#1 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2012 - 16:28

Rumors of Parker's death seem premature, judging from this Reuters article about Newell Rubbermaid strategy:

BOCA RATON, Fla., Feb 22 (Reuters) - Newell Rubbermaid Inc is placing bets on $7,500 Parker pens and eco-friendly janitors' buckets as it tries to grow in emerging markets.

Newell is focusing on countries such as
Brazil and China after years of trimming costs and improving margins gave it the ability to even think about putting such a growth plan into place. The ideas discussed on Wednesday by President and Chief Executive Michael Polk mark a transformation at Newell, best known by many for its Rubbermaid storage containers.

"We had great brands but we weren't really unlocking their full potential," said Polk, who became CEO in July after serving on Newell's board for two years. "The more I dig, the more convinced I am that we have a lot of opportunity to grow."

<snip>

Areas where Newell wants to "win bigger" include a variety of items from pens to janitors' mop buckets.

<P dir=ltr><snip>

Meanwhile, workers who want to celebrate their success can do so with a fancy pen, such as the Parker Duofold Golden Dragon which sells for about $7,500 in China.

"Parker is on fire" in countries such as China, Polk said

<snip>

Full article at http://www.reuters.c...E8DMCHR20120222

Incidentally, The 2011 Anual Report seems to have a Parker nib on the cover.

Edited by welch, 24 April 2012 - 16:28.

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#2 Mhawke7894

Mhawke7894

Extremely Rare

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 23:32

I just want to see them make more special and limited editions, or go really crazy and make a new fountain pen.

#3 professionaldilettante

professionaldilettante

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 23:43

Just makes you wonder how fast can you break a industrial grade janitorial bucket to make that a viable industry?
The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.
Blaise Pascal

Posted Image

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

#4 writedude

writedude

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2012 - 20:50

I sincerely hope they don't outsource jotter production there, then they'll be nothing but junk.

#5 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:20

I sincerely hope they don't outsource jotter production there, then they'll be nothing but junk.

Too late, Jotter 'premiums' are made in China...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

#6 MisterP

MisterP

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:55

This is a thread that has been rerun more than a few times in this forum. If you look at Jotter premium, Urban, IM, they are all at least as well made as their US or Europe made predecessors. Over the years the Jotters made in Europe and previously in USA had gradually cheaper components in order to reduce costs. China is now being pushed by NR for the simple reason that it is one of the few real opportunities for growing sales. Biggest decline in recent years has been USA where Papermate is booming. What does that tell you about who cares about quality and who goes for disposable, cheap and cheerful.

#7 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2012 - 19:29

This is a thread that has been rerun more than a few times in this forum. If you look at Jotter premium, Urban, IM, they are all at least as well made as their US or Europe made predecessors. Over the years the Jotters made in Europe and previously in USA had gradually cheaper components in order to reduce costs. China is now being pushed by NR for the simple reason that it is one of the few real opportunities for growing sales. Biggest decline in recent years has been USA where Papermate is booming. What does that tell you about who cares about quality and who goes for disposable, cheap and cheerful.

+1

Parker stopped making pens in America when Americans stopped buying Parker.

China and India are by far the largest markets for fountain pens and quality writing instruments.
Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Premium Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, 21 Super Red, Vac Jr. Black, 51 MK1 Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 MK1 Demi Black, 51 MK1 Demi Teal, 51 MK1 Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Sub. Deb. Black.

#8 79spitfire

79spitfire

No the car is NOT painted with Bay State Blue..

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:33

The Jotter premium I looked at looked cheesy next to my UK and US made pens. I would suggest if they wanted my business, they would spend more time on QC. (I don't have a French made one yet, but I'm sure it will come soon!)

And If I'm willing to pay $30 for a Monteverde one touch, $19 wouldn't be too much for a quality Parker...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!Neko_animated.gif
Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png