Parker 17 Open Point

Ernst Bitterman

I've just had a look at the other reviews of the "17" currently in the hopper here, and I find that both are for the hooded version. This is unsurprising, given the short run of the open-point form (1962 to 1964, while the hoods lasted from '64 until '72). This is also a shame, because it is really a much different pen from the hooded "17", and one is certainly able to see the descent (in Darwinian terms) from UK Duofold to "17". The open-point form is, frankly, a little odd looking, with the non-traditional shape of the point putting one irresistibly in mind of an arrow-head; it does look like a Duofold made after a bout of collective amnesia has knocked the usual form of a pen-point out of everyone's head:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Parker-0378.jpg

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Parker-0293.jpg

The Duofold is a Senior, so it does somewhat loom over the "17". What I've written thus far makes the early "17" sound like a bit of a dud, and that's exactly opposite to the truth. Let's get on with the review.

Appearance & Design

Capped, there's nothing to be said against the "17"; a nice little Art Deco clip, trim lines, although somewhat conservative compared to a 45. With that odd point on display, those with expectations founded in either a traditional or hooded point will almost certainly be taken aback. After the initial gasp of shock, though, one realizes that it's not a deformity, just a different approach. It also gives a nice big lump of gold to look at, and there's hardly a known civilization than hasn't enjoyed that sort of spectacle. The shape of the point follows the contour of the section, which apart from the baffled expectations is pleasant to look upon. The contrast of the silvery clutch ring somewhat diminishes my score on this head, but it is otherwise a very presentable pen (8 of 10).

Construction & Quality

Here I have the first real issue with this pen. It is an issue which I have with the UK Duofolds as well; the cap is somewhat brittle. With the screw-cap Duofolds, this is a little less of a failing, but in the case of this pen, the slip-cap and the attendant pressures the clutch ring inflicts on the cap are serious issues. In common with the later "17"s and some Duofolds, there is an oddly-placed cap vent which cannot but help to dry out the pen in short order; it is under the clip's fletchings, and there is no inner cap to provide a seal. It may be relying on the relative nearness of sea level which England enjoys, but I in my continental interior semi-desert rate this as a design flaw. Cap aside, the rest of the pen seems relatively sturdy, and I can attest to the thickness of the section's walls. (6 of 10)

Weight & Dimensions

The modern fascination for giantism in pens would lead some to call this a small, light pen. In the terms of its own era, it is about average in both areas. The barrel is long enough for most users to write unposted, and with the cap posted it's of sufficient length for all but the most expansive paws. The cap posts very well, too, so writing is unfettered by fears of it dropping to the floor (a good thing, given my previous notes). Balance is good, posted or not, and there's not enough weight in pen or cap to cause trouble to those with unorthodox grips. 13.4cm long capped, 14.4cm posted, 12.5 cm uncapped. (9 of 10)

Nib & Performance

Ah, now we get into the interesting part of the review. That funny old point, which is marked as 14K (no continental indication, which suggests an extremely limited expectation of export sales). I have noted in the more common "17"s that there can be an unusual degree of give for a hooded point, and I have noted also a general tendency in British-made pens towards flex... which I think gives you a sense of what I'm about to reveal. It's not a wet noodle, but is it a very supple, flexible point. As I don't have several to chose from, I speculate only that there must have been options of firmness and flexibility when there were on the market. This one is flexible, smooth, damp and utterly delightful. It is also rather vulnerable to heavy handedness, as when I got this pen the point was slightly sprung and needed burnishing back to health; getting the point out was not the hardest pen repair I've done, but is was not loads of fun and I suggest against it unless driven. Hidden under the section is a mystery number: 7. It's not a date code, and I don't have at my command the point codes Duofolds had applied to them; perhaps a reader can leave a link. (10 of 10)

Filling System & Maintenance

The filler is Parker's nigh-eternal vinyl sac and press-bar; what we might in innocence call an Aerometric. As such, it is not particularly user-serviceable but it generally doesn't need it anyway. It only takes about 0.9ml onboard, sort of midway between a modern converter and a Parker cartridge; with the flex fully engaged, I don't expect that to last a great while, but with moderation it's certainly enough for a day's writing. The downfall of this sort of filler is the requirement to entirely dismantle the pen to work it, relative to most other self-fillers; it's reliable, but there's the reconstruction at the end of filling that costs points. (8 of 10)

