Rome Burning

the flexistentialist

fpn_1336593291__catfish-rome.jpg

I wanted to adore this ink. I did. And then it feathered at me... and spread... and bled through something fierce. So I decided to experiment. The above is the result of me trying to control a wildfire. This ink can behave if the stars are perfectly aligned. I had better luck on thick, uncoated papers using fine and finer nibs. I'm still intrigued by the color(s) and love watching it dry - going from a rich coffee brown to the golden green brown you see in my image. But I'm afraid this won't be my everyday, every circumstance ink – not without a few new packages of blotter paper.

This was my first "review" and I think I over-thought it a bit. The handwritten section is written with an italic snorkel and my not quite needlepoint waterman. Fine lines keep Rome Burning in line but there is a weird shading that can occur in the thicker lines, that is quite attractive. I'm still determined to love this ink, and it grows on me every time I watch some dry... but I'm still looking for that perfect combination of paper and pen to tame it.

I can post zoomed in versions if there is an interest.

(wanted to do something "artistic" for this, since it got its beginning in the art contest)

Thanks,

the flexistentilist

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• the flexistentialist

• daoud62

• Scriptorium Pens

• goldiesdad

Wow! Nice penmanship and great work in this review! Thorough enough for me to make a judgement on whether to buy it or not.

Thanks. Will look out for more of your reviews. :happyberet:

...The above is the result of me trying to control a wildfire....

Thanks! What a nice, original type of review. Also, now I know why this ink was given that name!!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Given the extraordinary presentation of your review, the ink became an afterthought. That was one of the coolest reviews I have seen, and really hope you grace us with more of your magical creativity.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Thank you for a lovely review. It is nice to see how the ink behaves with different paper.

An eye for insignificant details is a good sign you will do just fine in medical school...

As a sharp wit and powerful sarcasm is a sign that you already have.

Somebody

"This dog can hunt" as my dad would say ... Love your penmanship ...

I made three or four attempts to read your review before I managed to get it all in. I kept getting distracted by the wonderful origami catfish!

Excellent review!

+1 tongue.gif

John

I made three or four attempts to read your review before I managed to get it all in. I kept getting distracted by the wonderful origami catfish!

Excellent review!

Holy Cow! I completely missed the Catfish! This is just a Beautiful, no, spectacular, review! Now I have to search for all of your others!

I, too, would love to love this ink, but the best I can manage is a fond like. It's living in my Konrad now, and as long as there's no flexing we're happy enough together.

Edited by WayTooManyHobbies

Excellent review!

+1 tongue.gif

+another 1!

Gorgeous! I love how you reviewed the ink... and the catfish... brilliant!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Thanks all! I was really kind of nervous about posting this - never did a review before. I had a blast experimenting with Rome Burning though. I just wasn't sure if my spin on a review was still functional. But there's no harm in giving it a whirl. :vbg:

Like WayTooManyHobbies, Rome Burning is living in my own Konrad for now. It seems to get along very well with my hand-pressed watercolor paper, making thin lines and washes without a fuss... but my watercolors are starting to get a bit jealous.

the flexistentialist

That is the most beautiful review. You're very talented. I like the mix of papers. Have you tried many FP inks on the watercolor papers?

Oddly enough, I've used all of my current inks on my watercolor paper. I have cold and hot-pressed flat sheets that work well for the really dry or the really wet inks, but the uncoated, almost raw water color paper I found in a Hobby Lobby sketch book has never failed to make any ink behave wonderfully. Sadly, it was a bit pricey and I'm too cheap to get another one without a hefty coupon/discount. But it's definitely worth looking into. The one time I had an ink disagree with a page of that book was my own fault - dip pen flooded – but even the resulting blob was quite pretty as it showed the entire spectrum of the color and a halo of its components.

I'd urge anyone that's willing to play to give watercolor papers a try in all their forms - plus they just feel nice.

the flexistentialist

Very creative review which did not sacrifice information. Kudos!

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

Has Nathan been shown that Catfish yet? I feel that deserves a "Free Bottle Of Ink" voucher for sheer creativity!

An amazing presentation and creative review. I am now again looking forward to opening my bottle of Rome Burning when I get back to New York!

I hope to see more of your amazing work.

David

Very nice, complete review, thanks.

I tried a sample, and on cheaper paper that is my mainstay was less than impressed with the bleeding, and the color wasn't to write home about once dried.