Nemosine Singularity

Osmaroid

Introduction

I was doing a periodic scan of pens on Amazon when I came across pen by the name of "Nemosine Singularity". It was priced at $14.95 and was available in a few colors and as a clear demonstrator on Amazon Prime, which gives free shipping. What intrigued me was that it did not look like the typical $15 Chinese pen – less bling, for a start! I searched on the pen and found very little except that the only seller seemed to be Amazon. Other sellers apparently came up, but they all led to Amazon when clicking on "buy". It claimed a "German Nib", but so do most of the Chinese pens with Chinese nibs. I decided to get one as the worst I would do is lose $15

Appearance - 5 / 5

Two days later the pen arrived (Amazon Prime standard shipping). It was in a simple black display case with spring loaded lid and Satin interior – unusual luxury for a $15 pen.On the lid was a large label stating, among other specifications, that the nib was made in Germany and the Pen in Taiwan. Maybe this was a real German nib? It also stated that the pen was inspected and packaged in Pittsburgh and had a hand-written notification that it was a fine nib and the signature of the person who installed the nib!

fpn_1336530280__pen_in_box.jpg

fpn_1336530071__box_label.jpg

The mystery of who was behind it was somewhat revealed by a small folded card in the case with filling instructions that was labeled Xfountainpens.The pen itself was, to my eyes, attractive with chrome clip and cap and body rings. The red cap and body is nicely set off by a black section that contains a huge chrome colored nib marked "Iridium Point Germany"– the terminology I have seen on so many Chinese nibs. The wide chrome ring near the cap lip has "Nemosine" marked on it in mat gold colored letters. All in all, a nice design that reminds me of far more expensive pens and that doesn't try to compensate with excessive silver and gold areas.

Construction and Quality - 5 / 5

The pen is made of red and black plastic. The cap screws in place – again, nice in a low cost pen – and it also posts very securely if desired (I much prefer to write with a posted pen – I don't misplace the cap!). The clip is fairly substantial and spring loaded. The nib, as I have stated, is of substantial size and appears to be well formed with nicely rounded and smooth tipping. All in all, it reminds me of the sort of construction I have seen in another Taiwanese pen – the much more expensive Taccia.

fpn_1336530390__pen_capped.jpg

fpn_1336530482__pen_uncapped.jpg

fpn_1336530534__nib.jpg

Weight and Dimensions – 5 / 5

The pen is 5.4 inches long capped, 5.9 inches posted, barrel diameter 0.47 inches and it weighs in at 0.6 ounces. It is a light-weight pen and I find it comfortable to hold and use.

Nib Performance - 5 / 5

It doesn't matter how cheap a pen is or how good it looks, if it is a poor writer, it is not a bargain. I was extremely surprised to find that the Nemosine's performance was up there with that of my best pens – a glass smooth writer. To say that I would put its performance in line with that of my best pens, including my recently acquired Edison limited edition, is praise indeed. It put down a moderately wide line for a fine nib and was very smooth with no sign of catching. It is, of course, a very smooth nail with no signs of flex – not a problem with me as I cannot seem to get the skill to use a flex to advantage.

I was so impressed that I decided to order a second, brown pen to see if I had obtained a fluke. Two days later, the second pen arrived and confirmed my judgment with pretty much identical performance.

fpn_1336530586__red_and_brown_pens.jpg

I show a writing sample, although my penmanship was determined by a 1950s English school and is not particularly good, I'm afraid.

fpn_1336530656__writing.jpg

I should add that all this was done by dipping, so I cannot yet comment on flow, capped drying out characteristics, etc. when filled.

Filling System and Maintenance 4 / 5

The pen is a cartridge/converter filler with a full sized converter. I much prefer a piston filler, and they are available on low price pens, so I give this a 4 out of 5.

fpn_1336530708__converter.jpg

Value – 5 / 5

What can I say? A nice looking pen, an impeccable performer, and a price below that of many school pens. As they say, what's not to like?

Conclusion and Overall Rating - 4.8 / 5

I am glad that I checked Amazon under fountain pens. I only do this every 6 months or so, and thus have no idea how long they have been selling this or how long they will continue to offer it. I generally only write reviews on pens that I have found to be good, but they are seldom this inexpensive. If anyone has one or has seen them anywhere else, I would be interested to hear opinions.

