Classic Black Ebonite Cigar By Drgortex

professionaldilettante

A while ago, I had contacted Ken about making a pen for me after I saw arecent creation of his, and asked him to make one similar to it. The only thing I had altered was how many turns it took to screw the cap on, increasing it to a total of three turns.

First impressions: The pictures he took of the pen were nice, but it doesn't give you a sense of how long it is. Perhaps it's just that I'm not used to gauging pen sizes. When I slid the shiny black pen from its packaging, I just marveled at how substantial and immaculate it felt in my hand. http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/IMG_6556.jpg

The pen itself is 7 inches of black German ebonite capped, and uncapped (doesn't post) it's just the perfect writing length. The balance sits just right between the web of my thumb and my fingertips.

I forget what brand of nib that Ken used, but I can say it's smooth, and just right in terms of wetness.

Looking inside the body, I'm really tempted to convert it into an eye dropper, but seeing as how regular converters hold more than enough ink with 2-3 pens in rotation, I don't see that being a necessity.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/IMG_6557.jpg

I'm currently contemplating an ebonite Edison Pearl, but seeing this pen in person really makes me reconsider, as all the work is CLEAN. One aspect that shows how much care went into this pen is how the nib unit sits flush with the section. I don't know how he did it, but it's a piece of art.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/kcavers/IMG_6559.jpg

I have to give Ken a big thank you for finding the time to craft it for me!

Edited by professionaldilettante

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• professionaldilettante

• Chi Town

• XiaoMG

• dcpritch

Great Pen!!!!!! I also received my second pen from Ken today.

Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

That is beautiful. I would actually like to hook myself up with something similar, though a bit smaller, and without the German nib. I'd actually be happy to provide a nib and section, and simply ask for a custom barrel and cap. I sort of wish I still had a lathe, but I do not now and would need to rely on outside help. Wonder if Ken or others would be willing to help undertake such a half-hearted project.

Thank you for sharing.

Robert.

Just curious. Why did you want to increase the numbers of turns to uncap?

It just looked like there wasn't enough turns on the cap. I was reassured by Ken that it would be secure, but I told him that I wanted it anyway. Before, he said it took a whole 360 to turn off, but now it takes 3 turns. I don't mind it taking more turns, and it worked out aesthetically.

Blaise Pascal

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

It just looked like there wasn't enough turns on the cap. I was reassured by Ken that it would be secure, but I told him that I wanted it anyway. Before, he said it took a whole 360 to turn off, but now it takes 3 turns. I don't mind it taking more turns, and it worked out aesthetically.

I agree with the decision aesthetically. The previous version may have been secure, but the threading looked too sparse. Yours is a bit more appealing. A broader trapezoidal threading could have probably been a good compromise between number of turns and appearance, but do not know what Ken does to thread and tap the ebonite, so perhaps it is not convenient or effective for him.

Robert.

How do I get in touch with "Ken" ?

How do I get in touch with "Ken" ?

Hey, quit posting and wait for an answer! :roflmho:

Ken can be reached via PM to his FPN name: drgoretex

You can also see his galleries for other pens he's made, at the bottom of his first post on this thread.

I have one and love it! Here's mine:

fpn_1332855185__drgoretex_tortoise_-_3.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Nice pen, thanks for sharing. Looks a lot like the Nakaya long cigar, which is a good thing. Just based on the shape I'm sure it is a very comfortable writer. So, you only have 2-3 pens in rotation? What is wrong? :ltcapd: Enjoy.

What an oaf I am! I posted an answer to Chi Town's question and completely neglected to comment on the pen in question, which is gorgeous! I love the shape, size, and elegant simplicity of this pen - I agree it is very much in style like the Nakaya long cigar.

Congrats on the pen, and kudos to drgoretex!

And Bro, get some more pens inked!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

That is a really nice pen. That is the kind that I could really see myself having as a desk pen when I get to work being a lawyer in the future.

“I put all my genius into my life; I put only my talent into my works.”- Oscar Wilde

50's Mont Blanc 144-G Med nib hopefully getting fixed soon, Parker 51 of undetermined age Med nib

Waterman 515, Lucky Curve Jr., Esterbrook SJ lost, Pilot Vanishing Point, Pelican m400, 3 Esties in the mail.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

An effective way to allow viewers to judge the size of that very nice pen (and boy! do I want one!) is to place an every day object in the photo with the pen - a book of matches, a teaspoon, a couple of coins.

Just a suggestion.

An effective way to allow viewers to judge the size of that very nice pen (and boy! do I want one!) is to place an every day object in the photo with the pen - a book of matches, a teaspoon, a couple of coins.

Just a suggestion.

Yes, until they decide to use something that has two different sizes, such as a nalgene bottle. They have a small and big version, don't know the size off the top of my head, but they are perfect twins, if you didn't have a size reference. Don't really bother me though, it's nice and substantial, and absolutely no complaints.

Blaise Pascal

very nice pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time