33 replies to this topic

#1 waterobey

waterobey

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 20:18

Does anyone on here draw with fountain pens? My 11 year old is an artist and he loves drawing using a variety of pens. Recently, I got him some Faber anime markers. He has never used a fountain pen though. If anyone uses them to draw, which should I look at for him? thanks!

#2 MyNoblePen

MyNoblePen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 20:28

Rotring makes a art pen. I draw with my fountains. I tend to have more favorable results with the wetter writing nibs that I own.

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 20:50

I haven't (yet). I was thinking that a broader nib might work better than a fine one (somewhat echoing MyNoblePen's comments). I may try using the Guanleming calligraphy pen I just got, but haven't had a chance to ink it up yet -- been having to deal with other stuff besides pens for the most part today (including stoopie hotel reservation sites...) :bonk: .
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 ravantra

ravantra

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 20:52

Here is one artist who uses a FP among other media.

http://www.gentianosman.com/
Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.
Posted Image

#5 coleam

coleam

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 21:18

Does anyone on here draw with fountain pens? My 11 year old is an artist and he loves drawing using a variety of pens. Recently, I got him some Faber anime markers. He has never used a fountain pen though. If anyone uses them to draw, which should I look at for him? thanks!

I doodle occasionally with my Ahab, but I'm not much of an artist. However, the Goulets coincidentally had a blog post last week about fountain pen art: http://www.inknouveau.com/

A basic flex pen like the Ahab or the Noodler's Flex would be both inexpensive and fun to play with for an artist, due to the line variation. You can get anywhere from a very fine line to a very broad line in a single stroke, which is great for adding perspective and emphasis to a drawing. Finer pens can also be used to ink line drawings, and I've seen some people using water-soluble inks to create washes (ink a drawing, then brush it with water to add shading).

#6 linearM

linearM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 21:27

I have been using primarily a fountain pen for my drawing for about 6 years. I like a fine nib for drawing. My pen of choice for drawing is a Namiki Falcon, too costly for an 11 year old and I think a TWSBI might be too large and heavy. A refurbished Esterbrook might be just the thing. They are relatively inexpensive, have interchangeable nibs, and are smaller and a better fit for a child sized hand. Some of them have beautiful plastic which might have some appeal and a refurbished Esterbrook often runs in the $35.00 range. A Lamy Safari might be another good choice, they can be found in art supply stores and could be touched and held to see how they fit the individuals hand. They are durable and fairly inexpensive but some complain about the grip but they can be used with a cartridge or converter. An Esterbrook would have to use bottled ink.

I'm a retired elementary art teacher and remember using a fountain pen for drawing when I was in upper elementary (I think mine was an Esterbrook). I enjoy using my fountain pen to do a drawing and then using a watercolor brush with water and going over areas to get sort of a wash effect.

Let me know if you get a pen for your 11 year old artist and how they like drawing with a fountain pen. PM me if I might be of any additional help.

#7 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,095 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 22:02

I draw with my fountain pens.

When i was his age i drew with Shaeffer school pens. Shaeffer has a $15 dollar pen the VFM out now that looks very good. FYI--These take standard international cartridges though not Shaeffer carts!!

People LOVE the Lamy Safari--i never cared for it.

The Noodler's Ahab is a great pen if you get a good one.

Parker makes THIS ONE--have not tried it may be bad!

I got THESEfor my nieces--they are 8 and 11 years old--they love them--get a medium or broad nib so it writes smoother

Hope that helps--I mostly draw with MB 149's with vintage flex nibs done by Richard Binder--a little excessive for a first pen!!

Edited by stevlight, 09 April 2012 - 22:02.

My Newest book all drawn with a Pelikan M1000 "Zephyr Takes Flight"
Posted Image
www.stevelightart.com

#8 bitterwonder

bitterwonder

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 902 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 23:25

My first fountain pen when I was 7 or 8 was a 1935 Waterman, which I used all througfh school and 50 years later still draw with.

Whatever pen, get your child one that flowswell, it is frustrating if a pen doesnt work properly.

The Rotring Art pen is nice but for me, a bit long to carry about. And to me the purpose of a fountain pen is to carry it about and draw with it.

My Lamy Safari works well, I often lend it to my coillege students.

Steve Light is quite knowlegeable and His suggestions are smart.

I hopoe your child gets a new notebook/sketchbook to use with the new pen.

#9 NedC

NedC

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2012 - 23:30

Yes, I prefer either Japanese fine and extra fine points for most work but then I'm used to crowquill steel dip pens which are fine and much scratchier than any fountain pen, or something a bit flexier like the aforementioned Noodler's Ahab which unfortunately takes a bit of work to work properly.

I must say that I love Lamys and Lamy Safaris with EF nibs are wonderful and can be nearly as fine as a Japanese pen, they are durable, comfortable, light, adaptable and colourful and have easily changed nibs.

A restored Esterbrook J series is a fantastic and reliable drawing pen though is probably more fragile than any of the other pens mentioned and is likely to be more expensive too.

