My Pelikan M600 Fell Apart!

drgoretex

So last fall I bought myself a Pelikan M600, which I love. But, today as I was turning the piston knob, the whole knob came off, and the plunger mechanism came out. Nothing appears to be broken, but I can't fix the mechanism back in the barrel, as when I try to twist the knob to push down the piston, the whole assembly just unscrew out of the barrel.

Any thoughts? Is the assembly normally cemented in place?

Ken

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drgoretex

• OnTheBayou

• Tom Aquinas

• Gloucesterman

I sent mine to chartpak as well when this happened to my pen. They blamed the problem on non-Pelikan ink.

It happened to one of my friends down here, a 600 as well. It was fixed up by Pelikan. As regards using non pen brand ink, one wonders how consumer protection laws particularly in regard to any possible restrictive trade practice would view such a claim ?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as suggested, I contacted Chartpak, and shipped my M600 out to them. I was advised of a potential wait time of up to 6 weeks after arrival (8 weeks including time for shipping to Chartpak)....

But - the pen turned around, fully repaired, and back to me in less than three weeks, along with some most excellent tips on care and maintenance! Thank you, Chartpak!!

Service like this makes me want to buy even more Pelikans! Not that I really need any more...but 'need' is a rather subjective word, isn't it...

Ken

Edited by drgoretex

And what were the tips on care and maintenance, please.

I also have a 600 with an XF nib. No problems at this point but I do not use it a great deal.

Maintaining my pens in optimum condition is important.

Thanks for any assistance.

Sid

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I sent mine to chartpak as well when this happened to my pen. They blamed the problem on non-Pelikan ink.

The problem has nothing to do with using other ink brands, the axial fixation of the piston housingin the barrel is effectively weak.

Avoiding the problem re-occurs, one should simply avoid turning the filling knob any further once the piston backs-up against the section.

Just my 2 Euro cents....

Francis

Edited by fountainbel

I have had several Pelikans in the M200-M400-M600 group and never had this happen, probably because I always turn the piston knob gently and stop turning when I feel the piston come to the stop in either direction. I think you would be well advised to work these pens gently, with finesse.

I bought an ebay M250 where the piston assembly had come out of the barrel, because I wanted the nib for another pen. With fountainbel's help I was able to reassemble the M250. This left me with the opinion that there is nothing to these pens, that they are designed to be cheap, and MEGA overpriced. For the money they charge for these low-end pens the pen should have a brass piston. The plastic piston does make the pen lightweight, but Pelikan could do better for the money. They probably have a great retirement plan--for the owners.

I like using these pens, but use great care when turning the piston. I can't imagine how totally steamed I will be if the piston assembly goes south on my Polar Lights.

When dealing with Chartpak, ALWAYS tell them you bought the pen new, and ALWAYS tell them you only use Pelikan ink, yup, yup, yup.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Hmm!

Perhaps the old adage "they just don't make them like they used to" is appropriate.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png