Lamy Safari Colours

macthemaths

I would love to get a matte white Safari with a black clip... Anyone has seen one on the net?

:crybaby:

That would be the Alpin, an early pen, and one of the more difficult to find.

IMHO I think the Alpin has shiny white barrel, right? It was availble with matte barrel?

Oh no, one more target :(

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hans-Peter Ording

• bphollin

• menick

• Uffuffa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would love to get a matte white Safari with a black clip... Anyone has seen one on the net?

:crybaby:

IMHO I think the Alpin has shiny white barrel, right? It was availble with matte barrel?

Oh no, one more target :(

no, no, no, my day for errors I think. blush.gif I just looked Alpin is not matte.

wishful thinking - wouldn't it be nice to have a series in matte?

Indeed... I miss so much the matte finish and black clips that I would love to own a replacement, mine was stollen a long time ago!

I guess I'll have to visit some BM little stores to see if I could find anything...

Sorry, another question on the red NK pen. Is the top of the cap a red dot, a red cross/plus sign/x, or a black cross? I ask because Rakuten in Japan had a run of Safaris with red clips, and I wonder if the NK pen is the same.

• Charcoal black pen, red clip, black cross
  • Red pen, red clip, black cross
  • Yellow pen, red clip, black cross

Images hotlinked from Rakuten:

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/kyotobunguya/cabinet/lamy/red-clip1.jpg

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/kyotobunguya/cabinet/lamy/red-clip2.jpg

Link: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kyotobunguya/item/safari-redclip/

I actually spoke to the former manager of the NK stationary department today about the Safaris from NK, and I'm not surprised that those pens appeared in Japan.

Apparently, a japanese school ordered 600 Lamy Safaris via NK, two-hundred of the three colors in your post, that is black, yellow and red with red clips. But as the order arrived to NK the school backed out. Left with six-hundred pens in front of them, NK began to sell them.

And here's the interesting part; to sell Lamy products that differ from their standard catalog on the open market is not allowed by the company - there's no "law" against it, it's probably just a policy - the only alterations that are allowed are those made by Lamy itself for such things as company orders and the like. But Lamy let NK sell them anyway this time to cover their loses.

But the ones in NK do not feature the cross on top. In fact, they all have a little circle that is red on top no matter which one of the three colors. Still, I think it's a strange coincidence, and perhaps the Safaris are linked in some way. Who knows.

About the MATTE Alpin that Coppilcus mentioned. Alpin Safaris were definitely manufactured with a matte/textured finish (like the current charcoal texture) but they are VERY difficult to find. The smooth Alpin are reasonably common. I don't have any official figures but I would suggest that the top five rarest RUNS of Safari fountain pens were probably: 1) Textured Alpin, 2) Original Demonstrator, 3) Swedish blue with yellow clip, 4) Taiwan shiny black with red clip, 5) Japan serial NUMBERED white with red clip and matching leather case. Unless of course the SMOOTH terracotta/savanna/charcoal truly existed... And I don't know how many of the Rakuten red clips were produced either...

Happy hunting! ;)

Edited by Uffuffa

About the MATTE Alpin that Coppilcus mentioned. Alpin Safaris were definitely manufactured with a matte/textured finish (like the current charcoal texture) but they are VERY difficult to find. The smooth Alpin are reasonably common. I don't have any official figures but I would suggest that the top five rarest RUNS of Safari fountain pens were probably: 1) Textured Alpin, 2) Original Demonstrator, 3) Swedish blue with yellow clip, 4) Taiwan shiny black with red clip, 5) Japan serial NUMBERED white with red clip and matching leather case. Unless of course the SMOOTH terracotta/savanna/charcoal truly existed... And I don't know how many of the Rakuten red clips were produced either...

Happy hunting! ;)

Thanks, I really thought my Alpin was no shine, but though the color is not as bright as the current white, it definitely is a low shine, no textured version. Sorry for the error.

Interesting time, when the rainbow effect is nearly complete.. what will Lamy surprise Us with next?

Purple, or textured in my guess.

Or maybe they will really mess with our minds and bring out Yellow clips blink.gif

More about the Lamy Orange with orange cross cap-top. I think it is reissue edition as Lime 2011, but I'm not sure about produced year.

This is catalog of Lamy Hong Kong, they have 2 sub-lists for Lamy Safari, one for regular productions, one for special editions.

Lamy%2520HK%25201.jpg

Then, the list of special editions.

Lamy%2520HK%25202.jpg

So they have green apple, aquamarine, lime, orange, pink. And I believe that all of them have the cross cap-top with same color as barrel.

Maybe the orange one from ebay is the same. They offer about 60$ for each piece. And this list isn't updated, they will add the new chinese edition (red with yellow clip).

Sorry for my bad english.

Happy hunting! ;)

Thanks, very interesting.

Just my idea: I think the matte Alpin could be found in cellar or loft of Heidelberg folk :D. So I should make the trip to Heidelberg and hunt :D. By the way Heidelberg is also nice city.

So they have green apple, aquamarine, lime, orange, pink. And I believe that all of them have the cross cap-top with same color as barrel.

The original run of apple and aquamarine that I have both came with a matching colour cross top. The original lime came with a black top; then the lime was reissued with a lime cross top. The orange and pink were originally issued with matching colour spot top, then reissued with matching cross tops. So, I suspect that Lamy decided at the time that the aquamarine was released that they preferred matching colour cross tops for their special editions, and then AFTER that decision was made they proceeded to release the reissues with the matching cross tops (lime, orange, pink reissues). To my knowledge, the apple green and the aquamarine never had a black cross top (but please feel free to correct me if this is not correct). I think the aquamarine was the first special edition to be released with a matching colour cross top AS STANDARD.

