Yet Another Twsbi Micarta Review

danahn17

I know there’s a lot of TWSBI Micarta reviews already but since I never actually wrote a review of any sort on the FPN, I figured starting with a just-released pen would be a good start :)

After taking nearly two weeks to get here (despite being order number 28), the pen finally arrived! The padded envelope contained a dark cardboard box (you can click the pictures to see a larger version I think):

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/52/752/1/53/85/2155153850049126107czQPqK_th.jpg http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/52/752/9/83/20/2099983200049126107BDlATY_th.jpg http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/81/81/6/55/13/2080655130049126107DgzEGJ_th.jpg

I know some people have criticized the Micarta for its packaging, especially compared to the beautiful, Apple-esque packaging of the Diamond 530/540. I can see where they are coming from. However, I do feel that the general look and feel of the packaging complements the pen very well. That being said, it’d be nice if future iterations of the packaging would use a little harder material like a heavier grade cardboard, or perhaps chipboard or even Micarta (though admittedly, I have no idea how much more that would affect the price).

Now for the pen itself! :) I chose a clipless model with a fine nib.

The first thing I noticed was the texture of the pen. It felt different in person than I had expected (based on pictures alone). The pictures give an impression that the pen would feel somewhat rough… but in actuality, it’s quite smooth. The grip section has a little bit of texture to it but it is very slight. Nonetheless, it has a very different feeling from plastic and metal pens. It has an organic, warm feel to it. It’s not as quite as organic a feeling as say a wooden pen or pencil, but it’s still a nice, comfortable feeling holding the pen.

The look of the pen is probably one of the more controversial parts about the pen. I like it; it has a rustic look that reminds me of art supplies and Asian calligraphy brushes. One thing to note is each pen is going to look a little different. Mine has almost (but not quite) matching cap and body. The cap also has some dark lines on it (see below). I kind of view it as unique “deformities” that give the pen character, much like how wood can have deformities in its grain. While I personally don’t mind, if you really wanted the pen to look uniform, then it may bother you, especially since you can’t really tell what you are going to get until it arrives at your doorstep. Just food for thought. Also, while I don't mind the engraved TWSBI and the TWSBI name (I'm guessing) in Chinese characters, I wasn't a big fan of the model number engraved at the top (the 803).

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/52/752/1/8/90/2891108900049126107rwUjue_th.jpg http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/90/90/7/37/28/2620737280049126107PpSnqZ_th.jpg

I also like the cleanness of the pen as I ordered it without a clip. But you definitely have to be a little more watchful with the pen or else it may decide to roll of the table and kill itself :) It’d have been nice if there was something in the design to prevent that (like the 540)… but at the same time, doing so would probably take away from the clean design of the pen too.

Unscrewing the cap took about 4.5 turns (though I have smaller sized hands). The body took me over 10 turns! It may be a pain to unscrew but I don’t expect to have to do it that often. Plus, it will create a very nice seal if you decide to convert the pen to an eyedropper (something I believe some forum members are already experimenting with). I think this pen might be the first pen I’d be comfortable converting into an eyedropper. There were also some concerns about the threading wearing down over time… I’m not a materials expert by any means… but the threading was pretty hard and seemed sturdy to me. I’m not too worried about it (plus, knowing Speedy, I’m sure he’d take care of me if something did happen :) )

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/87/187/1/96/76/2146196760049126107ShwEQr_th.jpg

The converter works well. I have no problems with it. It holds a decent amount of ink too, though probably not as much as the 540. I already have ADD with inks and have a compulsion to switch colors and inks on a regular basis, so I don’t mind :embarrassed_smile:

Here's a picture of the nib alongside a TWSBI 540 nib modified by Pendleton Brown:

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/52/752/2/12/24/2193212240049126107jBoWxg_th.jpg

Here is a writing sample done on Rhodia grid paper (sorry for the chicken scratch).