Sailor makes some very interesting nibs that can give really interesting brush effects, namely the Zoom nib, which is available in steel on the 1911 Young/Somiko pen for about $50 - 60 from some ebay sellers in Japan, I really like mine for filling larger black areas and bold outlining, shadowing and the like. They also make a couple of bent nib calligraphy pens, not Western calligraphy but Kanji, they have long barrels and can be used much like a sumi brush. Jetpens.com sells calligraphy models for under $20. You can also get a lot of more conventional Japanese fountain pens like the Sailor Neo HighAce or the Platinum Preppy or Pilot Plumix for under $20.

Currently my favourite sketching pen is Pelikan m205 with a steel Condor nib from Richard Binder, it's a bit less excessive than stevlight's MB 149s but still a bit much for a first fountain pen.

#10 eliaselrod

eliaselrod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 23:32

I second the Noodler's flex pen -- not the Ahab, it may be too big -- because of the line variation. When I don't want to mess with flex, I use a Sailor Sapporo music nib and a Sailor 1911M extra fine nib. They are both put down a good wet line, with little or no skipping.

#11 waterobey

waterobey

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 00:08

Here is one artist who uses a FP among other media.

http://www.gentianosman.com/

wow, scary talent there.

#12 waterobey

waterobey

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 00:25

Thank you. Great answers, all. I have an old pelikan pen which i believe has interchangeable caligraphy nibs. Anyway, this one has a gold or gold filled non-caligraphy nib. I paid about 35.0o for it 20 years ago. I gave it to him tonight to see how he liked it. He definitely seemed keen to try it.

#13 ObserveClosely

ObserveClosely

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 00:37

The Pelikan P55 Future Fountain Pen with a medium nib is pretty rough n' tumble. I wouldn't hesitate to give one to an 11-year old. Fitted with a converter, it'd be a nice wet sketcher. And all told, less than thirty bucks.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#14 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• 1,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:19

Yes, and yes. When visiting Disneyland I carry a sketchbook with a Wingsung 237, and Esterbrook M2 with semi-flex nib loaded with Noodler's Black, and a Yellow Lamy Safari EFf loaded with Waterman's Havana Brown. Been doing this for years.
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#15 krz

krz

...just drawn that way.

• Member - Gold

• 1,297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:23

I like the Noodler's Ahab pen but I agree it might be too large for a smaller hand. So +1 for the Noodler's flex pen.

Also the vintage Osmiroid sketch nib can still be found on eBay. I've used one for many years and they will work in the venerable Esterbrook pens.
How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

#16 beak

beak

R82105N

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:51

I draw for a living - often picking up a fountain pen for quick concept sketches and so on. Many people find that a flexible or italic nib helps them because of its line variation - I find just the opposite, and greatly prefer a fine round nail because of the control and the consistency. Lamy Safari EFs are used a good deal, and for the price are very hard to fault.

Please tell us how it goes and maybe show some of the drawings?

Edited by beak, 10 April 2012 - 10:51.

Sincerely, beak. God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

#17 P.A.R.

P.A.R.

Eagle Scout studying Mechanical Engineering

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2012 - 13:15

I doodle occasionally with my Ahab, but I'm not much of an artist. However, the Goulets coincidentally had a blog post last week about fountain pen art: http://www.inknouveau.com/

A basic flex pen like the Ahab or the Noodler's Flex would be both inexpensive and fun to play with for an artist, due to the line variation. You can get anywhere from a very fine line to a very broad line in a single stroke, which is great for adding perspective and emphasis to a drawing. Finer pens can also be used to ink line drawings, and I've seen some people using water-soluble inks to create washes (ink a drawing, then brush it with water to add shading).

+1
Assume no affiliation to recommendations.
Posted Image
Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

#18 oldcards

oldcards

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2012 - 20:36

For what it's worth (and it isn't much) I too draw with fountain pens. Every cartoon I do for magazines now is drawn with a fountain pen.
I started out using fp only in my sketchbooks and sticking with dip pens and India ink for cartoons being submitted.
Oh, I used to search high and low for a new pen or ink to try, waiting for that perfect and magical combo that just spurted out cartoons. Spent tons of money and now I have drawers and cabinets full of pens, markers and inks.
I couldn't find a pen or marker that would give me a line with life and I could travel with. Trust me, you will get some looks from security in the airport when you travel with an assortment of dip pen nibs.
When I found the Noodler's flex pens, I fell in love. I love how they draw and I love the cheap price.
It's similar to spending lots of money on fancy and expensive sketchbooks. The more they cost, the less you draw in them. It's subconscious and over the years I have proved this theory to myself. I believe the same is for pens. Sure, I love my MB 146 but I won't be out at the park drawing with it. I certainly won't be forcing the nib or experimenting with it!