Safaris are great, aren't they! :)

The original run of apple and aquamarine that I have both came with a matching colour cross top. The original lime came with a black top; then the lime was reissued with a lime cross top. The orange and pink were originally issued with matching colour spot top, then reissued with matching cross tops. So, I suspect that Lamy decided at the time that the aquamarine was released that they preferred matching colour cross tops for their special editions, and then AFTER that decision was made they proceeded to release the reissues with the matching cross tops (lime, orange, pink reissues). To my knowledge, the apple green and the aquamarine never had a black cross top (but please feel free to correct me if this is not correct). I think the aquamarine was the first special edition to be released with a matching colour cross top AS STANDARD.

Safaris are great, aren't they! :)

Yes, great! I love them!

The Aquamarine was really the first special edition with a matching color cross cap-top. This edition was released in 2011, and in this the year Pink and Lime were also reissued with a matching color top-cap. IMHO I think the Orange with orange cross top-cap would be produced in 2011 or 2012(please correct if I'm wrong).

The first edition with spot top-cap is Flame in 2004, the second is Blue with red clip, the top-cap and clip came exactly from Lamy Joy. Then Orange and Pink were released in 2009 with a matching color top-cap.

So it seem the Lime is unique edition with black cross top-cap as regular productions.

I attach with this post a Excel file that list all editions from Safari family (incl. Vista, Al-Star and Joy). This file I downloaded last year from this topic and updated some new editions.

Lamy Safari FPN.xls

Lamy Safari FPN.xlsx

Fun stuff. I've nearly "completed" my collection of Safaris. Just looking for a Terracotta. I've concluded personally that some are simply too rare and/or too expensive to pursue with much vigor. I did have the great fortune recently of having an FPN member offer a Savannah in mint condition with its original box for a very fair price. Very satisfying and appreciated.

Make no mistake, if I stumbled upon one of these rarer Safaris for a great price, I'd pounce. However, they only seem to turn up for sale on eBay, and once that happens, all bets are off. I've never seen an original demonstrator in person, and I've maybe only seen a couple photos here or there. Same for some of the other rare ones.

Does anyone here have an original demonstrator or some of these rarer Safaris they'd care to share a couple photos of?

Fun stuff. I've nearly "completed" my collection of Safaris. Just looking for a Terracotta. I've concluded personally that some are simply too rare and/or too expensive to pursue with much vigor. I did have the great fortune recently of having an [[[[[FPN member offer a Savannah in mint condition with its original box for a very fair price. Very satisfying and appreciated. ]]]]]]

Make no mistake, if I stumbled upon one of these rarer Safaris for a great price, I'd pounce. However, they only seem to turn up for sale on eBay, and once that happens, all bets are off. I've never seen an original demonstrator in person, and I've maybe only seen a couple photos here or there. Same for some of the other rare ones.

Does anyone here have an original demonstrator or some of these rarer Safaris they'd care to share a couple photos of?

Wow cloud9.gif so glad for you!!!

terra-vannah, and the internationals the only holes in my (Safari only) rainbow.. It's been fun!

The Safari is such a uniquely functional and aesthetic design that it really lends itself to all kinds of color schemes and LE materials, etc. It's one of my favorite pens. I hope they keep making them for a long, long time.

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

In fact, they all have a little circle that is red on top no matter which one of the three colors. Still, I think it's a strange coincidence, and perhaps the Safaris are linked in some way. Who knows.

well... in such case, they look pretty similar to the ones sold in Taiwan recently.

Matted Black with red clip and red dot

Red with red clip and red dot

Yellow with red clip and red dot

Edited by kmpn

I have 1 demonstrator, here is some pictures with Lamy Vista to compare

DSC_1865.JPG

DSC_1867.JPG

DSC_1868.JPG

DSC_1869.JPG

DSC_1870.JPG

DSC_1871.JPG

It has a imprint GERMANY on the end of the barrel. That means it was produced after 1989. The pictures of the demonstrator with imprint "W.GERMANY" can be found from kmpn's blog

Then some pictures of Savanna and Terracotta that I have, but I still don't have fountain pen of them, just have some parts :((

DSC_1873.JPG

DSC_1874.JPG

DSC_1875.JPG

DSC_1876.JPG

DSC_1877.JPG

Thanks for your participation, and sharing study photos steelbood.

I was observing what I thought might be a demonstrator on the bay, but after comparing with my Vista, determined it was a Vista in poor lighting.

Ongoing discussion, and such photos help Lamy enthusiasts from making costly errors.

Best wishes in your Terra/Vanna quest too : )

Best wishes in your Terra/Vanna quest too : )

Thank you, best wishes for your quest too.:D

Hello

just found a new one (or new for me) My link

Andreas

Thanks for your information. Maybe It's same with the chinese edition. I've just asked the seller about chinese edition. And I hope that this edition is also available in Spain now, easier to get it than from China.

Edited by steelblood

Ok, I finally managed to take a few pictures of my rarer safari fountain pens. Not easy to catch the texture! Plus, I didn't have a tripod... Hope they are useful anyway. Enjoy!

Lamy safari demonstrator. W. Germany imprint, black inner cap sleeve, recessed "Lamy" on barrel.

post-34844-0-54982000-1347220136.jpg

post-34844-0-77435400-1347220138.jpg

post-34844-0-45153800-1347220134.jpg

Edited by cbbp