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/86/86/0/15/87/2304015870049126107eDVUnH_th.jpg

You can see that the TWSBI’s fine (the nib is made in Germany) is thicker than a Japanese fine.

At any rate, since this post is getting ridiculously long, I’ll leave it at that. I’m happy with my pen. I realize it's not everybody's cup of tea but for me, it's a lovely cup of tea :)

I’ll (maybe) update this once in a while as I get more mileage on the pen. There's a few more pictures on my webshots account. Sorry about the quality; they're all taken with my cell phone :headsmack: . You can see them here.

Edited by danahn17

[url="http://i-think-ink.tumblr.com/"]thINK[/url]: my pen & paper blog :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danahn17

• Angry__Panda

• wrath186

• Phormio

Just a quick update. I tried using a blue ink with the Micarta (Sailor Jentle Yamadori) and some of the ink got onto the section. There's actually a little blue staining there now. It's not immediately obvious... but if you look carefully, you can tell. So, yes, this pen can stain. Not a big deal for me but thought I'd share (will post pictures later!).

Secondly, the nib's smoothness was a little shortlived. It alternates between writing well and being a hard starter. I'm sure there's a little issue going on with the nib that I'll have to take care of.

Despite those issues, I am still a fan of the pen! :)

I wish I had read your post about it staining before I colored my pen in with Noodler's X-feather thinking I can easily wipe it off :crybaby: So now instead of the light sandy streak that was there (which was why I was coloring it in) there's a black streak instead sigh...

I think I'm going to try to sand it down and color it in with some PR Chocolat instead.

So with the staining...Has anyone just filled the converter with ink and then put it in the pen? Obviously this will make starting the pen somewhat difficult but worth it if it doesn't stain?

What inks have you all used that you haven't had staining problems with? I would be crushed if my pen stained, I am super OCD in terms of that kind of stuff (super glad I had some brown ink laying around for the first fill).

Thanks danahn17 for the review. Sounds like you're on your way to getting a good patina on this pen.

So with the staining...Has anyone just filled the converter with ink and then put it in the pen? Obviously this will make starting the pen somewhat difficult but worth it if it doesn't stain?

What inks have you all used that you haven't had staining problems with? I would be crushed if my pen stained, I am super OCD in terms of that kind of stuff (super glad I had some brown ink laying around for the first fill).

Don't ask me why, but that is how I filled my Micarta with the cartridge out of the pen. For what ever the reason I just chose that method on this pen.

What inks have you all used that you haven't had staining problems with?

At first I filled the converter directly from the ink bottle, but you can also fill the converter directly from the attachment point on one of the TWSBI ink bottles as well.

For now I am using just Noodlers #41 Brown ink in my Micarta.

[color="#000080"][size="3"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Les[/font][/size][/color]

I think the pen makers should be clear that one pen is prone to ink stains before the customer buy the pen. :headsmack:

Here's a picture of the ink stain (again, click to enlarge):

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/90/90/1/55/68/2431155680049126107NwfbWp_th.jpg

It's a little hard to see (sorry about the cellphone pic) but if you look carefully, you notice the section closer to the nib looks a little more blue. The ink didn't spend too much time on the section... I just dipped the pen to suck up ink then wiped off the excess. The stain was a little more noticeable but wiping it down a little more with a wet paper towel helped remove more ink. But there is still a stain.

I think if you are worried about staining but still want the Micarta, filling via converter is probably the best way to go. I don't know if it will work but perhaps spraying something like stain repellent may help? Here's a link to one I found on Amazon (I don't know how well it would work though).

At the very least, I'd suggest avoiding bulletproof inks. :)

Edited by danahn17

I think the pen makers should be clear that one pen is prone to ink stains before the customer buy the pen. :headsmack:

I've only seen micarta used as scales for knife handles. Primary components can be paper, linen or in some instances canvas. As such it is vunerable to staining. I've never seen brown micarta, I've only seen it in black on certain knives. I would assumed that manufacturers do it in black to hide any staining that would result from repeated use.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I haven't held or ordered a micarta yet, so what I am about to say is based off the reviews I've read here.