Edited by Osmaroid

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KrazyIvan

• Osmaroid

• LizEF

• Miles R.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review. So, it's probably the amazon account for xfountainpens.com. They sell Knox nibs too so they may be replacing some of the cheap Chinese nibs with Knox nibs. That's just a guess but nice to see. I may have to look into them further.

Okay, you have convinced me to order one (the demonstrator). I figure at $15 I won't cry if it disappoints me, but it really does sound like a nice pen!

OK - I'm convinced. Thinking of trying the ivory one - but that red looks cool.

Great review and thanks for taking the chance with this.

As of this post these pens are not listed on the XFountainPens site. It's nice looking, kind of Deco. Is there any metal inside the barrel? I'm wondering if it can be used as an ED.

Just confirmed that Paramount Goods LLC is xfountainpens.com. Odd that they do not have it on the Xfountainpens site.

Well, Paramount Goods/xfountainpens is in Pittsburgh, so that appears to explain all.

ron

Just confirmed that Paramount Goods LLC is xfountainpens.com. Odd that they do not have it on the Xfountainpens site.

Well, Paramount Goods/xfountainpens is in Pittsburgh, so that appears to explain all.

ron

Only those nibs don't look like Knox. Maybe Jowo? They look like the ones Brian Gray sells.

Great review and thanks for taking the chance with this.

As of this post these pens are not listed on the XFountainPens site. It's nice looking, kind of Deco. Is there any metal inside the barrel? I'm wondering if it can be used as an ED.

No metal inside the barrel - it is just a plastic barrel There is a small blind recess at the peak of the exterior end of the barrel that could conceivably be a hole on some of them, but it would be trivial to plug if it was. It is nowhere near a hole in either of mine. As an eyedropper, it would hold a good amount of ink.

Great review and thanks for taking the chance with this.As of this post these pens are not listed on the XFountainPens site. It's nice looking, kind of Deco. Is there any metal inside the barrel? I'm wondering if it can be used as an ED.
No metal inside the barrel - it is just a plastic barrel There is a small blind recess at the peak of the exterior end of the barrel that could conceivably be a hole on some of them, but it would be trivial to plug if it was. It is nowhere near a hole in either of mine. As an eyedropper, it would hold a good amount of ink.

Thanks, that's cool, I have to keep these in mind.

Okay, my demonstrator arrived (I'm guessing otherwise identical to the reviewed pen). It works beautifully as an eyedropper--I just put silicone grease on the threads and that was pretty much it.

Okay, my demonstrator arrived (I'm guessing otherwise identical to the reviewed pen). It works beautifully as an eyedropper--I just put silicone grease on the threads and that was pretty much it.

So, what did you put in it? How does it write?

So, what did you put in it? How does it write?

I put in Noodler's Midway Blue. I have to concur with the OP--this is a remarkably smooth, pleasant nib writing a slightly thicker fine line. I don't yet know how it behaves as an eyedropper when the ink gets low, but so far all's good, and worst case I go back to using the converter. I am enamored enough of it for daily writing that I think I'm going to get two more for spares in case this one up and vanishes. (The only pen I've lost is a Platinum Preppy that was misbehaving anyway, but...) Seriously, thanks to the OP for reviewing this pen. I may be done searching for a smooth daily writer, and it's really affordable!

Sadly, my camera is AWOL so I can't provide photos, but here's Amazon.com's page with a photo:

http://www.amazon.com/Nemosine-Singularity-Demonstrator-Fountain-Pen/dp/B007L4Y8L0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336929711&sr=8-1

Edit: Forgot to mention--I have an Edison Pearl, and the nib on the Nemosine pen looks like a dead ringer for the Pearl's JoWo nib, same scrollwork thing at the tip, except the Nemosine's nib says IRIDIUM POINT GERMANY instead of EDISON + light bulb logo.

Edited by requiescat

I've wanted to find some affordable pens I could give as gifts and I think you've found one for me. Nice find!

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

Do they only come in fine nib? Sounds great though.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

It does look like the Jowo nib.

I wonder why they put the cap threads on the section rather than on the barrel.

???

It looks like Pelikan does this, as well.