Sheaffer Skrip Brown

MyDarnSnakeLegs

This is a Sheaffer ink that came in the "Spring Cleaning" ink drop in March. The theme was "the best of the worst," and it included a selection of the worst selling inks that Goulet Pens has.

In case you're curious, here's what came in that shipment:

Diamine Washable Blue - I have this in a pen now, and it's not bad but it is a blah-blue.

Noodler's Summer Tanager - I hated this ink. The link is to one of my first ever reviews.

Private Reserve Foam Green - Haven't tried it yet.

Platinum (Mix-Free) Cyclamen Pink - I haven't tried this one yet, but I may have put it in my wife's pen once.

Sheaffer Skrip Brown - Keep readin'.

I really like brown inks. They can be dark enough for official uses, but they're different enough to be interesting. I'm currently writing with Beaver, and I like that one a lot. Skrip Brown is a terrible ink, though. It's the only Sheaffer that I've ever used, and I really hope that they aren't all like this one. They can't be...right?

Pros: This brown is really a good color. It shades like crazy from a light brown to a deep saturated brown with just a little bit of a gold hue. I love the color, and on the thick but uncoated paper that I used for the review it demonstrated a high surface tension that took a while (forever) to dry, but it didn't feather out or spread. It eventually dried into the color that you see in the review with deep browns where the ink pooled and very light browns at the top of several letters.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XW05Z0R0JlA/T7k3UvAibxI/AAAAAAAABLw/_LJ1DLwmfyc/s1600/IMG_7693.JPG

Cons: Everything else. It probably spreads more than any other ink that I've used. It soaks through any papers that aren't really thick and it spreads and feathers until the handwriting is unrecognizable. The water swab there is one pass from a wet Q-tip after the ink had set for at least a day. It might have been a couple of days. Needless to say, it's not water-resistant in the least.

Thoughts: You might get away with using this ink on a really good paper. I didn't have a Rhodia pad at the time, but it might look nice there. If you have a pen that you only use on good paper, then this might be a winner for you. I write on all sorts of things, and my students and office don't exactly use high-quality papers, so this ink is a total loss for me.

Has anyone ever used this one successfully?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pksFcT-p224/T7k3QWOoqWI/AAAAAAAABLg/id-N3_pR3fs/s1600/IMG_7691.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PxKFHlH3L8k/T7k3SXBGNMI/AAAAAAAABLo/0Zj6CUxsmow/s1600/IMG_7692.JPG

My Blog: Inkdependence!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MyDarnSnakeLegs

• lovemy51

• Uncle Red

• Manalto

Hah, my opinion is the reverse of yours. I didn't have any performance issues except with work paper but it's the worst and it's only for notes for myself. I found the Skrip Brown well behaved otherwise. I did not like the reddish color at all, it looks like a red with too much brown to me.

The Ahabs are wet pens normally, did you try Skrip Brown in a drier pen?

Don't bother with the foam green, :sick: Yuck and it spreads.

I cannot agree with you more about Summer Tanager.

Cyclamen Pink is nice if you like pink, it gets a bit of iridescence on the edges of the line from a wet pen on good paper. Similar to Hope Pink.

I think Washable Blue was a nice blue, especially for a washable one. It is not on my wish list however.

I didn't try the brown in anything else. My Ahab is a wet writer for sure, but this was over the top. I might try this ink in a really fine point pen, but my hopes aren't high. Maybe this ink was just too free-flowing to get any purchase in my Ahab.

I see what you're saying about the red in the ink, now, but I think my pictures may have just picked up more red there than I usually see. Or maybe I'm really into red-browns. I dunno.

My Blog: Inkdependence!

i've always said i wanted to buy this ink and as time passed, forgot about it. i think i might pick it up tomorrow at Flax in SF, if they have it -while waiting for an oil change :blush: .

thanx for the reminder, yournameistoolongtowrite! ;)

never tried taht color but all teh sheaffer ink I had behaved pretty well out of the box. Thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Thank you for the review. I quite like it and it's a colour that I would consider buying. I've just bought an amber laquer Waterman Carene that matches the colour nicely.

• 6 months later...

couldn't agree with you more, there! i'm quite new to colours other than blue and black, and this one's the only one i have that's not blue/black.

been using it for quite a while, so it's good to hear that it's the ink that's bad and not my Lamy Vista. i have all the problems you mentioned, but can get this to work on higher quality, 70 GSM paper, but not w/o occasional feathering even on that. and there's the "red" problem too. all my friends (fellow students who don't use FPs) asked me, "Why are you writing notes in Red?", which peeved me off to no end. :angry:

i have Skrip blue, and that one i quite like. i recently bought a new Kaweco Sport Classic which was skipping with the cartridge that came with pen. i switched to Skrip blue and it brought out the pen's true class. so, right now at least, i have a soft corner for Skrip Blue. Sheaffer doesn't really have a very romantic or creative collection, just "Blue, Black, Brown", etc, unlike, say, Private Reserve, i guess.

Edited by full_throttle

Lamy Vista M, Kaweco Sport Classic M, Schneider Base M, Platinum Preppy M, Waterman Harley-Davidson F, Rotring Freeway F, Parker Vector M, Pilot Vortex M

Hah, my opinion is the reverse of yours. I didn't have any performance issues except with work paper but it's the worst and it's only for notes for myself. I found the Skrip Brown well behaved otherwise. I did not like the reddish color at all, it looks like a red with too much brown to me.

+1, Uncle Red.

Personally I find the Slovenian offering to be more red-shifted than I typically care for, and yearn for the American production Skrip Brown (Herbin's Lie de Thé makes for an acceptable substitute for old Skrip, IMO). I've never noticed any behavioral problems with my Slovenian Brown, but neither have I attempted to use it on lowest bidder paper.

Altogether Skrip Brown reminds me a great deal of Pelikan Brilliant Brown.

• 1 year later...

I have Sheaffer Brown from the older Slovenian stock (bottle shows a nib pointing up and has a brown label on the lid) and I like the color pretty much (lovely shading and very unique tone of reddish brown). But, this ink does not work well in my Pilot pens. The flow is dry, it skips and doesn't write well in some papers. I tried it in two 78G's and a Custom 74, each one behaved differently but all in all the flow was poor. I am wondering if the new stock (which possibly was the ink used in this review) has a changed formula. I've seen people calling Sheffer Skrip both a dry ink and a wet ink. To me, only Sheaffer Black from the current bottle (nib pointing down, no colored label on lid) works fine, Turquoise and Brown from the old bottle don't. I have read that they changed the saturation for the inks a bit, there were complaints that the previous Slovenian formula was washed out, but I don't know about that.

So, did anybody have any luck with current bottle Sheaffer Brown in Pilot pens or noticed any flow problems in the old bottle?

• 2 years later...

I'm reviving this ancient thread to sing the praises of Skrip Brown. For me, it goes down on the paper a rich brick red and dries to a ruddy, woody brown that has warmth and character that offers a mellow welcome to the reader. No feathering or show-through, even on cheapo paper. Shading is beautiful. All this from a run-of-the-mill, inexpensive ink. Looking for a nostalgic brown for personal correspondence, I've tried several others that cost many times as much and have prettier bottles, but none have hit the mark as well as plain ol' Skrip. Its only shortcoming is that it seems to lack lubricating qualities and pens that are normally smooth on the paper have a wee bit more feedback.

James