#1 Quill1

Quill1

Moonlight & Stardust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 13:21

Has anyone used the PaperBlanks range of Journals/NoteBooks? I have been fortuante enough to aquire some recently with the intention of writting thoughts, quotes etc., without thinking if the paper is appropriate for fountain pens i.e bleed through, feathering etc., So rather than try and maybe 'spoil' with my first attempts, I thought I would ask here first.
Mont Blanc Boheme Bleu & Rouge, Mont Blanc 146 75th Anniversary,
Parker Duofold Centennial
Visconti Bronze Homo-Sapien
Waterman Edson Sapphire Blue

#2 UncleJoe420

UncleJoe420

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2012 - 14:47

From my experience of using various Paperblanks books, the paper should accept fountain pen ink with no feathering or bleed-through. I have used two different Paperblanks books, and still got 3 left to use - hopefully my newer ones will take to ink just as well as their predecessors!
"Is this thing on??"

#3 Quill1

Quill1

Moonlight & Stardust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:06

:) Thank you

#4 Karen Traviss

Karen Traviss

Pencils need love too.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:25

Actually, I've had very variable results. In the French Ornate Vert range, the micro size with plain paper was excellent but the long slim lined version feathered badly. But they may have changed their paper stock by now. I'd had the slim notebook for some time before buying the micro.
Karen Traviss
www.karentraviss.com

#5 Kyouju

Kyouju

Nemo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:51

I have only tried the embellished manuscripts from them, but my experience is more or less in line with the other posters: no bleedthrough at all and no feathering. The paper has a bit of texture, however, so it may take several pages' worth of practice to become comfortable with it for several nibs. A fully flexible needlepoint, for instance, might prove challenging at first given the texture of the paper.

#6 ChelleW

ChelleW

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 18:27

I love those journals, I've filled around 7 of them. Consistently fountain pen friendly, even with juicy wet writers (my Waterman Laureat M nib) and felt tipped pens.
Esterbrook J (3), Hero 395 (2), Hero 616, Clipper Piston Filler (4), Lamy Safari (10), Markant 130, Ahab, Parker Parkette (3), Parker Vacumatic, Pilot 78G (2), Pilot Plumix (2), Platinum Preppy, Salz Bros Black and White, Waterman Ideal, Waterman Laureat (5), Waterman Kultur

#7 Quill1

Quill1

Moonlight & Stardust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:44

I am becoming more 'paper-aware' and have noticed the slight differences between the various types of journals. I have made a start in one, I am pleased in how good the ink looks, no problems at all. All I need now is to improve my handwritting :roflmho:

I will look out for their embellished manuscripts as they sound ideal for a future project.

#8 angelofmusic81

angelofmusic81

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 14:05

My experience with them was from a few years ago, but the embellished manuscript pocket version that I had actually feathered and bled quite a bit. I still enjoyed many of the other aspects of the notebook, especially the style and how flat it would lay, but I ended up filling it with dry rollerballs and ballpoints. I'm pleased to hear that maybe they've stepped up their game on the actual paper, or at the very least, at a larger size I might have better luck.

#9 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,700 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 18:29

I've had hit-or-miss experience with PaperBlanks, but it seems that lately, it's been hit, hit, hit.

I look for the pages that are slightly textured, as that seems to be least feathery and bleedy.

They produce some beautiful notebooks!
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#10 ticoun

ticoun

Sheaffer & Pentax nut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2012 - 21:52

I might get one of those at my local bookstore. The problem is choosing, there are so many different and equally beautiful ones!

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Take a look at my DeviantART gallery!

#11 Bernardo

Bernardo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:15

I have only tried the embellished manuscripts from them, but my experience is more or less in line with the other posters: no bleedthrough at all and no feathering. The paper has a bit of texture, however, so it may take several pages' worth of practice to become comfortable with it for several nibs. A fully flexible needlepoint, for instance, might prove challenging at first given the texture of the paper.

I totally agree.

They are great journals, and some of their designs are awesome!

#12 inkypete

inkypete

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,717 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:56

I have had two and both had poor paper that feathered and too much show through. However I haven't tried one for about 18 months so they may have changed paper grades.
Posted Image

#13 Paperblanks

Paperblanks

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 16:10

Happy to see all the nice comments about Paperblanks! I can confirm (sitting here in Paperblanks HQ in Vancouver, Canada) that we did indeed recently step up our game. As part of our ongoing efforts to produce the finest-quality writing journals on the shelves (from binding to design to, yes, paper) we upgraded our paper quality in 2008. Read about our paper here: http://blog.paperbla.../paper-quality/

Or watch this video: youtube.com/watch?v=6s1J4JzGKpc

However, one thing we can't account for is that pre-2008 books are still out there!

