The Sheaffer Valor

Stylus156

I have recently purchased a Sheaffer Valor in marbled blue and palladium armed with a fine tip and have given it a couple of weeks of daily use for a thorough evaluation and fair judgment. Below is the official site as I was not able to include images:

http://www.sheaffer.com/writing/product_detail.php?ID=1

First off, I absolutely agree with southpaw’s exceptional review in all aspects (see below) and only wish to provide some additional perspective - especially since I consider myself a novice to the fountain pen game and feel I have turned a corner with this pen.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39733

I have been using a Waterman Phileas and a Levenger True Writer daily for a year now and those are what I have to compare the Valor to. This purchase was meant for me to graduate to a more established and reputed pen to see if the difference was worth the expense.

The Sheaffer is absolutely worth it. Although I have been satisfied to date with my two ‘starter’ pens, the Valor was a clear improvement from the first second I opened the box. The pen’s craftsmanship and caliber is immediately apparent. The quality of the pen and its sturdy feel in your hand reinforces the design, materials used, and the manufacturing process. The body has continuity in finish and clean, uniform, tight fitting seams where the pieces come together. The cap reflects the body and it screws on with smooth security. The clip is tight and strong completely encircling the cap with its uniquely well engineered design. The nib and feeder well secures to the body with a metal screw fitting which even increases in tension as it tightens flush all the way around. I have only used the converter so far which also secures smoothly and well (with slight rotation) to the center feed.

My Valor has Sheaffer’s stock fine nib that I requested and its smoothness impressed me with the very first sentance. I have never been disappointed with my initial pens, but I immediately knew this nib wrote at an entirely higher level. And although I am less experienced on writing widths and expectations than other reviewers I think the Sheaffer fine tip writes wider than I expected and is comparable to medium nibs I’ve used and seen, this may be due to some flex in the nib. However, I am not disappointed in the definition of the line or how it affected my penmanship. I do admit the pen also inks a little more generously than what I am used to allowing a wetter and more solid line. I cannot speak to how it writes posted; I am a bit of a preservationist and write only unposted, which is comfortable with this model as the Valor’s heft and balance allows it to lie low and comfortably in the hand.

I am very satisfied with the Valor outside my own error of ordering a pen online without actually seeing it first and receiving one with a marbling affect that was not quite to my satisfaction. I should have exercised enough restraint to view the pen for myself before buying and I definitely recommend patience to others if visual effects of color and design are important to a specific investment.

Overall, the Sheaffer Valor is a striking purchase taking me to a new level of writing - I recommend it. To FP novices who wonder if they should stay in the less expensive grades or put more money into it...I say that if you can afford it you should treat yourself with a higher quality product of good reputation and review - the difference is remarkable. I look to enjoy this pen immensely for many years to come.

I’m going to try a Montegrappa next...

Edited by Stylus156

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• jar

• Stylus156

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats on the pen :thumbup: I will recommend you to try a sheaffer legacy, you will like it too

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time