Ef Pen Suggestions

tricnomistal

The platinum is thicker in the body and longer, has nice golden accents to it, better build quality (but not by much). Also it has better flow, a finer line than the 78G F, and is a lot smoother.

Not to mention it looks better :)

Visit my blog Pentorium!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tricnomistal

• watch_art

• imadeadend

• XiaoMG

Definitely try Pilot Elite with EF from ebay seller speerbob for $19. It is the SMOOTHEST pen in my collection. Writes much smoother than some more expensive pens with M nib and there is no skipping whatsoever. Which really surprised me, the tines are not really symmetrical. I just bought a spare from the same seller.

You can email him directly at speerbob at starpower.net

Please remove the email address or format it differently. Many users don't like their email addresses being publicly publishing due to spam bots farming emails. Just a friendly caution!

Ah... thanks! Done. It is still in your quote though... :(

No I edited it so it says "at" instead :)

I apologise for the complete derailment of this thread, but the at won't make things any better for speerbob. Bots know to interpret that as the @ sign, just as they are wise to a lot of other email disguises. Suggesting that members contact other members by PM rather than posting emails is one way to fight against the bots.

Hmm. Unfortunately, for those who mentioned the Lamy Safari, I can't seem to find it in me to like them.

I prefer a more traditional or elegant look.

I've looked at Jinhao and they are quite inexpensive, but I wonder how good their quality is.

Also, the pilot 78g seems like a good idea. I've heard that they are good pens.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

"A pen of quality is a writer's gold"

Also, I understand that Japanese fines are more fine than an Extra Fine Western nib. Any truth here?

Also, I understand that Japanese fines are more fine than an Extra Fine Western nib. Any truth here?

Generally, yes. Though the equivalent of course varies between brands.

Another option, if you really want to go on the cheap end, is the Pilot Penmanship. It's a Japan only model that comes with an EF nib... but you can buy from Jetpens for under $10 (plus shipping). The nice thing about that nib is that you can swap it with the nibs on Pilot 78G and Preras. It's a little scratchy (not overwhelmingly so though unless you are heavy handed) but its REALLY fine. It has a funky grip section like the Lamy Safari so hopefully you have a tripod grip if you decide to get it.

If you just want a Japanese fine (probably close to a Western EF), at the $50 range, you can also pick up a Pilot Prera. The American version are demonstrators... but the Japanese ones (which again you can find on Jetpens) are not.

[url="http://i-think-ink.tumblr.com/"]thINK[/url]: my pen & paper blog :)

Another option, if you really want to go on the cheap end, is the Pilot Penmanship. It's a Japan only model that comes with an EF nib... but you can buy from Jetpens for under $10 (plus shipping). The nice thing about that nib is that you can swap it with the nibs on Pilot 78G and Preras. It's a little scratchy (not overwhelmingly so though unless you are heavy handed) but its REALLY fine. It has a funky grip section like the Lamy Safari so hopefully you have a tripod grip if you decide to get it.

If you just want a Japanese fine (probably close to a Western EF), at the $50 range, you can also pick up a Pilot Prera. The American version are demonstrators... but the Japanese ones (which again you can find on Jetpens) are not.

Good advice. Thanks. I need something considerably more narrow than the two broad pens I have currently, but I by no means need a needle point. I'd rather have a smooth XF than a scratchy XXF.

Since it appears nobody else has said it, I'll suggest vintage user grade Sheaffer or Parker. A smaller balance can be found working for around $50. I got one for $10 and put a sac in it. PRetty awesome little nib. Scratch that - amazing nib. Parker Duofold Jr. has a great nib as well. You can post a want to buy in the classifieds with your max price.

:)

Since it appears nobody else has said it, I'll suggest vintage user grade Sheaffer or Parker. A smaller balance can be found working for around $50. I got one for $10 and put a sac in it. PRetty awesome little nib. Scratch that - amazing nib. Parker Duofold Jr. has a great nib as well. You can post a want to buy in the classifieds with your max price.

:)

That's also a good idea. Would I be able to get those in an XF nib though? Or would I need to have them custom ground for more $$$ ?

Oh yeah - you'll find em that way for sure. From my limited experience, vintage Sheaffer made some of the best XF nibs you'll find. I like them better than any of the XF Sailors or Pilots out there.

Some comparisons for you, I know not all will be within your price range, but the pilot fine is very similar to the 78g fine width. The Lamy EF is much broader than I would expect for an EF, it looks closer to a medium.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7094/7175075850_f4a0e47009_z.jpg

IMG_1150 by Bigeddie100, on Flickr

My recommendation would be a Pilot 78g fine.

Let us know what you go for! :)

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Good advice. Thanks. I need something considerably more narrow than the two broad pens I have currently, but I by no means need a needle point. I'd rather have a smooth XF than a scratchy XXF.

Skip the Pilot Prera, it's a $50 pen with the same nib as a $10 78G

Visit my blog Pentorium!

But the Prera feels so much nicer in the hand --- to me anyways. I still wouldn't get either though. I don't like the feel of the 78s and the Prera is too small.

;)

But the Prera feels so much nicer in the hand --- to me anyways. I still wouldn't get either though. I don't like the feel of the 78s and the Prera is too small.

;)

I rather like my 78G...

http://i.imgur.com/23YM7.jpg

Robert.

WOW that looks NICE! Did you do the matte finish yourself? Is the clip still on there?

Yep, the matte finish is mine, and no, I took the clip off that one. I think the geometric gold plated clip is not a great match for the pen once refinished, so I removed it, reshaped the cap a bit so it flowed together, and sealed the seam up. I'd like to do a few with replaced clips, but haven't found a source for great ones yet.

Robert.

Well it's gorgeous. Awesome work.

It sure is.

I was about to ask where in the heck did you find that one ?

Hex, aka George

Oh yeah - you'll find em that way for sure. From my limited experience, vintage Sheaffer made some of the best XF nibs you'll find. I like them better than any of the XF Sailors or Pilots out there.

Hmm... Well on Ebay I've fount two older Sheaffers for $45. They're pretty cool, and definitely something for me to think about. Thanks!

Well it's gorgeous. Awesome work.

It sure is.

I was about to ask where in the heck did you find that one ?

Many thanks. I hope others might get the itch to do something similar. There are some pens out there with lots of untapped potential, it seems.

Robert.