But if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

- Paperblanks

Edited by Paperblanks, 10 May 2012 - 16:12.

#14 angelofmusic81

angelofmusic81

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2012 - 15:20

Happy to see all the nice comments about Paperblanks! I can confirm (sitting here in Paperblanks HQ in Vancouver, Canada) that we did indeed recently step up our game. As part of our ongoing efforts to produce the finest-quality writing journals on the shelves (from binding to design to, yes, paper) we upgraded our paper quality in 2008. Read about our paper here: http://blog.paperbla.../paper-quality/

However, one thing we can't account for is that pre-2008 books are still out there!

- Paperblanks

This is great news! The Paperblanks notebooks are some of the most stylish out there, with a little something for everyone. I am so pleased to hear that the company is dedicated to quality, both inside and out. I look forward to picking up a new one soon.

#15 Cowgirl

Cowgirl

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 13:45

How do we know if we are buying a pre-2008 journal? I would hate to waste my money on a non-fountain pen friendly journal.

Thank you,
Vicki

#16 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2012 - 13:48

- Paperblanks

:W2FPN:
This is wondrous news as I've adored the look of these for years, but was disappointed back in the day. Can't wait to order a load. I can't make up my mind between the Poe with that lovely purple background and the Persian carpet looking themes :blush:

Glad you could join us. Look forward to hearing more paper news! :clap1:

#17 Paperblanks

Paperblanks

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 17:26

How do we know if we are buying a pre-2008 journal? I would hate to waste my money on a non-fountain pen friendly journal.

Thank you,
Vicki

Unfortunately there's no clear way of discerning a pre-2008 book from a post-2008 one. Visually, the change-over was pretty much seamless. However, if you want a 100% guarantee that your Paperblanks journal has the superior paper your best bet would be to buy the collections and books that debuted after 2008. It might be harder to tell if some of our older designs (older French Ornate books, older Embellished Manuscripts, Old Leather) are still sitting on your retailer's shelves from a bygone era! Unfortunately we just don't have control over our retailers' inventories!

But definitely feel free to ask about any collections or books (consult www.paperblanks.com for titles and names) and I can tell you when they came out!

This is wondrous news as I've adored the look of these for years, but was disappointed back in the day. Can't wait to order a load. I can't make up my mind between the Poe with that lovely purple background and the Persian carpet looking themes :blush:

Definitely let us know how you find it! We always value feedback. :)

- Paperblanks

Edited by Paperblanks, 15 May 2012 - 17:27.

#18 missnibs

missnibs

Nib Ninja

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 20:35

Thank you,
Vicki

Unfortunately there's no clear way of discerning a pre-2008 book from a post-2008 one. Visually, the change-over was pretty much seamless. However, if you want a 100% guarantee that your Paperblanks journal has the superior paper your best bet would be to buy the collections and books that debuted after 2008. It might be harder to tell if some of our older designs (older French Ornate books, older Embellished Manuscripts, Old Leather) are still sitting on your retailer's shelves from a bygone era! Unfortunately we just don't have control over our retailers' inventories!

But definitely feel free to ask about any collections or books (consult www.paperblanks.com for titles and names) and I can tell you when they came out!

Definitely let us know how you find it! We always value feedback. :)

- Paperblanks

Well I'm currently using a 2007 Beethoven Embellished Manuscript and the paper quality is a good as that of the newer PB's I've recently bought. AND I have a Mozart Embellished Manuscript from 2005, which is equally fountain pen friendly (no feathering or bleedthrough or showthrough whatsoever!) - maybe I'm just terribly lucky? Because I used pretty saturated ink and a medium nib. (PS, that is, if the date on the last page is anything to go by, that should be the year/paper we're referring to in the post-and-pre-2008 debate, right?)

Anyways, I'm so thrilled to see you added one of my favourite authors to this range (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry) and I can't wait for that notebook to land in my mailbox (soon...)!

Edited by missnibs, 03 June 2012 - 20:37.

