Pelikan M1005

Soer

Can anybody take off my concern!!

I want to purchase a Pelikan M1005 Demonstrator - a beauty- , but I am afraid that the ink stain in the pen will haunt me and I'll be cleaning it all the time.

Is the Pelikan a difficult pen regarding to absorbing ink stain or is the ink you use important.

I ordered this pen twice and I cancelled it with a silly excuse.

Because its a expensive pen and I want to make the right choice with no regrets.

Edited by Soer

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• enricof

• elderberry

• impossiblebird

• Soer

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a M1005 (and a demo M800).

Never had permanent staining issues and both pens are very easy to clean (pretty much everything can be dismantled) BUT they are prone to trapping ink (very difficult or almost impossible to remove) inside the front part of the section.

So, I would suggest you stay far from it if you are an OC-cleaner and do not plan to keep it permanently inked (like I do).

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

I have a M1005 Demonstrator too - I love it - and I find it really easy to clean. Yes, after filling usually some ink ends up between nib unit and section, but I find this fairly easy to clean, just unscrew the nib section and wipe the first cm of the barrel and the nib section with a paper towel. All surfaces are smooth. It's also easy to clean the cap from the inside with a paper towel if there are ink smears/drops or condensation inside.

Still I'm a little afraid I might stain it some day, since it's hard to be sure which inks stain and which don't. They say you should keep away from red inks as a precaution, but someone on FPN also wrote about a blue ink staining his demonstrator. (It was a Diamine blue, not sure which one)

Edited by elderberry

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

I don't know about the M1005 specifically, but in the demonstrators I have, ink gets trapped in the section (presumably only a problem if you change colours frequently, though you could graduate from light to dark as you rotate colours), and between inner and outer cap, as well as under the cap button. I've had no staining of the plastic, though it can be a drag getting into all those nooks and crannies.

I would suggest you stay far from it if you are an OC-cleaner and do not plan to keep it permanently inked (like I do).

You'd think obsessive-complusive cleaners would know to stay well clear, yet look how many insist on having white surfaces in their houses! :blink: I suppose you need to be able to see all the dirt, if you're going to obsess about it effectively!

Edited by impossiblebird

The cap is easy to fully dismantle, if you have ink trapped between cap and inner cap; just unscrew the crown (try to avoid using your tooth...).

The ink trap I'm referring to is not between nib and section: it is inside the section, and is a well known issue with all Pel demos, AFAIK.

It has been extensively discussed and some solutions have been proposed in Pel Forum (see this, for instance, o do a local search for "trapped ink").

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

@ink in section: UGH! Never heard about this before. Well, now i know how to handle it if it happens to my Pelikan.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

@ink in section: UGH! Never heard about this before. Well, now i know how to handle it if it happens to my Pelikan.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhM1CyfxLHY

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

So, I would suggest you stay far from it if you are an OC-cleaner and do not plan to keep it permanently inked (like I do).

OCFPC: Obsessive-compulsive fountain pen cleaner :)

New category of OCD :P

fpn_1333296404__signature.png