Hoover De Luxe

SmoutKa

Hello,

I have an old pen on my desk. Found it decades ago in a drawer at home.

The barrel says 'Hoover de luxe' and 'fountain pen'.

post-84424-0-42555100-1333550224.jpg

Nib inscription 1st quality 14k 585

Grey striated celluloid, button filler. post-84424-0-47271600-1333550244.jpg

Dipping tells me it has quite some flex, and writes nicely. It is my only old FP, so I can't compare it.

FPN search teaches me: Japanese, 2nd tier brand, or maybe Italian, 3rd tier brand, 1930s?

My questions: there is no movement in the button, so it doesn't fill. What should I do?

There is a split in the cap. Must be possible to fix.

post-84424-0-24319100-1333550324.jpg

And last but nog least: I am a curious guy. Could I open the pen myself? I'd love to see what magic the button should perform.

Karel

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SmoutKa

• stan

• AltecGreen

• Pickwick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pen is with pretty high certainty not a Japanese pen. I've never seen a Japanese button filler. The question of whether a Japanese button filler exists has been asked before and no one has come forth with an example. Japanese pens of that era would most likely be a lever filler or Japanese eye dropper.

As for an Italian pen, possibly although more likely in an indirect way. I've never heard of an Italian brand called 'Hoover' but there could be one. You might be confusing Hoover and the Italian brand 'Hoower'

I would wager that the pen was made for the Netherlands. There was a Hoover active in the Netherlands. The pen was probably assembled in the Netherlands from parts acquired from other countries. Thus the pen could be 'Italian' or 'German' in a way. As another example, Merlin pens were sold primarily in the Dutch market but were made in Germany.

The pen probably needs at least a new sac and possibly a new pressure bar. This is a fairly 'easy' repair. If you want to try you can look for instructions in the repair forum. Remember if this is your first repair of this type, there is a good chance you will destroy something so weigh your options carefully if you care about this pen.

The crack in the barrel can be fixed but this is an advanced repair and would be best left to an expert. The cost will be pretty high and far more than the pen's worth.

Edited by AltecGreen

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Tyler Dahl's on vacation, but he's fixed cracks before and he's reasonable. You might try dropping him a line.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Interesting! I found pictures of similar looking Hoovers - they were supposed to be Japanese.

The insciption on the barrel is Hoover, not Hoower.

Replacing sac and pressure bar should be affordable, and since the crack is in the cap, i think I can live with it.

And it surely is a nice writer, so I think I'll go for 'just a service' restoration.

The pen is with pretty high certainty not a Japanese pen. I've never seen a Japanese button filler. The question of whether a Japanese button filler existed has been asked before and no one has come forth with an example. Japanese pens of that era would most likely be a lever filler or Japanese eye dropper.

As for an Italian pen, possibly although more likely in an indirect way. I've never heard of an Italian brand called 'Hoover' but there could be one. You might be confusing Hoover and the Italian brand 'Hoower'

I would wager that the pen was made for the Netherlands. There was a Hoover active in the Netherlands. The pen was probably assembled in the Netherlands from parts acquired from other countries. Thus the pen could be 'Italian' or 'German' in a way. As another example, Merlin pens were sold primarily in the Dutch market but were made in Germany.

The pen probably needs at least a new sac and possibly a new pressure bar. This is a fairly 'easy' repair. If you want to try you can look for instructions in the repair forum. Remember if this is your first repair of this type, there is a good chance you will destroy something so weigh your options carefully if you care about this pen.

The crack in the barrel can be fixed but this is an advanced repair and would be best left to an expert. The cost will be pretty high and far more than the pen's worth.

I have had two Japanese pens that were button fillers. Both were pre-war. Based on the type of feed, if your pen was Japanese, your pen would be post-war. My assumption is that my pens were made by the Navy Pen Company in Yokusuka as one had a Navy nib. As best I know the mechanism squeezes a lever inside the barrel which then compresses or releases the the air space.

