasso Sea, and Bilberry. I'm most excited about Eau de Nil. It looks like a bluer version of Iroshizuku Syo-ro and a lighter version of Ku-jaku. I'm looking forward to comparing them.

Eau de Nil is very similar to Ku-jaku, in my opinion, but I find Eau de Nil more subdued and flatter. At least with a medium nib. But it's a still a very nice ink and a good value. I like it.