Montegrappa Extra 1930 Rollerball

Braindrain

Ok, I'm still fairly new to the pen world and - don't judge me here - work in a world where FP users don't exist. So, there are a few folks with nicer pens and rollerballs, but no FP. And, I personally prefer the RBs.

I had found this site a few months before and, as a result, decided to purchase a Omas Bologna rollerball. That was a beautiful pen with the resin having a depth that was similar to celluloid. But, those words "similar to celluloid" had me wondering. That is, how does it really compare to celluloid?

That question started my small quest to buy a celluloid pen that I liked. As I started looking, I found out there are many different celluloid styles that are characteristic of different "eras" of pen manufacture. I finally settled on the Montegrappa Miya or Extra 1930. I thought the Miya in turquoise was exquisite. However, I did think the colour was too close to my Omas Bologna and I really just couldn't get over the "hump" design. Then, the Extra 1930 just really spoke to me. I just loved the design, thought it was a large and portly pen but not too much, and was just amazed with the turtle brown celluloid. However, the one downside was the MSRP. After some searching, I finally found what I was looking for.

First impressions - The pen came in a really heavy ash wood box. The inside is lined in leather and came with a leather "placemat" (for lack of a better term) and a polishing cloth. Very impressive.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/mon8.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/mon7.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/mon6.jpg

Appearance and Design - 10/10 - This is a large pen and makes its' presence known. The turtle brown celluloid, as mentioned earlier, as mesmerizing. In fact, I had gotten a RB refill for it from a local pen shop, and the first words from the owner was "that's a gorgeous resin". :thumbup: As for the size, it's not especially long but it is thicker than my MB or Omas. But, it's still very easy to hold and doesn't have the "hump" characteristic of the Miya. Reading the Montegrappa website, it seems the design was based on a model from the 1930's. Personally, this design seems to really speak to me as my Omas is similar.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/mon5.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/mon4.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/mon3.jpg

Construction and Quality - 10/10 This is a substantial pen. It feels solid without being heavy. Once you pick it up and use it, it exudes quality construction (unlike my MB). The pen isn't heavy and my hand won't tire from writing with it. However, the pen does feel more balanced when it's posted. There are sterling silver accents (I guess wherever there is exposed metal) and wonder whether that's going to be a pain in the future. However, I certainly can't fault them for using silver over stainless steel. As mentioned before, this is a solid pen and you just know when you pick it up and use it.

It's worth mentioning that older reviews mention a beef with the number of turns it takes to unscrew the cap. I did notice this but it really doesn't bother me. It'll take a few seconds more but really, I like the feel of the pen in my hands so it's certainly not a pain.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/mon2.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/Braindrain232/Pens/mon1.jpg

Weight and Dimensions - 9.5/10 - From a website, the overall size is 5 5/16" x 11/16" (135mm x 17mm). The body is 4 7/8" x 9/16" (122mm x 15mm) while the cap is 2 1/4" x 11/16" (57mm x 17mm). The overall weight is 2.5 oz (40 g). Why did I knock it 0.5 points? Because it won't fit into my current pen holders and it'll cost me to buy a new one. Yeah, that'll ding it 0.5 points. :headsmack:

Nib and Performance - n/a - Since it's not a FP, I can't comment on this.

Filling System and Maintenance - n/a - Again , not a FP.

Cost and Value - 7/10 This is a tough one. Yes, a real celluloid pen isn't cheap. Add in the fact that it's a Montegrappa, has silver accents, and comes in a substantial box. The MSRP on the RB is $775 and the the FP is $1275. $775 for a RB? Montegrappa, seriously? For these prices, it's not even an LE. Yes, it's a gorgeous pen and I expect to pay for quality, but those prices are pushing it. It took me a while to find a sympathetic seller but I did get it substantially discounted. At my new price, I could raise the value quotient to 8.5/10.

Conclusion (Final Score - 5/6) There are really no complaints about the construction and quality of the pen. It is top notch all around and I'm going to use it, in rotation, as my daily pen. The price is what's keeping it from a perfect score. However, I've had enough experience in other areas to know that it'll cost less in the long run if I just buy what I want rather than eventually getting it. :bonk:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Braindrain

• Ghost Plane

• IWantThat

• breaker

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, sometimes, a rollerball just works better for a given task, and there's nothing wrong with having a beautiful one! I have a Visconti Homo Sapiens rollerball that I love. I have to admit that every time I use it I wish it were the fountain pen instead embarrassed_smile.gif

I'm tempted to buy rollerball pens sometimes when the fountain pen is cost prohibitive. So, nice review of a beautiful pen thumbup.gif Enjoy it in good health.

Edited by IWantThat

Tamara

I have the FP version in a B nib and the translucence of the tortoise is quite unique from the other colors of this pen.

Glad you're enjoying it. :thumbup:

I have the FP version in a B nib and the translucence of the tortoise is quite unique from the other colors of this pen.

Glad you're enjoying it. :thumbup:

Thanks. You're quite right about the translucence of the tortoise. It really has to be seen to be fully appreciated.

A rollerball with big weight and metal section...hm...must be a pain to hold

Actually, not at all. My fingers naturally stop at the curve in the metal section and the pen is quite well balanced. Is it heavier than my MB? Sure, but it's not the overall weight that's important. Rather, it's the balance of the pen that counts.