Parker "51" Single Jewel

christof

I have a question to all the Parker "51" experts out there. I am currently working on a visualized timeline of my Parker "51" collection but I do not know when exactly the production of the Parker "51" vacumatic single jewel has been started. Can anyone help me out?

post-18813-0-31704400-1336547020.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn-SC

• christof

• George

• jhoch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually the single jewels started in late 1941.

According to The Parker "51" book, the Single Jewel version of the "51" was introduced in 1942 due to wartime material restrictions.

I have never seen a SJ with '41 date stamp. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, I've just never seen one, or heard of one for that matter.

Have you?

I'd love to see a photo of one.

Thanks for your help again. Here's the result of my work. Let me know if there should be something wrong:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/220855-whats-up-at-christofs/page__view__findpost__p__2341290

I don't own a first year single jewel, but I have seen pictures of a few of these pens. One actually came up for sale on Ebay a few years back. Check out the first two paragraphs here Parker 51 Versions.

Actually, I am totally confused by the pens in your link. The first two are labeled 1941 and 1942 in your picture, and then in the text you say they both have 1946 imprints. What am I missing?

If you are trying to put together an overall timeline for the type of 51's produced - that is one thing. But why attach only the start date to your individual pens. Why not put the range of production? For instance, 1942-1948, or something. Seems like that might be more meaningful.

Edited by Procyon

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

Actually, I am totally confused by the pens in your link. The first two are labeled 1941 and 1942 in your picture, and then in the text you say they both have 1946 imprints. What am I missing?

If you are trying to put together an overall timeline for the type of 51's produced - that is one thing. But why attach only the start date to your individual pens. Why not put the range of production? For instance, 1942-1948, or something. Seems like that might be more meaningful.

Thanks for your comment. You didn't miss something but perhaps I was not clear enough in my description. I wanted to show the changes in design of the different models of the P "51". Of course I do not have a first year pen of every model and that is what I tried to explain in the description. But on the picture I wanted to declare the year of the start of the production of every model. I also thought that it would be clear that the production period only was during the time until the following model has been introduced. But I will change this if you think it would be more meaningful.

I am not that Parker "51" expert as you probably are. So please let me know if something is wrong on my timeline or if there is missing a model. This would be very helpful for me. Thanks a lot in advance.

So there are conflicting experts.

Until I see one, or have someone here produce one, the truth is unresolved.

(and everything sold on eBay 100% authentic, right!)

I will reiterate from Parker51.com :

"In addition, I have been able to inspect a demonstrator with the "1" imprint by the clutch ring and a rounded blindcap."

I've seen a couple of single line imprints by the clutch ring that had single jewel bottoms.

Regards,

George

Ahh, murkiness at the 51's dawning!

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

I will reiterate from Parker51.com :

"In addition, I have been able to inspect a demonstrator with the "1" imprint by the clutch ring and a rounded blindcap."

I've seen a couple of single line imprints by the clutch ring that had single jewel bottoms.

Regards,

George

George,

I'm not sure we count. Tim may not count either.

On that avatar, I can make it now less one pen...

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Well, I am certainly no expert on the 51's. In fact, I was really surprised to find that the single jewel pens were produced as early as 1942 (or 41, whichever it is). I thought they came much later - I guess because all of mine are 1946 and 1947's. Glad to learn something. :)

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

The question was "I do not know when exactly the production of the Parker "51" vacumatic single jewel has been started. Can anyone help me out?"

Even if a '41 dated demonstrator is spotted, does that signify production?

Was that a prototype Demo only unit?

Was that "rounded blindcap" added later?

As for the date of the single jewel, I looked in The Parker 51 book and sure enough, it says 1942. Sorry for the mixup-should really check my pen library before I post.

Regards,

George

Edited by George

Both the 51 and the VAC book say no SJ 51 pens were produced in 1941. Having said that I would add that with the outbreak of the war lots of turmoil was going on in American industry and even at Parker as they prepared to reduce consumption of strategic materials. It would not surprise me at all if a few 1941 SJ pens were produced at the very end of December 41. They were gearing up and the SJ was the thing of the future for Vac pens as a whole. Even if I have never seen a SJ 51 first year pen it would not be a big surprise if there are a rare few of them floating around.

Rod Rumsey

Email me

nice pens christof :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time