FPs have also made my drawing "less planned" and not so stiff. Although I am still quite stiff and spending a great deal of time loosening up my line.
I used pencil and then ink my art. I would work and re-work a piece to death, erasing pencil under dried ink. Scraping to make perfect lines.
Now, I may pencil a rough from time to time but I draw my finished pieces directly on clean board with fp and Noodler's ink.
My pens of choice are Ahab, 1936 Parker Vac, Lamy Safari and the standard Noodler's flex pens.
My kids love drawing with the standard sized Noodler's flex pens.

Below are a couple of cartoons from this week that were done with an Ahab and Noodler's ink.

Andy

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Gcouch

Gcouch

What can't Ducktape fix?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2012 - 00:05

I draw with a Manuscript calligraphy beginners pen. It was only $15, so it wasn't a bad buy for the money. It was my first FP, and was just lying around the house so i thought might as well get some use out of it.
...................__
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../ BROFIST
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(

#20 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:48

To oldcards:
Is the avatar art your work? Love it!
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstained ruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#21 BikerBabeDK

BikerBabeDK

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:01

I draw with my black Sheaffer No Nonsense, it's fairly wet when writing, so I thought it'd be good to draw with.
I tried it, and it works fine.
I found it at a thrift shop where I got 5 old fountain pens for the equivalent of a usd.
I brought the pens home, cleaned them and use 2 of them for writing and drawing.

Last weekend I went to the easter flea market at Forum, Copenhagen, and brought home 10 fountain pens for the equivalent of 17.5 usd; among them were a fully functional red Sheaffer No Nonsense, so now I've got another good drawing pen. ;)

Edited by BikerBabeDK, 11 April 2012 - 02:02.

#22 oldcards

oldcards

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:58

To oldcards:
Is the avatar art your work? Love it!
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstained ruth

Yes, the avatar is mine. Thank you!
It was one of my entries in the Noodler's contest.

#23 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky!

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:35

I use every pen I can get my hand on ... including markers and highlighters that I refill (handy-line S).

A glass pen
http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_500wt_1279

A refurbished Esterbrook

A TWSBI will likely be too heavy, so I'd go with a Pelikano jur.

A faber Castell kids rollerball.
When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice.

#24 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky!

• Moderators

• 8,171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:39

And here are a few samples

Posted Image

Visconti Blue and Noodler's Djinn

Posted Image

#25 JohnBFisher

JohnBFisher

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2013 - 23:52

I use a Noodler's Ink Ahab fountain pen. I'm quite pleased with the results. However, it does take a good bit of tinkering to get the flow just right for sketching. I'm not all the way there yet. It will take a good bit more tinkering to be able to get the flow that I need to keep up with broad lines and fast cross hatch marking. But here's an example of how it can appear:

20130817_Ashworth_075dpi.jpg

I drew this on a Daler Rowney The Langton Prestige (100% cotton) hot press 140lb watercolor block. I used water to wash the Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia ink. By washing it pretty quickly (within 20 to 30 seconds) after drawing you can use the ink to provide the value (light or dark) of the painting. But once the ink dries, it's quite bullet proof. I added the watercolor washes and had NO running or change to the ink.

#26 GemMayhem

GemMayhem

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:00

JohnBFisher,

Firstly, Welcome to FPN!!

Secondly, thanks for sharing your lovely artwork! I love how you've washed the ink to provide value without losing the permanence of the ink. Very nice!!

#27 JulesSilvan

JulesSilvan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:36

The fountain pens that I use for drawing are Lamy Safari/Vista EF, Rotring ArtpenEF/F, and a Reform 1745 which is great for quickly getting ideas down. My favourite pens for just picking up and drawing wherever have to be the Pentel brushpen and a Kuretake Fudegokochi, always fun to use. Just let him experiment with different types of pen to see which work best for him. 

#28 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• 891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:59

You mention getting him anime markers, so if he likes anime/manga, he might like something like this: http://www.jetpens.c...ack-Ink/pd/4577

Also, he might like a manga called Bakuman, which is all about drawing manga. :)

#29 SallyLyn

SallyLyn

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 21:34

Sounds like you have found a pen for him to start. Would also suggest an inexpensive pen like a Hero 616. They have nice nibs, good flow and there is a Regular size you can probably still find that is smaller around, more like a Parker "51" Demi. The larger size is called a Jumbo. The nibs have no flex but should last forever. Great for everyday use, thrown in a backpack and if dropped, easily replaced.

#30 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky!

• Moderators

• 8,171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:07

I use a Noodler's Ink Ahab fountain pen. I'm quite pleased with the results. However, it does take a good bit of tinkering to get the flow just right for sketching. I'm not all the way there yet. It will take a good bit more tinkering to be able to get the flow that I need to keep up with broad lines and fast cross hatch marking. But here's an example of how it can appear:

20130817_Ashworth_075dpi.jpg

I drew this on a Daler Rowney The Langton Prestige (100% cotton) hot press 140lb watercolor block. I used water to wash the Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia ink. By washing it pretty quickly (within 20 to 30 seconds) after drawing you can use the ink to provide the value (light or dark) of the painting. But once the ink dries, it's quite bullet proof. I added the watercolor washes and had NO running or change to the ink.

WOW this is stunning!  Thank you!