Cost & Value

In its original release, the "17" was meant to be a popular pen. I've yet to see price lists which include it from this end of the run, but if it was indeed at the bottom of Parker's rankings, somewhere about the level of the 45, it would be a marvel of value for money. That brittleness of cap may be an age-related infirmity. I got this one for what I consider a very good price from eBay, but of course I did my own repairs. If you can lay hands on a restored one for anything under $45, I'd say snap it up, and even up to $60 it would be worth chasing. The points indicates my speculation on original cost rather than the current availablity. (8 of 10)

Conclusion

I can understand why Parker would switch to the less easily-damaged and material-hungry hooded points on this line, but if the general run of open points was anything like my exemplar the world is a poorer place for their discontinuation. I hope I don't start a run on these things, but I do highly recommend taking up one if it's found in anything near decent shape. (Final score, 49/60)

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernst Bitterman

• Uncle Red

• terminal

• adamon

Wow, I had no idea this variant existed! I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for one! Your description of the nib was really interesting and surprising.

Great review, thanks!

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

A nice review of a not often seen pen. I didn't know of this variant either until I picked one up about a month ago on the FPN Classifieds.While I waited for it to come from the UK, I looked it up in Lambrou's fountain pens of the world and, although there was not a photograph of it, he described it as having a "beak shaped nib" - quite definitely what I saw in the photos of the pen I had bought. Mine also is a superb, glass smooth writer, just the type of performance I like.

Edited by Osmaroid

I enjoyed reading your review. I now have another pen to watch for. Thank you.

Great review but could we get a better picture of the nib?

My initial response to this was "Mmmmmmmaybe." Sometimes my camera and I don't agree. This time, though, I think we've got it together.

http://ravensmarch.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/parker-0378p.jpg

And while I'm at it, how about a writing sample?

http://ravensmarch.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/parker-0378x.jpg

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Reminds me of some of the old Pilot nibs and others from the 60's and 70's.

Very nice, professional review - Thanks

Let me add some words.

P17 with open nibs were produced as 2 models (17 Duofold and 17 Super Duofold) in 4 standard UK solid colours: black, red, green and blue.

Parker 17 Duofold

fpn_1336114676__p17beak_2_800c.jpg

and

Parker 17 Super Duofold

fpn_1336114721__p17sbeak_2_800c.jpg

Edited by adamon

Thanks for this review, Ernst. I have often wondered about these pens.

I have tried to get one of these myself as they are a varient of the P17 I've never tried, but always missed out in the auctions.

Anyway, I think the nib shape was in someone's mind when the P65 was dreamt up a bit later (1967 - info here: http://www.parkercollector.com/parker-pen-parker65.html ). That pen also has a surprisingly soft nib, though I'd not call it 'Flexible'.

Great review, & confirms my desire to get one if the price is right. Though after this review, it's even less likely to be!

Regards,

Richard.

I used to own one, and it wrote deliciously. I sold it, with mild regret, to an FPN pen pal in England who had recently developed an interest in collecting pens made in England. Much as I enjoyed the pen, I thought he deserved to own something like that, being English and having begun seriously buying the pens of his native land. But yes, I do miss that nib.

the 17 is a very good pen for the money and one of the best made parker pens that were made in the UK back in the days

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 5 weeks later...

I had to dig this thread up.

So, ever since reading this review, I really did start looking for a 17, and finally one came up on eBay. I bought the thing for $17!

Anyway, it arrived in perfect condition. It must have been a daily user. It was still wet with ink and had some... blue ink of some kind, I'd guess quink blue or so.

It is QUITE a writer. The flow is generous, and I have to say, your review, Ernst Bitterman, was extremely accurate.

I think this is one of the best deals I've ever found in a fountain pen actually. I'm daily carrying it! (for now....)

Thanks again for this review, I'm so glad I read it and that I watched for a 17!

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• 5 months later...

That is a cool variant on the Parker 17. I have one of the later 17s with a hooded nib that is semi-flexible.

The open nibs on these pens almost looks like the nibs from the Parker 75s.