#19 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 20:37

Glad you "bumped" this topic. I was looking for it and couldn't remember where I'd seen this. :embarrassed_smile:

#20 missnibs

missnibs

Nib Ninja

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2012 - 20:40

Glad you "bumped" this topic. I was looking for it and couldn't remember where I'd seen this. :embarrassed_smile:

You're welcome! I found it because I was doing a forum-wide search for Paperblanks related stuff :D

#21 Chris S

Chris S

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:58

- Paperblanks

Wow, no idea it was a Canadian co. I love the quality of the one I have. Nice to know us Canucks can pump out some great products that don't cost an arm and a leg here at home.
All I want is 1 more pen, and 1 more bottle of ink, and maybe 1 more pad of paper. Well, at least until tomorrow. Oh yeah, and throw in that bottle of single malt. Is that asking for too much?

thanks Chris.

#22 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 14:27

I want to update previous comments I've made on these. As my 3B nib dries out, I notice there is a faint texture to the pages of these journals. Not enough to catch my stubs or italics, but still silky smooth even as my nibs dry out. I suspect they'll be lovely for the fine nib contingent, but can't comment as I run to broader nibs.

I'm hoping the other journals I've bought match this Poe for performance. If this is the new paper and they're consistent, I've got a new addiction source of journals. :thumbup:

#23 NeelsK

NeelsK

Closet Inkologist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2012 - 16:29

Yes, they are very good with fine and extra fine nibs too. I have several that perform excellently:

Black Moroccan (unlined)
Natural (unlined)
Ballad (lined)

None of these show any feathering or bleed through and only a hint of ghosting with my wettest writers (medium CI/stubs).

Edited by NeelsK, 10 June 2012 - 16:30.

#24 angelofmusic81

angelofmusic81

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 16:51

I just wanted to bump this again and update with my new experiences with Paperblanks. I stated before that I had quite liked the books but had a rather poor experience with the paper. They have since updated their paper and I picked up a pocket Black Moroccan lined book to test out. I was very pleased to find that the paper is now an A+! No feathering or bleedthrough, and the paper has a very slight laid texture that you can more see than feel, which just adds to the antique look and feel of the book. I love the new paper and will definitely be purchasing more Paperblanks products!

#25 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2012 - 16:56

Try to find post 2008 paper. I bought a batch on line and found a mix of NOS 2005 still in the foam wrappers along with the newer. Next time I'll know to query the vendor. Not that the 2005 is bad, but there's definitely show through with more ink brands. :headsmack:

#26 Paperblanks

Paperblanks

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 23:40

Thank you, everyone, for the great feedback and nuanced reviews! We just wanted to let you all know that none of it is going unnoticed. ;-)

- The Paperblanks Team

#27 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 23:52

Good to hear. It is hard to tell which batch is which on Amazon.

j

#28 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• 23,473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2012 - 23:54

Glad to know you're on this, Paperblanks. Some tweaking and you'l have a competitive product. :thumbup:

#29 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:49

Paperblanks----Any chance you could post the names of some of the designs that were put out recently and thus would certainly have the new paper?

thanks,

#30 Paperblanks

Paperblanks

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 23:53

Paperblanks----Any chance you could post the names of some of the designs that were put out recently and thus would certainly have the new paper?

thanks,

Sure!

Collections released post-2009:

• Nocturnelle Collection
  • Cartella Collection
  • Gutenberg Bible
  • Laurel Burch Blossoms
  • Laurel Burch Whimsical Creations
  • Laurel Burch Playful Creations
  • Ori Collection
  • Rose Garden
  • Mucha Collection
  • Baroque Ventaglio
  • Silver Filigree Collection
  • Parisian Mosaic
  • Grolier Ornamentali
  • Safavid Binding Art
  • Leonardo's Sketches
  • Lindau Gospels
  • William Morris (note: we did put out a Handstitch-bound Morris series pre-2008. The post-2008 Morris books have smythe-sewn binding)
  • Japanese Lacquer Boxes
  • Simply Holographic
  • Literary Art Deco

Some titles released post-2009:

• Saddleworn (Old Leather collection)
  • Rousseau, La Nouvelle Heloise (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Byron, Don Juan (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Saint-Exupery, Wind, Sand and Stars (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Michelangelo, Handwriting (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Balzac, Eugenie Grandet (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Lincoln, Fragment of a Speech (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Wordsworth, Letter Quoting "Daffodils" (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Poe, Tamerlane (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Darwin, Tree of Life (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Blake, Poems (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Goethe, Italian Journey (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Chopin, Polonaise in A-Flat Major (Embellished Manuscripts collection)
  • Temptress (Fabulous Footwear)
  • Sorceress (Fabulous Footwear)
  • Jama (Fabulous Footwear)
  • Lola (Fabulous Footwear)

...and I'm sure there are others we're missing. If you're not sure about a specific design run it past us and we'll clear things up!

Thanks!

- Paperblanks