Caveat given, here goes:

For $100 it seems like people are buying a $75 pen.. When I first saw it, I wanted one. Given my financial position atm, I held off. Now it seems to have been enforced reason.

So far, the points I've picked up on is 1. it has a limited range of nibs, and they're all hard as nails. 2. it's a c/c filling system. 3. it stains.

Looking at the pen, it has the design in shape and materials that could make it an instant classic. Just seeing how people are divided here seems to support it. But classics, in any sphere, are a combination of classic or inspirational lines with functioning that is superb. What I am seeing here is a standard writer with a pretty face.

IMHO looks alone may give this pen a cult following but a classic it wont make. And to me this represents an opportunity lost.

I'd like to make some suggestions as to improvement and hopefully Speedy, you'll read this (reply if you do!!)

1. Nibs: At the moment its a limited choice, all in hard. Want to enthral your customers and justify the asking price? Give us variety in the nibs. People should be able to order from fine to OB or italic. And they should have a choice ranging from hard nibs to flexible. I am sure in getting nibs there are costs to be considered in determining if this is feasible but in a saturated but ultimately luxury market of fountain pens, choice helps separate you from the competition as it gives the buyer incentive to purchase your pen as they can customise it to their needs, not just your production run.

2. Filling system. Whilst i know luxury companies like Visconti still make you pay through the nose for a converter system pen, really it is a lot to ask for a pen that is neither a piston or vacuum filler. Now, given the material you use there is obvious reasons why it can be a straight piston (fibres in the feed) BUT is it possible to either insert a resin chamber for the ink or coat the insisde of the barrel in a resin and polish it? Again there are obvious costs in redesign and machining BUT the tooling exists to make the current pen AND the tooling exists for the soon to be released Vac pen. Merge the two? And so not to damage the lines and visuals of the pen, you could manufacture the push and pull fill system on this pen that visconti uses. No blind cap, just a button on the end which you push down and release before pulling up. And that push and release cant be that hard, similar concept is used on ball point pens, lamp buttons, electric fans, etc.

3. Staining. Keep the current brown range, it looks good. Eventually, make it available in black as well to keep those who like their pens pretty, happy.

Now I'm no marketing guru but with the pen's current appearance, with choice of clip or clipless models, incorporated with these suggestions of choice of nibs and vac filler, and, going out on a limb here, I reckon you would have an instant classic. A pen well worth owning. Moreover, I think you'll have a pen that will make the competition take notice in this overpriced writing stick market.

In fact, if you could produce what I suggested, I reckon you could sell it for at least $125. And if you did that, I'll give you $250 for two of them.

In the mean time, I dont think I'll trade in my 530's (which since getting them have written faultlessly and hold a heap of ink, and are the easiest pens to maintain) for a pen that I sincerely hope is genesis of something better

P

Lots of wants, limited funds!

Well I went through my ink sample that was brown, I have another one but really want to put some different ink in my Micarta. So I guess here goes nothing, thanks for the info on filling the converter, I am gonna do that and see how long it takes to get it running the way I like.

After writing with my Micarta for about a week, I'm still pleased with the purchase. It's already starting to change a bit in appearance (the shade is smoothing out a little, if that makes sense). I've decided that it's writing too dry for my taste--at some point, I'll adjust the nib but this issue isn't a big deal. No sign of staining yet, but I've been using brown inks thus far. A question for Speedy: What have been the reports thus far re: staining? Is there a coating that you'd recommend to keep staining to a minimum? I'm wondering about a silicon waterproofing spray or the like.

I believe Micarta is a very porous material, especially after it is shaped and nothing is used to seal the material.

None the less, the pen just speaks to me and it might just be the first new fountain pen I will have bought in a while.

Very nice review, and the first I've read on the Micarta TWSBI.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!