Your pen doesn't look like either of the two pens I had and I assume it to be European. For it to be Japanese the nib would likely be Japanese too. Yours does not have that look and if it did would be either a generic model or have JIS stamped near the base.

My money is on Italian.

Good luck.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Thanks for all the input. So, there might be Japanese buttonfillers after all. But preferrably post-war. Mine looks pre-war to me.

You suggest a Dutch-market oriented make - probably from leftover parts.

I don't believe the Italian link, because I found https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/186806-vintage-italian-manufacturer/.

Hello,

I have an old pen on my desk. Found it decades ago in a drawer at home.

The barrel says 'Hoover de luxe' and 'fountain pen'.

post-84424-0-42555100-1333550224.jpg

Nib inscription 1st quality 14k 585

Grey striated celluloid, button filler. post-84424-0-47271600-1333550244.jpg

Dipping tells me it has quite some flex, and writes nicely. It is my only old FP, so I can't compare it.

FPN search teaches me: Japanese, 2nd tier brand, or maybe Italian, 3rd tier brand, 1930s?

My questions: there is no movement in the button, so it doesn't fill. What should I do?

There is a split in the cap. Must be possible to fix.

post-84424-0-24319100-1333550324.jpg

And last but nog least: I am a curious guy. Could I open the pen myself? I'd love to see what magic the button should perform.

Karel

These Hoover pens were made in Japan by a company named Katasuwa. I have an aeromatic. Like Pilot, Sailor and Platinum, there were quite a number of Japanese pen makers using English sounding names have now been lost in the mist of time. Another: Morison, yes, only one 'r', still exists, althought they haven't manufactured pens for a number of years still operae importing European pens into Japan. Some of these companies did produce button fillers.

Hoover pens turn up occasionally

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Can you please post pictures of the pen made my Katasuwa. I assume Katasuwa is either impressed on the barrel, or written on the box or papers that came with the pen. Do you have more information about them as i wish to list this information in the List of Pen Manufacturers in the pinned topics area of this forum and on my website.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

I sure like the script of the writing and may try and adopt it for my everyday.

It's very attractive, flows well, and is easily readable.

Hex, aka George

I fixed one of these up for an FPNer a little over a year ago...

I would have guessed European though.

The pressure bar fit into a tiny metal ring or whatever, inside the barrel. I didn't have one to replace it with so I made it a blow filler.

Well... it was a Hoover Super... I dunno.

Here ya go.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/184761-hoover-super-336/

This is turning into a fascinating thread.

I'm still not convinced this pen was made in Japan. The styling of the body and shape is identical to tons of 2nd and 3rd tier Europeans pens. If this pen were Japanese and from say the 1930's and 1940's, the clip design would have been a bit different from the clip shapes commonly found in Japanese pens of those eras. But since information is so scarce in that era, who knows.

The problem is confounded because there is evidence of a Dutch Hoover. Then there are claims of an Italian Hoover and a Hoover for Japan. Unfortunately, the celluloid pattern on the pen in this thread was common enough to have been used in all three countries.

The situation is similar to Columbus. There is of course the more famous Italian company whose pens I collect but then there is a German Columbus made by the Meissner Brothers. (Thanks to Rick Propoas for clearing that one up).

I guess we need pictures.

@Pickwick-do you have any additional information on Katasuwa? Knowing when the company was active may give a clue.

@SmoutKa-do you have any more clues about the history of your pen? Also, in my first post, I started to write instructions on how to repair the pen but deleted it. I'm less inclined to do that these days because too many people have rushed into repairs by reading something on FPN and have damaged their pens. If you want instructions I can point you in the right direction.

The story gets more interesting once SmoutKa posted this same topic over on the Italian forum.

Edited by AltecGreen

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

This is turning into a fascinating thread.

I'm still not convinced this pen was made in Japan. The styling of the body and shape is identical to tons of 2nd and 3rd tier Europeans pens. If this pen were Japanese and from say the 1930's and 1940's, the clip design would have been a bit different from the clip shapes commonly found in Japanese pens of those eras. But since information is so scarce in that era, who knows.

