Different Nibs On Twsbi Vac

linux3214

Like the title says, has anyone attempted to fit another nib into the Vac 700? I'm especially interested in the possibility of Pelikan nibs being fitted and making this wonderfully designed pen into a perfect grail pen for a fraction of the price of say a Pelikan 800 or even 1000.

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• linux3214

• phisgr

• hanryy

• CaptainGroovy

I know that the 530's could be fitted with the Pelikan nibs, but seeing how the vac 700s have a larger nib I doubt the same Pelikan nibs would fit. I do not own a Vac 700 however so maybe someone who does could share some more light. I would also be very interested in seeing if one could be fit with a gold nib...

Tried emailing the people at Bock and they said that they only source in bulk and not to individuals. Bumer but I'm waiting for confirmation with specific nibs that hopefully I could find on the cheap on the Bay. Something soft and cushiony and best of all vintage slick would do nicely

I provide link just to let you check what model is your TWSBI nib. I asked before and know they do not sell to individuals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LABAN-Fountain-Pen-Iridium-Point-Nib-F-Body-Type-5-/130432854612

I searched Bock nibs on ebay and found it. It MAY fit, you can ask for details of dimensions and compare it with your Vac 700 nib. They are quite likely to have the same performance, though.

Googling "laban gold nib" gives me this

http://www.executivepensdirect.com/index.php/laban-fountain-pen-nibs-c-57_79_80

The gold nibs may fit, but once again, I cannot be sure. Don't kill me if you bought one and found it incompatible. :bunny01:

The Bulow nibs fit, Jinhao nibs from an X 750 fits. Noodler Ahab nibs (and probably Konrad fit). I currently have a Knox K35 in my Vac 700.

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

That would add to overall pen utility being able to swap parts.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

The Vac 700 already uses a Bock nib, so you would probably have to source a gold nib to improve on the stock. From what I gather, you would be looking for a solid gold #6 nib. A Meister of that size should fit if the others mentioned do (don't hold me to that), and will set you back around $135. or so, if memory serves. I believe the Meister site states the the gold nibs tend to write a little wetter than the steel. I don't know how soft or springy they are.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Probably, if you put a soft or semi-flex nib into your vac700, you'll need enlarge the feed channel, or it'll skip like crazy. As we know, Vac 700 feed is pretty dry!

I wouldn't call my 700 dry by any means. All I did was to open up the nib slit a hair by squeezing the nib shoulders a bit, as Speedy shows in his video. Be sure you have the ink shut-off valve open far enough to keep up the ink flow. Mine is a nice, wet, generous medium writer and I have no reason to want another nib in it.

My Konrad, on the other hand, now sports a Bock #6 stainless nib, and has become a great "toss it on the desk" pen to leave at work. I think it is great that so many vendors now carry reasonably priced steel nibs for us to swap into other pens. Now, if we had a substitution chart for feeds, then I could perhaps repair more of my modern c/c pens that have erratic feeding problems. (Currently I hack the feed with dental picks, but it would be great to be able to just replace a feed.)

Now that I think about it a little more, the M800 and M1000 pelikan nibs are larger sized ones as well. Does anyone know if these would fit into the Vac 700s? If so that would be an excellent option for a replacement.

Like SteveE my vac seems to be very wet after spreading the tines like Speedy shows in his video and since then its been like a dream. Though the surface tension of a few inks make it impossible to write long term without shaking. I'll try a Jinhao 750 nib for fun; fun fact but the 750 is actually my first pen

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Vac700 will be getting a 1.1 or 1.5 stub option?

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Does anyone know if any of the Nibmiesters are working on these 700's yet?

Like Pendleton or Binder ?

I hung out with several people from the Triad pen group at Pendleton's table on Saturday at the Raleigh show. He indicated the first 700 nib he worked on took 4 hours and that subsequent work has gotten the time down to an hour. He seemed to be expressing that the nibs are just too thick -- they could be a fraction of the current thickness and would then be more malleable. He also seemed to use the word "manhandle" or something sort of similar to describe how he works them at the moment.

I have a feeling if I get more 700s and want work done on them I may propose to him trying to customize Knox nibs. I like the Knox nibs so far.

One of the FPGeeks I think installed a Visconti 1.3 italic palladium nib into his 700. I drool when thinking of such a thing.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an Edison #6 JoWo nib on mine, and it works great. That also means that the Bexley branded #6 nibs would work as well.

I have a couple of dumb questions:

1. Where is this video that a couple of people have mentioned? I want my 700 to be wetter. It writes well, but a little drier than I want.

2. How do you remove the nib and feed? I thought they were kinda fixed in these removable section pens.

My Blog: Inkdependence!