Edison Nouveau Encore

anaximander

As a fan of Brian Gray's work in general and of his previous collaboration with the Goulets in particular, I've been eagerly awaiting the second "Edison Nouveau" pen.

First Impressions

Packaging is typical of Edison pens, so see my review of the Edison Nouveau Premiere for photos of boxes if you're into that kind of thing. As with the Premiere, the Encore comes with a letter signed by both Brians.

Appearance & Design

This is a beautiful pen! Brian Gray has great pen designs in general, but he's really outdone himself on this one.

The pen was announced by Brian Goulet as exhibiting three new features. These were doled out to us over the course of a week of saliva-inducing teaser photos on the Ink Nouveau blog. They are:

• a cap band
  • a #5 nib engraved with the Edison logo
  • a medallion on top of the cap

The biggest surprise for Edison fans will probably be the cap band. I think this really adds a lot to the design, especially since it provides visual balance to the medallion at the top.

http://rongilmour.info/images/ene/ENE_close_box.jpg

After the torpedo shape of the Premiere, this Edison Nouveau goes the flat-top route, showing some similarities to Pelikan pens (more on that later). Like Pelikans, the design is blocky, but not brutal. There is a slight taper at the end of the barrel that softens the shape, as does the taper of the cap lip.

Like the Premiere, the Encore is offered in three different acrylic materials. I chose the blue agate and am very happy with it. It's a very intricate and beautiful blue/white swirl pattern. Really an outstanding material, even by Edison standards. I could look at this pen all day. (See the Goulet Pens website for images of the other colors: turquoise and amethyst.)

http://rongilmour.info/images/ene/ENE_material.jpg

The medallion on top of the cap is another nice design touch. It has a sort of "hammered" texture with a script "EN" logo.

http://rongilmour.info/images/ene/ENE_medallion.jpg

Overall, the look of the pen is more "finished" than some Edison designs. I think it's a great look. The additional design touches add a little sparkle, but don't detract from the beautiful material and simplicity of line that are hallmarks of Edison pens.

Weight & Dimensions

Brian Goulet has already compared the Encore in size to the Pelikan M2xx/M4xx pens. Indeed, if we compare the two pens, especially uncapped, they have similar dimensions.

http://rongilmour.info/images/ene/ENE_pelikan_capped.jpg

http://rongilmour.info/images/ene/ENE_pelikan_uncapped.jpg

Once in a while, someone will complain about the pronounced threads on Pelikan pens. It's never bothered me, but you'll notice that the thread area of the Encore is pretty much flush with the rest of the body, so those with thread sensitivity should have no trouble.

Used unposted, the weight and balance of the Encore is similar to the Pelikan. Posted, it's a different story.

http://rongilmour.info/images/ene/ENE_pelikan_posted.jpg

Relative to the Pelikan, the Encore's cap is longer, posts higher, and has a heavy metal medallion on top. This creates quite of a bit of back-weight when writing with the pen posted. At first, this bothered me a little, but I found that I got used to it pretty quickly. Anyway, at least for my hands, the Encore isn't bad to use unposted either.

Speaking of posting, the Encore posts very securely. I get the feeling that it's really made to be posted, as opposed to pens like the Edison Pearl and Herald which can post if you're really intent on it, but don't seem quite happy about it.

This next photo shows the Encore next to the Premiere to highlight the differences in the grip section. I don't think this is a new section design for Brian Grey, but the asymetric (narrower near the nib) grip section is less common on Edison pens than the more hourglass-shaped section featured on the Premiere. I don't have a strong preference on the section shape, but I thought I'd point it out.

http://rongilmour.info/images/ene/ENE_ENP_uncapped.jpg

Nib & Performance

Most Edison pens use a #6 nib (see the image of the Premiere, above). The much smaller #5 nib is so far used only on the Mina, Pearlette, and now the Encore. Aesthetically, I prefer the smaller nib.

It seems though, that the #5 nibs may write just a hair broader than the #6. At least this is the case for mine. Relative to the F nibs on my Herald and Premiere, the F nib on the Encore seems a tiny bit broader and considerably toothier. I'm expecting a Pearlette in the mail in the very near future, so I'll have to see if this holds true or if it's just a fluke with my nib.

Filling Mechanism

Like the Premiere, the Encore uses a cartridge or converter (included). I imagine it would be a good candidate for an eyedropper conversion if that's your thing.

Because the pen barrel is so small (at least by Edison standards), the converter is a pretty tight fit.

Cost & Value

At $185, the Encore costs a bit more than the Premiere, but is still at the low end of the overall Edison price scale. I think it's a very fair price for a beautifully crafted pen.

Conclusion

I strongly recommend this pen, especially to those of us who prefer pens in the more "classic" size range. Beautiful, unique, solidly made, and a collaboration by two of the pen community's favorite people. What's not to love?

