Monblanc Meisterstuck Diamond

Bigeddie

Having just got a hold of the new Monblanc Meisterstuck Diamond ink and seeing there is not yet a review, (and as it's the Diamond Jubilee today) I have taken on the job. This is my first ink review, all constructive criticism welcome. :) My scanner was cheap when I bought it about 7 years ago, as such some of the images are a little ropey, that said the colour appears to be pretty close to true.

Starting point

With one or two exceptions I am a fan of the current MB ink range; personal favourites are Royal Blue and Midnight Blue, so I was excited when the new Montblanc LE ink was announced, it being a blue. I missed out on the Ink of Friendship, and determined not to make the same mistake twice I have bought 3 bottles of Diamond. Availability seems to be filtering through, the boutique in Birmingham (UK) had plenty of stock.

Packaging

My flatmate has borrowed my camera. Because of this you will have to make do with photos of MB Hitchcock and Ink of Joy (on the left) which have the same bottle as the new Diamond, compared with the standard bottle of Royal Blue in the middle. The bottle is quite functional when compared to the Herbin bottles (pictured right, which cause me great annoyance), the small Montblanc bottles have no sediment collector but are nice and deep, with a wide neck.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7070/6863503337_0770c4000a.jpg

Montblanc ink bottles by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

The colour

It's quite unlike anything in the current MB line up. Pictured are swabs of Royal and Midnight Blue along with Waterman Florida Blue for comparison. It strikes me as more like a lighter Iroshizuku Tuski-Yo (which I have run out of) than any of those pictured, it's sort of a darker turquoise.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7231/7326433840_22577ae2d0.jpg

Swabs by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Writing samples

Rhodia 90gsm Bloc pad

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/7326394450_a4ed9e398f.jpg

R f by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Close up

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7073/7326395158_0f06989fbd.jpg

R c by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Original Crown Mill 100% Cotton

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8155/7326402276_bf42e8141b.jpg

OCM f by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Close up

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7217/7326402906_462e0ed2fd.jpg

OCM c by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Conqueror Wove 90gsm Brilliant White

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7076/7326410284_c16a1e6151.jpg

CW f by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Close up

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7091/7326403392_03ce706687.jpg

CWc by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Conqueror Bamboo 100gsm Cream

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7104/7326419020_112aea4ce5.jpg

CB f by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Close up

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8157/7326411376_b7a2c2caf7.jpg

CBc by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

Performance

The ink is of moderate flow and performs well on all papers sampled. Shading is moderate to good on all papers sampled, surprisingly even on the OCM 100% cotton which tends to act like a bit of a sponge to most inks, as to be expected the shading is much better on the harder paper (Rhodia). Lubrication is good but unremarkable. Written samples show no feathering or bleed.

I have not tried a proper test on more budget paper, on 80gsm HP it has quite a lot of show through, little feathering, but no bleed.

There is a degree of water resistance, but waterproof it is not.

Current Price

Purchased in the UK for £11.20 for 30ml, double the price of a J Herbin 30ml bottle, or the same price but half the size of a standard MB ink. It's not cheap, but not extortionate either.

Opinion

I quite like it. The colour and performance are good, but it may not make it as a daily writer because of the limited run and higher than usual price. It's enjoyable and I look forward to using it.

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigeddie

• inky

• BrandonA

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

I am giving this review 5 stars. ***** by Bigeddie.

Thanks for answering questions I was likely to ask in advance of knowing this new ink was even on the market.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Thanks for this review - I like the colour but think I will wait for another more exciting one to catch my eye.

You can't have too many fountain pens.....

That is an outstanding first review! You gave a wide variety of presentations, closeups to demonstrate the shading, lack of feathering, and covered the most important things that people would want to know. Really nice job, and another quality looking MB ink.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

It reminds me of Diamine Prussian Blue. The colour that is, not the price.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

very nice review, i just got my ink but have not loaded yet but the bottle is nice

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

Thanks for the review!

It reminds me of R&K Blau Permanent, with the MB perhaps a touch more turquoise.

Thanks for the review!

It reminds me of R&K Blau Permanent, with the MB perhaps a touch more turquoise.

That's an interesting thought...

fpn_1331227313__rk_blau_permanent.jpg

And my other comment...

fpn_1337810657__diamine_prussian_blue.jpg

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Nice ink thank you for the review.

The colour looks almost like a Turquoise version of a Blue Black.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

:clap1:

Bravo!

:clap1:_:clap1:

Bravo!! Bravo!!

:clap1: :bunny01: :clap1:

BRAVO!

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Bravo!

Bravo!! Bravo!!

BRAVO!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone; I'm sure people will understand that this one means a lot :notworthy1:

As tempted as I was to go for a few different nibs I already had 8 or so pens inked. How to the regular reviewers deal with this? Do you ink them and run them dry for other purposes, or use for the review and flush?

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Thanks Eddie for that wonderful review, but now I will have to get myself a bottle or two of what appears to be some incredibly fine blue ink.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Thanks Eddie for that wonderful review, but now I will have to get myself a bottle or two of what appears to be some incredibly fine blue ink.

Well, I just came back from the nearest Montblanc Boutique and they have not heard of this ink and said it might be a special country specific ink. Anyone else beside me having trouble finding it other than in the UK?

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

Well, I just came back from the nearest Montblanc Boutique and they have not heard of this ink and said it might be a special country specific ink. Anyone else beside me having trouble finding it other than in the UK?

Hmm that's odd. There is more news on availability including the US market in this thread. I know with some Montblanc LEs it takes a while to filter through, but it should be at any boutique they might have a Diamond Meisterstuck. If it was a regional ink, to my (limited) knowledge that might be the first.

If it helps you track it down the ident number seems to be 109090.

Let us know how you get on!

Edited by Bigeddie

Bravo!

Bravo!! Bravo!!

BRAVO!

Thanks for the kind comments everyone; I'm sure people will understand that this one means a lot :notworthy1:

As tempted as I was to go for a few different nibs I already had 8 or so pens inked. How to the regular reviewers deal with this? Do you ink them and run them dry for other purposes, or use for the review and flush?

Hi,

I have samples from all my pens, so assemble a group of fairly common pens to encompass a range of characteristics; sometimes adding a pen with a flexi nib for a cameo appearance. As my reviews are also intended to be useful for comparing inks of a similar colour, some pens are used for all reviews of such inks.

The written samples are generated with freshly charged pens, on a pen-by-pen basis, noting the writing experience with each pen+paper combo.

Unless I anticipate using a given pen within a day or two, the pen is cleansed, (noting the clean-up characteristics), then returned for some R&R with the other pens.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I like the look of this one. I was trying to find an analog in my collection, and I don't think I have one.

My Blog: Inkdependence!

I like the look of this one. I was trying to find an analog in my collection, and I don't think I have one.

Yea, it's different in colour to anything I have. It's growing on me.

It is certainly more blue than Prussian Blue, I'll try to upload a scan later.

Oooh, I like that ink. Maybe it appeals as Diamine Prussian Blue is a favourite of mine.