My Ahab Is Possessed

Flake

So I know you've seen me whining about my ahab since the day it arrived. I've cut fins, I've moved the feed, everything. No matter what it kept choking and sputtering if even that much ink. I finally threw it in a drawer in disgust.

I found it today and holy cow! She lives!

I've left ink sitting in this thing. It took about a second to start and then BLAM. This pen writes freaking great! I now see everyone's recommendation. This writes the way I hoped it would when I ordered the thing.

Has anyone had this happen before? A pen randomly working for no reason and nothing different?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cerbeos

• USMCMom

• Ad_Astra

• Flake

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no expert or very knowledgeable, but I have read here on FPN, that some feeds need to ... well, sort of soak in the ink. Can't tell you that this is true for all, but I had another pen (not an Ahab) that didn't want to write and I just set it aside and when I picked it up about a day and a half later, it was fine. I'm hoping that our more knowledgeable members will either say it's true or it's myth and that what happened with the other pen I had, was pure luck.

Glad it worked for you!

Mine has had a full converter full of BSB in it for about 2 weeks, coming to and from work with me in my pen wrap, and it'll still skip.

Time to clean it again and try a more neutral ink.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I've had this happen too; it seems to just be an awkward combination of pen and ink that keeps the ink from properly saturating, so I would get miserable skipping. Randomly, after a day or two of sitting unused, it just started working.

/Shrug. Black magic?

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

I've had issues with my Ahab as well. At first I thought the pen was just a bad one in the bunch.

But I learned that Noodlers #41 Brown just doesn't flow well in this pen.

After trying regular bullet proof black it flowed better. But still has issue with flowing down the nib.

I am now convinced the nib is the problem. Even after several cleanings.

I have just bought the Noodler's Konrad flex and have high hopes it will work better.

But I have also ordered Knox K35 nibs and hope that they improve the flow of ink.

I don't really like a flex nib.

I'll report my findings once I get the items in.

"The Fountain Pen is an elegant weapon of a more civilized age"

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

PM me if you would like to exchange postcards.

My ahab is working smooth for once. But I can't tell if it's me not putting the ahab back together after a cleaning, or if it's something else. I think it's me and not putting it back together properly cause as of now, it's writing smoothly and without problems. First time it's done this actually.

But I bought the pen as something to tinker with before I buy a more expensive pen, so I'm okay with it working sometimes and not working other times, it gives me experience to tinker and figure out the problems.