Edited by anaximander

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anaximander

• IWantThat

• watch_art

• georges zaslavsky

Great review. Beautiful pen. Too small for my hands but I love the new decorative furniture. Thanks for showing it next to the M200. I have an M215 that I love. Due to it's size, it only comes out for quick note taking sessions. That leaves me thinking that the same would happen here...but it's fun to look at.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

— Dr. Seuss

Thanks for the great review. Could we see a writing sample from both the Premiere and the Encore?

I start thinking about buying this exact pen and 'blam!', it's reviewed. I would expect that any collaboration between those two to produce a quality pen.

Thanks for the review, and my wallet (along with associated rectangular plastic money card) are now weeping...

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." --Terry Pratchett

http://jamesthebard.net/files/signature_small.jpg

Thanks for the great review! I have been waiting to see a review of this pen and your review was great. I especially like the comparison photos with the M200, as it really helps to put things in perspective.

I had an Edison Nouveau Premiere but I think this one looks like a better fit for me. I like the size of the Pelikan M200/M400 pens, and the smaller size nib is also something I like.

Jeff

Oh, gawds! I love the pictures of this pen, in this color, that are on the GP site - that darned BG keeps getting better at photography! I seriously covet this pen. Your excellent review is not making abstaining from buying it any easier. :embarrassed_smile:

Thanks for the great review. Could we see a writing sample from both the Premiere and the Encore?

Sure!

http://rongilmour.info/images/ene/ENE_ENP_writing2.jpg

Both writing samples with Iroshizuku Asa-gao.

Great review! I also purchased an Encore as soon as they were available. I chose the Turquoise and really like it. I agree that the cap band and medallion on the flat top add an extra special touch. I've been thinking of trying it as an eyedropper because, to be honest, the tight fit on the converter bugs me a bit. I also found the nib to be a bit scratchy compared to the #6, but I've smoothed it, and that helped. Overall, it's a lovely pen...a real jewel in my collection. I'd recommend it thumbup.gif

Tamara

Great review! I also purchased an Encore as soon as they were available. I chose the Turquoise and really like it. I agree that the cap band and medallion on the flat top add an extra special touch. I've been thinking of trying it as an eyedropper because, to be honest, the tight fit on the converter bugs me a bit. I also found the nib to be a bit scratchy compared to the #6, but I've smoothed it, and that helped. Overall, it's a lovely pen...a real jewel in my collection. I'd recommend it thumbup.gif

I am seriously coveting the turquoise Encore, myself. I am wondering about the scratchy bit, though. I am looking for a nice pen as my major birthday present, and want one that is not only lovely to look at, but also writes really smoothly. This turquoise one is the winner for looks (as least, in the price range that is possible for me!), but the scratchy part makes me think again. How did you smooth it?

Question Reality

...I am seriously coveting the turquoise Encore, myself. I am wondering about the scratchy bit, though. I am looking for a nice pen as my major birthday present, and want one that is not only lovely to look at, but also writes really smoothly. This turquoise one is the winner for looks (as least, in the price range that is possible for me!), but the scratchy part makes me think again. How did you smooth it?

I bought one of the nib smoothing kits from Richard Binder, with brass shim and micromesh sheets. It amazes me how those few things can make a difference. I've smoothed several of my 'cheaper' pens and found them to write much better afterwards. Of course, I didn't use the brass shim on the Encore, as the ink flow was fine. I only used the micromesh. Hope that helps :)

Tamara

I found that the low-budget nib smoothing technique of scribbling on a paper bag did wonders for my Encore nib.

I wonder if the nibs are being checked before going out - but I'm really curious about the tight fit of the converter you mention.

Can you be more specific about that? What do you mean? Tight fit in the barrel?

Does it meet the end of the inside of the barrel, as if the hole may not be deep enough?

Brian showed me this today at the Pen Show. It is really lovely in person, and very comfortable in the hand. Of course, I love the size of the Pelikan 400/M400 pens, too.

Enjoy this beautiful pen.

I wonder if the nibs are being checked before going out - but I'm really curious about the tight fit of the converter you mention.

Does it meet the end of the inside of the barrel, as if the hole may not be deep enough?

To me it seems there's only just enough width in the barrel to fit the converter. It fits, but just barely. It's not a problem really, but I'm neurotic when my ink is getting low and I keep checking the level in the converter (I'm the same with notebooks that have just a few pages left...see, I'm neurotic). When screwing the barrel back on, I do have to line things up just right or I bump them. No damage or anything is likely; it just seems...weird. But like I said, I'm neurotic mellow.gif

Tamara

very nice review thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I think there's plenty of room at the bottom of the barrel. I was referring to the bore of the barrel seeming kind of tight around the converter. The converter has almost no wiggle-room in there.

I can't think of a reason why this would be a problem--it just struck me as unusual.

Here's a photo showing the converter next to the barrel, with the pen lined up to show about where the converter would sit if the barrel were screwed on.

http://rongilmour.info/images/ene/ENE_converter.jpg

The barrel is pretty small diameter. In order to make the barrel as strong as possible, the converter is a precise fit. I want the walls to be as thick as possible to keep it strong. If the converter is rubbing inside to a point that it bothers you, email me.