The problem is confounded because there is evidence of a Dutch Hoover. Then there are claims of an Italian Hoover and a Hoover for Japan. Unfortunately, the celluloid pattern on the pen in this thread was common enough to have been used in all three countries.

The situation is similar to Columbus. There is of course the more famous Italian company whose pens I collect but then there is a German Columbus made by the Meissner Brothers. (Thanks to Rick Propoas for clearing that one up).

I guess we need pictures.

@Pickwick-do you have any additional information on Katasuwa? Knowing when the company was active may give a clue.

@SmoutKa-do you have any more clues about the history of your pen? Also, in my first post, I started to write instructions on how to repair the pen but deleted it. I'm less inclined to do that these days because too many people have rushed into repairs by reading something on FPN and have damaged their pens. If you want instructions I can point you in the right direction.

The story gets more interesting once SmoutKa posted this same topic over on the Italian forum.

Responding to Ricky's comments:

The clip design does not appear pre-war. That is certain. The feed is post-war. That is certain.

This type of plastic was used but, was uncommon in Japan. I have seen it used on both prewar and post-war models.

It is possible the pen was made in Japan during the post-war era. There was experimentation with different filling systems, nib designs, feed designs, and every cosmetic idea one can imagine. In the post-war era there were, literally, hundreds of manufacturers, makers, jobbers, wholesalers, and retailers who put their names on products. I have enumerated a good number in the pinned topics section of this forum and continue to find more all the time. A Japanese Hoover might exist. I would like to see something directly connecting the pen, or even the nib, to Japan.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

Here is the Hoover I have. Last year on ebay a boxed set described as a Kutasawa fountain {which sounds Japanese} pen identical to the photo and a Ballpoint pen of the same design was on offer I. I attempted research on the origins, and it was suggested it might be a Dutch: ' Hoower', but it is definitely spelt: 'Hoover', and the nib is engraved: 'Hoover De Luxe'. It is an aerometric filler with a clear plastic sac and a breather tube installed. There is also an ink window. It never came with a box, but it did look unused.

As a Ballpoint was offered in a set, then it may well be manufactured between the 170s - 80s?

Any further enlightenment would be much appreciated. Hope this helps.

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

Hope I didn't break any rules by posting the same topic on the Italian section.

My clues are limited. This pen has 'always' been in a drawer in my parents house - and I am from 1971.

That home and family are as Dutch as myself. But that is hardly a clue. 90% of consumergoods are imported.

For me as a child there was a touch of mystery around this pen. Like we weren't supposed to touch it.

A vague hint to a history behind it. Monday I meet my brothers and sister. I'll take it with me. Who knows if one of them has a memory.

I can see for certain that the pen on your pictures shares some parts with mine.

Especially the button of the filler. It has exactly the same shape, and even exactly the same corrosion.

The nib looks identical, except for the imprint.

All the plastics and detailing are different.

I fixed one of these up for an FPNer a little over a year ago...

I would have guessed European though.

The pressure bar fit into a tiny metal ring or whatever, inside the barrel. I didn't have one to replace it with so I made it a blow filler.

Well... it was a Hoover Super... I dunno.

Here ya go.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/184761-hoover-super-336/

Here is the Hoover I have. Last year on ebay a boxed set described as a Kutasawa fountain {which sounds Japanese} pen identical to the photo and a Ballpoint pen of the same design was on offer I. I attempted research on the origins, and it was suggested it might be a Dutch: ' Hoower', but it is definitely spelt: 'Hoover', and the nib is engraved: 'Hoover De Luxe'. It is an aerometric filler with a clear plastic sac and a breather tube installed. There is also an ink window. It never came with a box, but it did look unused.

As a Ballpoint was offered in a set, then it may well be manufactured between the 170s - 80s?

Any further enlightenment would be much appreciated. Hope this helps.

This pen is definitely a Japanese pen but certainly no earlier than the mid to late 1950's. This pen is similar in styling and filling mechanism to what other Japanese companies were doing.

