Top Posters In This Topic

• bphollin

• hari317

• dannzeman

• tempo

No ink window = Nope :angry:

Remember the Schrödinger's cat?

The pen is BOTH full AND empty!

No ink window => no communication between in and out => no information travel path => fundamental quantum uncertainty => AAAHHhhhhhhh :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

The lack of window will split the pen into infinite numbers of universes each have a different ink amount~~~~

/end of joking... :meow:

Hi,

If it was like an Aurora with the Riserva Magica, it would be more acceptable to not have an ink view window because I would have warning before the pen ran out of ink, but if this shares the same piston mechanism as the original 2000, that would be a bit of a problem. I would have to take a backup with me all the time. Personally though, I would like to see how this pen is constructed. I would imagine that it shares a good number of parts with the original 2000.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Here's a quick photo comparison. I'm catching up on work due to family illness. When I am up to speed, look for a full comparison review. "2012 edition" refers to the new version; 2000 Edition refers to the millennium edition released in 2000.

Initial impressions:

- 2012 edition is *very* similar to the 2000 Edition. If you want a stainless steel Lamy 2000 but don't want to pay the going rate for the 2000 Edition, this is your pen.

-2012 edition feels heavier than 2000 Edition

-2012 edition has the "ears" recessed into the pen body. The standard issue and 2000 Edition have the ears recessed into the section. See last photo.

-Slight differences in section construction, but otherwise the construction feels about the same.

-Capping feels a bit rough on the 2012 edition vs. standard edition and 2000 Edition.

-The finish is a bit more polished on the 2012 edition. The 2000 Edition more closely resembles the finish of the standard Makrolon finish, in my opinion.

Boxes. 2000 Edition on left, 2012 edition on right.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7126/7677878444_4c3039cddd_z.jpg

Can you guess which is which?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/7677876526_b0cdf9e6d0_z.jpg

Lamy 2000 Edition on bottom/left, 2012 edition on top/right

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8158/7677877746_a0bc93147f_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7135/7677875770_a8ce25066d_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7677874964_a05897280b_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8167/7677874178_963256c77d_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/7677872788_64e6cd1886_z.jpg

Hey, a quick question for you: does the 2000 Edition have an ink window in the black bit? It doesn't appear to.

Wow, the windowless one is beautiful. It must be even more glorious IRL. Would I get one if I had $300? Even if there's no window?

Hmmmm....

The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory - Chinese proverb

Dioxazine Letter Tracker

Ack, the whole ink window thing is ridiculous. The window on the normal 2K is useless anyway rolleyes.gif

More of an issue is the overinflated price, and the complete reversal of the proprietary minimalist and inconspicuous design ethic. This is an extension of the blingy look Lamy has started to shift towards ever since it came out with the eye-searingly shiny Studio Pt (Platinum coat)...

I'm clutching onto my "normal" 2K for dear life. It's one heck of a pen.

Jack.

Edited by Ytland

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR

Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

logo%2520resize.jpg

More of an issue is the overinflated price,...

How do you know it's overinflated? I would love for someone to show me numbers in relation to the manufacturing costs between the Makrolon 2000 and this new one to justify these types of statements. For all we really know, Lamy's profit per pen could be greater on the Makrolon 2000. I'm guessing their manufacturing process has become pretty efficient (read cost saving) since they've only been producing the pen for 50 some odd years.

...and the complete reversal of the proprietary minimalist and inconspicuous design ethic. This is an extension of the blingy look Lamy has started to shift towards ever since it came out with the eye-searingly shiny Studio Pt (Platinum coat)...

Lamy says they design each pen using the Bauhaus principle of form follows function. I don't see anywhere where the new SS version deviates from that. It's just as minimalistic as the Makrolon 2000. Looking at some of the other functional techniques of the Bauhaus principle:

• Simpicity
  • Symmetry
  • Angularity
  • Abstraction
  • Consistency
  • Unity
  • Organization
  • Economy
  • Subtlety
  • Continuity
  • Regularity
  • Sharpness
  • Monochomaticity

One could argue the new SS version is a better example of a Bauhaus design in its consistency, unity, continuity, and monochomaticity. While the SS isn't as subtle as the Makrolon, it's brushed finish is definitely less offensive than that shiny platinum coating.

Nope, I'll get one but I'll wait. I love mine, but no rush to get another and I'll likely get the XF, I have a fine and it writes pretty wide, so I'll get the XF, but try it first at one of the few B&M stores I go to as I know they can be scratchy and hit or miss as to the quality of the nib.

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

Er....

I think what they mean by "overinflated price" is that the pen is just too expensive.

For example, I can buy a new 2012, durable, light weight Thermos stainless steel water bottle of top/equal workmanship for only 15 dollar from a large outdoor chain that don't give discounts at all.

And you are trying to sell me a pen for 20 times the price which is already discounted?

And, by "and the complete reversal of the proprietary minimalist and inconspicuous design ethic"

They are really saying "Lamy is no longer one of us"

They are now amount the giants like MontBlanc :ltcapd:

:embarrassed_smile:

-----

But then.... with the stock market going up and down 300 points every week, there will be millions of people that's making lots of money out of thin air every day.... I always say, no matter how much you make, as long as other people are making more, you will be losing.

And it's a pen, it will just go against my tax amount as a business expenses..... :ltcapd:

And so on........

Go hiding now :ninja:

Edited by tempo

BTW, all watches from Seiko, Citizen, to Rolex to Vacheron Constantin, has been continuously up their prices for more than two years now....

Some watches go up 10% every 3 or 6 month.....

Some watches used to have as much as 40% discount, now less then 5%......

What used to be 8000 is now 15000 and there is a 8 month line up to buy one. :blink:

So, yes, pens will continue to go up unless 1) we have another economy crisis, 2) pens go out of fashion.

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

But don't worry... The heroic Chinese people will copy the SS 2000 for about 50 dollar. We will raise up to fight this evil :P :P

Hi,

Your Thermos water bottle is extruded, which is a bit cheaper than machining a Lamy 2000M out of stainless steel. Stainless steel is a bit more difficult to machine. $300 is about as much as I would expect a product such as the Lamy 2000M machined and finished from stainless steel to cost.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Won't get one...just too expensive. I like the original version just fine!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Hi all, just got back from pen shop.

The Lamy 2000 SS is already in stock in CANADA :thumbup: ,

Listed as 398 Canadian dollar. with sale tax extra of course :glare: .

Just let the Canadian here know you can go see/buy the real thing now :happyberet:

Hi,

I'll wait by the classifieds. Maybe I can get one, take it apart, and shoot a lot of macro pictures comparing it internally to the old version and go from there.

Dillon

Dillon

Hi,

Your Thermos water bottle is extruded, which is a bit cheaper than machining a Lamy 2000M out of stainless steel. Stainless steel is a bit more difficult to machine. $300 is about as much as I would expect a product such as the Lamy 2000M machined and finished from stainless steel to cost.

Dillon

You have a point, but if you think $300 is about right for the 2000M, then how does Lamy pull off the stainless steel Studio for $60? There's not $240 worth of difference where material and machining are concerned.

Edited by fourseamer