Kaweco Special

Rosetta59

Kaweco Special - Review for FP Network

INTRODUCTION: The moment I first saw this FP, I was impressed by the old-fashion design and volume. When I unveiled from the package it appeared exactly as I imagined. The overall aspect is a high quality one. Inside the metallic box (even this old-fashion), there is the FP, an all-plastic converter, a filled cartridge and an empty bottomless one (for cleaning procedures, I believe)

Appearance & Design (9-10) – This Kaweco pen has an appearance reminiscent of the safety pens from the beginning of the last century. Their website tell the reader that a pencil from 1930 served as a prototype. I found out that even some Montblanc safeties from 1910 -1920 have a similar design. Construction appear solid (the FP is solid aluminum and the surface is matte black). The design is today unusual, being long, thin and multifaceted (8x).

Construction & Quality (7-10) – The pen appears quite rugged, since it is solid metal. The feeling is not (as supposedly) cold, and the overall feeling is, in the hand, really pleasing. I can’t see any manufacturing flaws. I can’t figure how the surface is rugged or delicate, only time will tell…

Weight & Dimensions (8-10) – The size and the weight of the pen are exactly what represented on the Kaweco’s website. Closed it measures 142 mm, open 120 mm and posted 167 mm (yes this is my only FP I would post, because the body has a threaded end where you can safely screw the cap on. The cap itself is naked, being without a clip. The diameter is about 10 mm everywhere (the pen is a regular octagonal prism) and the weight is quite comfortable even if posted. I feel ok with the balance both posted and unposted. I would relate the overall dimension to my MB 145, being the Kaweco a trifle thinner. It managed well even in long writing session.

Nib & Performance (9-10) – According to the Kaweco’s website the nib is a polished stainless steel one from Bock in Heidelberg. According to the Bock’s website the nib model is the extra small classic nib, in high alloy steel. Its code is the 060. I preferred the Medium size nib. Other available sizes are EF, F, B and BB. My nib writes smoothly and has some semiflex . It has a moderately wet behaviour with the Diamine tourquoise ink I employed until now. The nib writes medium as expected (actually on the medium/fine side), being able to put down medium-fine lines both on xerox paper and on high quality Fabriano Fabria paper 100 gr/sqm. The nib is absolutely smooth and easily removed, simply by turning the nib unit.

Filling System & Maintenance (9-10) – The filling system is a converter/cartridge one. It employs standard cartridges. An all-plastic converter is included. Two cartridges find place inside the body. The pen did not write at the first attempt with cartridges, you have to allow time for what seems a nib priming. This FP seems easy to be maintained, since parts are quickly disassembled and, as stated above, the nib is simply removable.

Cost & Value (10-10) – I saw the pen on the jetpens.com website (there the price stated is 118 US $). For practical purposes, time and custom duties I bought the pen from the UK-based cultpens.com (I live in Italy). Please, note that this FP seems not available on the Italian market. The pen is new, it arrived in three days from the order and the price has been 79 UK £ including taxes.

I think this is a good deal for a good daily writer like this Kaweco Special.

Conclusion (Final score, 52/60) – The overall feeling is good after some (quite long) writing sessions. The pen seats well in my hands, I never had the metal cold impression and the nib performs flawlessly. My expectations have been exceeded, because I have not planned a nib so good. Even the size and the weight are on the pleasing side. I believe to employ this pen more and more in the future. For this week it will find space on the breast pocket of my white working dress.

I do not see any space to sell this pen in the future.

To be recommended !

post-78007-0-68153500-1332769745.jpg

Greetings from Italy to you all !!

;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosetta59

• lovemy51

• Phormula

• xwingrox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the excellent review and photos!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Great review, thank you!

Construction & Quality (7-10) – The pen appears quite rugged, since it is solid metal. The feeling is not (as supposedly) cold, and the overall feeling is, in the hand, really pleasing. I can’t see any manufacturing flaws. I can’t figure how the surface is rugged or delicate, only time will tell…

How come you gave it a '7' for construction?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Great review, thank you!

I put 7 out of 10 (indeed a good score) because aluminium is not a noble material (at least for FP). I would have preferred ebonite (10/10) or celluloid (8.5/10) for an old-fashioned design. The blackened surface is a question mark: is it durable or not ? Nevertheless the prismatic volume is quite interesting and the whole appearance is nice.

Thanks for the reply,

Greetings from Italy

;)

Great review, thank you!

I put 7 out of 10 (indeed a good score) because aluminium is not a noble material (at least for FP). I would have preferred ebonite (10/10) or celluloid (8.5/10) for an old-fashioned design. The blackened surface is a question mark: is it durable or not ? Nevertheless the prismatic volume is quite interesting and the whole appearance is nice.

Thanks for the reply,

Greetings from Italy

Ah I see, tyvm. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't because you had noticed something specific

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

very nice review! the pen looks very attractive. i specially like the body length. how is the feel of the section with the threads being so close to the nib?

i wonder if they make a clip for it -like the sport's??!! that would make it more appealing!

Beautiful handwriting and PAPER! I always love Kaweco design. So classic yet so modern. :thumbup:

I wonder if the Kaweco Sport accommodation clips will fit on this pen. I presume the finish is anodized aluminum - that worries me; may scratch.

very nice review! the pen looks very attractive. i specially like the body length. how is the feel of the section with the threads being so close to the nib?

i wonder if they make a clip for it -like the sport's??!! that would make it more appealing!

The thread section does not cause troubles. The feel of the section is OK even in the long run. :thumbup:

;)

Up to now I haven't seen any for the Kaweco Special. In any case I wouldn't use a clip because it may scratch the anodized surface.

Greetings from Italy !

:happyberet:

;)

Up to now I haven't seen any for the Kaweco Special. In any case I wouldn't use a clip because it may scratch the anodized surface.

Greetings from Italy !

I took the Special into consideration, then I settled for the Student because of the clip.

Thank you for the excellent review :thumbup:

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

Greetings from Italy !

ciao.

oh, quite right!

ciao, again.

Edited by lovemy51

Thank you for the review and the nice photos. It is indeed a nice pen but the price seems a little high to me...

Mihai

NO

Thank you for the review and the nice photos. It is indeed a nice pen but the price seems a little high to me...

Mihai

I think the price is not cheap, but in comparison with other "old fashion design" pens it is absolutely not expensive.

Greetings from Italy !

;)

Very nice pen! I like the understated look of the matte aluminum. I will be interested to hear your experiences in terms of how it holds up to use.

Edited by FLYBYU

Those who go through life scared of everything arrive safely at death's door...