I think at this point it is fairly safe to say that there were more than one company in several different countries selling pens under the Hoover name. Both Eric47 and Sanpei name a small Italian company called Hoover. Sanpei seemed to recognize SmoutKa's pen and dates it to the early 1950's. Since the pen was found in the Netherlands and belonged to a Dutch family, I'm inclined to believe the pen is European. I am again reminded of the two different Columbus pen companies.

Stan, do you know what was the export situation for Japanese pens in the pre-war and post-war years?

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Pen is 1960s Japanese. Have, and have seen, many pens with the same clip and the thunbnail nib is definitive.

I am surprised it does not say JAPAN on the base of the cap.

Can you please share what is written on the nib.

The theory of more than one Hoover may be correct. The pen in the first post does not say Japan to me.

In the post-war era I know for sure both Pilot and Platinum made and exported pens to Far Eastern countries. I understand Morison did as well (to the Philippines, I believe)and Sailor had a factory in Taiwan. I have doubts about Europe and America although, I have seen a few Pilots that were sold in Canada. Much had to do with tariffs and that sort of thing. There was also a MADE IN JAPAN stigma that must have inhibited sales.

Before WWII overseas sales of Japanese pens seem limited to Asia. I recall reading Platinum was Thailand and I am certain Pilot was in the British areas. Pilot also had a factory in Shanghai. Due to import restrictions I have doubts many ordinary Japanese pens made it to America.

The name HOOVER fascinates me. HOOVER what? Herbert Hoover. Hoover Dam. Hoover vacuum cleaners. Often names of Japanese pens tie in to something in society or culture.

It reminds me of another unknown brand I collect - SPACE MAN. They seem to have been made in the early-mid 1960s at the height of interest in the space program. There is nothing special about them (well, almost)and the clip on one matches that of the Hoover. Well, almost means one is of solid brass. I've not seen another like this by any other maker. The other (I've only got two) is a cheap Pilot clone. I will take pictures and post.

Edited by stan

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens

This a Morison pocket pen made in Japan. Unfortunately the aeromatic sac leaked which I couldn't replace so I successfully converted it into an eyedropper. It still a reliable writer

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

There is no text on the pen, except the imprint on barrel and nib.

The clip is solid brass. I never cleaned or polished it, but somehow it still looks 'goldish'.

Pen is 1960s Japanese. Have, and have seen, many pens with the same clip and the thunbnail nib is definitive.

I am surprised it does not say JAPAN on the base of the cap.

Can you please share what is written on the nib.

The theory of more than one Hoover may be correct. The pen in the first post does not say Japan to me.

In the post-war era I know for sure both Pilot and Platinum made and exported pens to Far Eastern countries. I understand Morison did as well (to the Philippines, I believe)and Sailor had a factory in Taiwan. I have doubts about Europe and America although, I have seen a few Pilots that were sold in Canada. Much had to do with tariffs and that sort of thing. There was also a MADE IN JAPAN stigma that must have inhibited sales.

Before WWII overseas sales of Japanese pens seem limited to Asia. I recall reading Platinum was Thailand and I am certain Pilot was in the British areas. Pilot also had a factory in Shanghai. Due to import restrictions I have doubts many ordinary Japanese pens made it to America.

The name HOOVER fascinates me. HOOVER what? Herbert Hoover. Hoover Dam. Hoover vacuum cleaners. Often names of Japanese pens tie in to something in society or culture.

It reminds me of another unknown brand I collect - SPACE MAN. They seem to have been made in the early-mid 1960s at the height of interest in the space program. There is nothing special about them (well, almost)and the clip on one matches that of the Hoover. Well, almost means one is of solid brass. I've not seen another like this by any other maker. The other (I've only got two) is a cheap Pilot clone. I will take pictures and post.

• 5 years later...

I think almost for sure the Hoover or Hoover de Luxe pens come from Denmark. Lots of nice brands there pre and postwar.

That is, IMHO, of course.

François