Onoto Charles Dickens Nickelby

PeterBeoworld

My Nickleby arrived yesterday resplendent in pearlescent red and tipped with a broad stub custom nib.

Packaging The pen arrived in a modest parcel, inside which was a cardboard outer box with a burr wood inner box lined with velvet containing the certificate of authenticity

. http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5465/6925279644_9410813677.jpg

outer-box by mcevedy, on Flickr

In addition, there was some literature, a pen cloth and a couple of small international cartridges, a converter being placed in the pen itself. I feel the box is about right for what is an expensive pen but not over the top.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/7071356321_0f174dd813.jpg

literature by mcevedy, on Flickr

Appearance Well I didn't pick this pen to be retiring, and it is certainly not!! Bold red pearlescent stripes are interspersed with black acrylic stripes with a thin white pinstripe separating the two. There are four red and 4 black stripes. The cap matches the body and when screwed up, the stripes align. The cap screws on with 3 and a half full turns, which is one full turn more than my wife's Onoto Cambridge. The cap will post and pushes on and stays firmly positioned. The three bands and clip are sterling silver, with the hallmark appearing on the centre band. The button on the end of the body is plain silver with the top of the cap showing the company logo , again in silver. The section is plain black acrylic with a raised rim before reaching the nib. The pen weighs 25g and without the cap is about 15g. The size is identical to my other Magna.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5325/6925279810_7e09578a7c.jpg

pen-in-box by mcevedy, on Flickr

Nib The standard nib is a two tone gold plated steel nib, but I ordered the optional 18ct gold nib with a custom broad stub. This is, as expected, very smooth and firm, though with slightly less variation in line than I would have liked. I dare say I will grow to love it though!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5345/7071356613_92777dddc2.jpg

nib by mcevedy, on Flickr

Filling This is the standard cartridge converter, and has a good quality converter provided as well as two small international size cartridges. Convenient and easy to clean, if a bit less exciting than the plunger system! A quick sample of doctor's writing!!

Edited by PeterBeoworld

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PeterBeoworld

• Jonst

• Malcy

• breaker

Thanks for the review Peter.

Very nice pen. I am increasingly tempted by an Onoto but I might just wait to see the production version of the Mammoth.

Enjoy

Jon

I must admit, I was afraid to look because...well, look at my FPN name. That's usually my reaction headsmack.gif This looks quite lovely, and I am tempted. Thank you for the review. It's nice to see reviews of Onoto pens popping up. I'm curious about them.

Tamara

Looked at that as well on my recent trip to London. Even though it was a quick business trip from the US I certainly found time to stop at Pen Friend. Heaven on earth for those of us who are addicted and from the hinterlands BTW.

That pen was very tempting but I had my heart set on a YoL. Yet Onoto won out as I will post soon on the forum.

Fantastic pick-up thanks,

Post Script

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The Nickleby is a great looking pen, but then all of the Onoto range are great looking :) The Dickens range is superb with my favourite in the range being the Chuzzlewit - silly name but a lovely looking pen. I suppose it would be a good idea to go to one of the Pen Shows for a closer look. Anyone know when and where the next show will be?

The Nickleby is a great looking pen, but then all of the Onoto range are great looking :) The Dickens range is superb with my favourite in the range being the Chuzzlewit - silly name but a lovely looking pen. I suppose it would be a good idea to go to one of the Pen Shows for a closer look. Anyone know when and where the next show will be?

Always a good idea to handle a pen if you are interested. The Chuzzlewit is a lovely looking pen and I have one on order - my Christmas present to myself :cloud9: As to the next Pen Show, that will be the South West Show which if my information is correct will be on Sunday 10th February in Bristol. That is one of my favourite Pen Shows along with the Midland Pen Show which usually takes place sometime in June. Only problem with those shows is that one of the organisers who will be nameless (Ian knows who he is :roflmho: ) tries to get some of us inebriated the night before :rolleyes: .

Go along to the South West Pen Show if you can - and if Onoto are there, I am sure that you will soon be the proud owner of a Chuzzlewit shortly afterwards.